TDR version of the Molot compressor is out - Molotok (free) and Molot GE

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I would have also much preferred it similar to the original color-scheme with a lighter green and the white/cream GR meter. Also easier on the eye, as far as I'm concerned.
An alternative and very simple "throwback" color scheme would be much welcome.

The darker/lighter green is mainly matter of aesthetic preference, meanwhile the dark red meter with red fonts is a practical/functional matter involving eye-strain, to me at least.

3-minute ugly mockup just for the general idea.
I know there's terrible contrast in the GR meter, text and readout must be darker.

Anyway I'm definitely pleased with the sound and the many interesting features added, like the dynamic saturation, dual comp stage, double threshold in M/S mode, stereo-link crossfeed, alpha/sigma morphing.
Very nice. Will definitely buy it at some point.
Last edited by Niowiad on Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.

crickey13 wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:18 am Any sound differences between this and the old Molot?
Yes it does. It's alot more controllable. And the Saturation is completely new.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

FapFilter wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:35 am It's probably just me, but i think the GUI actually looks much worse than before esthetics wise. And i don't have any nostalgic feelings regarding the OG look as i never actually used that comp before. Always have been curious though never tried for some reason.
Will try later anyway though as i don't have anything against ugly looking plugins. I find it just kinda fascinating as i usually think most plugins look better with each new iteration.

Have to say that i generally don't like the “TDR look“ that much and Volot GE definetly has “that TDR look“.
Take all that with a of salt though as i'm one of those weirdos who thinks Voxengo plugins look great (even some of the old ones like the first Marquis Compressor). And i also use ReaComp with no qualms regarding it's looks.
I can't argue if you don't like the general TDR style. But Molot GE has made giant usability improvements over OG Molot because of the new changes they made to the GUI.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

I quite like the GUI and I can be very picky about them at times.

v1o wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:49 pm
crickey13 wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:18 am Any sound differences between this and the old Molot?
Yes it does. It's alot more controllable. And the Saturation is completely new.
I know it's not much help, but I can at least say I think it sounds "better". I found the original Molot to be fine but not exactly inspiring.

v1o wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:49 pm Yes it does. It's alot more controllable. And the Saturation is completely new.
onerob wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:11 pm I know it's not much help, but I can at least say I think it sounds "better". I found the original Molot to be fine but not exactly inspiring.
Okay, thanks. I will probably just stick with this new free version, as I don't need the extra control and I've already got Klanghelm DC1A3 in case I need this kind of deep compression.

original molot seems a bit...wilder :)
Last edited by robindrieghe on Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I dislike the ugly green. Some color variations like on Slick EQ would be great, or a different shade of green...

anoise wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:45 pm I dislike the ugly green. Some color variations like on Slick EQ would be great, or a different shade of green...
Ditto. It really puts me away from using it... I know "use your ears". But eyes matter.

- Mario

The free version doesn't have Input and Saturation. Those are very useful. The original Molot had those functions hidden in the sub menus. The fine adjustment between the sigma and alfa is cool. But how useful are double threshold and double attack/release? Could you give a short description?

When I already decided to move to free comps only.... now this!

would love to see a dan worrall walkthrough video ...

mabian wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:17 pm
anoise wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:45 pm I dislike the ugly green. Some color variations like on Slick EQ would be great, or a different shade of green...
Ditto. It really puts me away from using it... I know "use your ears". But eyes matter.

- Mario
I like the 'ugly' green, but then I also use Reaper :P

I'm also digging the fact that you can still change the interface language to Russian, not that I can read it, but it enhances the green ugly considerably :D

Please don’t change the big red VU. Looks 3D to me and I love it.

Igro wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:23 pm The free version doesn't have Input and Saturation. Those are very useful. The original Molot had those functions hidden in the sub menus. The fine adjustment between the sigma and alfa is cool. But how useful are double threshold and double attack/release? Could you give a short description?

When I already decided to move to free comps only.... now this!
The saturation exists in the free version it's just linked to the alpha/sigma parameter behind the scenes.

Some presets for GE. These were all cooked up in the last two days using synths, so really track comp type duties. Check the Makeup gain for an idea of gain reduction targets - if you're getting way more reduction you may want to adjust the levels into the comp.

Deep and Slow
<TDRMolotGE InputGain="0.0" SideHP="120" SideHPOn="On" SideRotatorOn="Off" Attack="21" AttackMode="0.90" Release="598" Ratio="4.0" Threshold="-22.7" Knee="0.50" Makeup="6.0" DualStage="Off" SecondaryAttack="2000" SecondaryRelease="2000" SecondaryAttackMix="0.0" FeedbackMode="Off" ReleaseRelax="Off" RatioSpecial="Off" MidEQ="0.0" MidEQOn="Off" MidEQMode="Static" Limiter="0.0" LimOn="Off" SatOn="Off" SatMode="Static" SatDrive="0.0" LoFi="Off" DryMix="0.0" Output="0.0" StereoLink="On" StereoLinkType="Normal" StereoLinkCrossover="1500" StereoMode="Stereo" Quality="Precise" Bypass="Off" SidechainMode="Int. SC" DeltaMode="Off" WidthThreshold="0.0" WidthMakeup="0.0" MeterRange="9 dB" MeterMode="Relative"/>
Hard Knee Four
<TDRMolotGE InputGain="0.0" SideHP="120" SideHPOn="On" SideRotatorOn="Off" Attack="15" AttackMode="1.00" Release="200" Ratio="4.0" Threshold="-20.0" Knee="1.00" Makeup="3.5" DualStage="Off" SecondaryAttack="2000" SecondaryRelease="2000" SecondaryAttackMix="0.0" FeedbackMode="Off" ReleaseRelax="On" RatioSpecial="Off" MidEQ="0.0" MidEQOn="Off" MidEQMode="Static" Limiter="0.0" LimOn="Off" SatOn="On" SatMode="Static" SatDrive="0.0" LoFi="Off" DryMix="0.0" Output="0.0" StereoLink="On" StereoLinkType="Normal" StereoLinkCrossover="1500" StereoMode="Stereo" Quality="Precise" Bypass="Off" SidechainMode="Int. SC" DeltaMode="Off" WidthThreshold="0.0" WidthMakeup="0.0" MeterRange="9 dB" MeterMode="Relative"/>
Transparent and Deep
<TDRMolotGE InputGain="0.0" SideHP="120" SideHPOn="On" SideRotatorOn="Off" Attack="18" AttackMode="0.40" Release="200" Ratio="4.0" Threshold="-20.0" Knee="0.50" Makeup="5.5" DualStage="On" SecondaryAttack="600" SecondaryRelease="3300" SecondaryAttackMix="12.0" FeedbackMode="On" ReleaseRelax="On" RatioSpecial="Off" MidEQ="0.0" MidEQOn="Off" MidEQMode="Static" Limiter="0.0" LimOn="Off" SatOn="On" SatMode="Static" SatDrive="0.0" LoFi="Off" DryMix="0.0" Output="0.0" StereoLink="On" StereoLinkType="Normal" StereoLinkCrossover="1500" StereoMode="Stereo" Quality="Precise" Bypass="Off" SidechainMode="Int. SC" DeltaMode="Off" WidthThreshold="0.0" WidthMakeup="0.0" MeterRange="9 dB" MeterMode="Relative"/>
Dual and Slow
<TDRMolotGE InputGain="0.0" SideHP="120" SideHPOn="On" SideRotatorOn="Off" Attack="21" AttackMode="0.90" Release="598" Ratio="4.0" Threshold="-22.7" Knee="0.50" Makeup="6.0" DualStage="On" SecondaryAttack="2000" SecondaryRelease="2000" SecondaryAttackMix="0.0" FeedbackMode="Off" ReleaseRelax="Off" RatioSpecial="Off" MidEQ="0.0" MidEQOn="Off" MidEQMode="Static" Limiter="0.0" LimOn="Off" SatOn="On" SatMode="Dynamic" SatDrive="1.0" LoFi="Off" DryMix="0.0" Output="0.0" StereoLink="On" StereoLinkType="Normal" StereoLinkCrossover="1500" StereoMode="Stereo" Quality="Precise" Bypass="Off" SidechainMode="Int. SC" DeltaMode="Off" WidthThreshold="0.0" WidthMakeup="0.0" MeterRange="9 dB" MeterMode="Relative"/>
Crispy Peak Shaver
<TDRMolotGE InputGain="0.0" SideHP="130" SideHPOn="On" SideRotatorOn="Off" Attack="1.6" AttackMode="0.00" Release="110" Ratio="4.0" Threshold="-22.7" Knee="0.66" Makeup="5.0" DualStage="Off" SecondaryAttack="2000" SecondaryRelease="2000" SecondaryAttackMix="0.0" FeedbackMode="On" ReleaseRelax="Off" RatioSpecial="Off" MidEQ="0.0" MidEQOn="Off" MidEQMode="Static" Limiter="-6.5" LimOn="On" SatOn="On" SatMode="Dynamic" SatDrive="2.5" LoFi="Off" DryMix="0.0" Output="0.0" StereoLink="On" StereoLinkType="Normal" StereoLinkCrossover="1500" StereoMode="Stereo" Quality="Precise" Bypass="Off" SidechainMode="Int. SC" DeltaMode="Off" WidthThreshold="0.0" WidthMakeup="0.0" MeterRange="9 dB" MeterMode="Relative"/>

Return to “Effects”