Experience with NiftyCase?

Modular Synth design and releases (Reaktor, SynthEdit, Tassman, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

4damind wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:56 pm
vurt wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:27 pm yeah, i had an issue with a spring reverb. the module was fine, but the rca plugs pushed it beyond my cases limit :dog:
had to cut bits of the red and white rubber out, so i could angle the cable.
luckily that worked, but now im extra vigilant about depth. which i didnt even check before as id not even considered the fact there might be deeper modules than cases :oops:
Ooh ;)
There are a lot of beautiful cases, even such great looking wood cabinets. Maybe there are the least problems with the A100 (Doepfer) concerning the dimensions, apart from that it is also great for the stage usage
yeah, i went with a mantis, and a make noise skiff(the cartesian build) thinking, well that should keep me going for a bit.
now two years in, im half way through my third mantis rack :hihi:

module wise ive slowed down a lot now though, theres a few more im considering, but spending a lot more time, deciding what will add to the rig, where before anything was adding something i knew id get use from lots!

i may one day, think about getting a nice big wooden (wheeled) case. but for now im happy with the more split system.
each rack, can be used alone, so if i wanted to go jam with friends, i can just grab one :)

4damind wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:00 pm
bharris22 wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:52 pm If I could add my two cents, I highly recommend an Expert Sleepers Disting, especially in a smaller case. That module is insanely useful.
This Expert Sleepers is a multimode module, right? So a bit like all-in one thing but all with digital algorithms?
Yes all digital..
My experience differs from foosies.. I have 2 and will get a 3rd soon. In UK I can grab one for £139... best bang for buck.
Very good for discovering a variety of things... quantiser.. S/H Delays , reverbv... VCO( i sometimes use one as a FM modulator) etc etc.
BTW, It's quiet a deep module and maybe not fit in the nifty cast :shrug:

vurt wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:20 pm
module wise ive slowed down a lot now though, theres a few more im considering, but spending a lot more time, deciding what will add to the rig, where before anything was adding something i knew id get use from lots!

i may one day, think about getting a nice big wooden (wheeled) case. but for now im happy with the more split system.
each rack, can be used alone, so if i wanted to go jam with friends, i can just grab one :)
I think I've slowed down a bit... (every thing is relative OFC ).

My case is a bit like a frankenstein case... it grew from 1 x 104 to 2x 104 with a bit in the middle for putting 32 hp (in 4 x 8 hp) on thier sides... I made a wooden skiff about 160 hp then got a 168hp and sat it ontop of the 104s.. so there were left and right overhangs.. so I bolted on some wooden wings to house about another 80 hp... I'll post a pic soon ;)

well, i should add, i actually started with two rows of bug mod. but thats banana frac not eurorack. :hihi:

vurt wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:20 pm yeah, i went with a mantis, and a make noise skiff(the cartesian build) thinking, well that should keep me going for a bit.
now two years in, im half way through my third mantis rack :hihi:

Mantis by Tiptop Audio... The Mantis Rack has 3 legs and that's of course a great thing on the desktop. But it's made of plastic, how stable is it?

theyre actually pretty stable to be honest.
i used to have 2 next to each other, in the 45 degree config, both were great, even on a polished wood table, although i should have placed some sort of non slip mat. just for peace of mind.

i now have them on shelves, in the upright. again no problems. for plugging and unplugging i do rest a hand on the top of the highest, but i think thats more because its higher than me. the lower one i tend not to feel the need.
the shelves are also open backed, so its not like theres anything aiding them in standing either :)

agaln, rubber matting may make me feel a little better, but so far havent had any slips that have sent me panic buying rolls of rubber :hihi:

Hehe, I can well imagine that the Mantis is designed in such a way that they don't slide off the table, so you don't really need a rubber mat. But good tip with the rack, looks great, doesn't seem to be very heavy and with a maximum depth of 61 mm most modules should fit.

the legs fold in to the body, so on the outer edges you lose a few mil, but ive had no issues aside from that spring reverb.

the feet do have rubber on too, so yeah theyre pretty non slip as it is :)

So I was looking at the cre8audio threads again, seems like most are very happy with it. I guess
it's a bit up to luck as to whether you get a good one or not. Some of them have rails that are
positioned a bit off preventing modules from aligning properly and some of the gate and CV outs
might not work with everything. Overall seems pretty reasonable for a starting case, the power
supply seems pretty cheapy to me, as it does not provide equal power per rail, which can be a
problem with some modules. TBH that is a good measure of psu quality, a good quality psu will
have at a minimum equal power per rail. Doesn't mean it wont work or be reliable, but they were
made that way to save cost pretty much. Basically this means it is converting it's main power to
power the 5v.

toonertik wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:48 pm BTW, It's quiet a deep module and maybe not fit in the nifty cast :shrug:
FWIW, it fits, and so does the EX. With the EX being wider and two boards, its slightly more likely to be obstructed by the sockets on the Nifty power cable, but moving one or other around isnt hard.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

vurt wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:06 pm if you do a search on the 2020 hw purchases thread, whyterabbyt grabbed one of the nifty bundles, case plus a couple modules, he seems very happy with it.
Indeed I am. For the money, I thought it was insane value. The two modules might be a bit quirky for some, but for the additional cost over the bare case, well worth it to me. And for what's priced like a no-frills cheap case, it sure has a lot of frills.

Also, customer support is great. Had a minor issue with the mains plug, and although lockdown slowed things down, they were exceptionally helpful and got me sorted out as soon as they could.

With the Nifty I would manage to get under 1000€... especially because the Midi module is already integrated. But you have to plan very exactly which modules, because you only have one row. There are also some "standard" modules from Doepfer which are very deep and do not fit into the Nifty or the Mantis.
Is there already a thread about the Nifty or which modules users have used?

Yeah, a lot of Doepfer modules wont fit, a lot of their stuff predates shallow cases.

I dont think there's a specific thread about the Nifty, I talked about mine in the '2020 gear' thread.

What Ive got in mine is the original two modules from the Bundle, plus a full set of the Dreadbox Chromatic modules, which fit exactly after I did a swap of the faceplates on the Crea8 modules (as I got part of a run where they were a bit too wide, but they supplied alternates in the box)

Its not really a 'Nifty' thing, though it is a 'nifty' thing in that the Dreadbox modules offer a lot of functionality per module, and sound rather good. I found a YT video of someone who'd basically done the same thing, cant remember who it was though.

whyterabbyt wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:11 pm Its not really a 'Nifty' thing, though it is a 'nifty' thing in that the Dreadbox modules offer a lot of functionality per module, and sound rather good. I found a YT video of someone who'd basically done the same thing, cant remember who it was though.
https://youtu.be/gD8Emy3t1CA
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

Hmmm, that seems right, though I thought it was more 'talky.' Guess I misremembered, watched several on the modules and case/bundle in a row.

Return to “Modular Synthesis”