New Pigments 2 Thread (On Topic Discussion Only, Please)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Palette for Arturia Pigments 2 Pigments 5

Anybody know how this performs on a more modern CPU? Is it still heavy on the load or does it take advantage of all that fancy AVX stuff and what not? I'm considering upgrading to a new system but I'm still a bit hesitant. Been eyeing the various AMD laptops but so far it's a bit too early to tell how reliable those are in terms of latency/general performance for audio.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

I actually don't think it's a CPU hog, it depends on which features are enabled. The presets tend to have everything on by default.
Every day takes figuring out all over again how to f#ckin’ live.

Two granular oscillators with high grain density and long grain times are very CPU hungry but that's normal. Other than that Pigments is not very CPU demanding.

Using the standalone version my CPU usage hovered around 2.5 - 3.5% (depending on the preset of course) with a 3 or 4 note chord. My new PC has an i7 10700 2.9GHz 8 core CPU.

Awesome! Yeah, it's as I thought. I've got a super old laptop with an Intel i7 3630QM (45w tdp cpu) so no surprise it isn't coping well with most new synths.

I'll probably upgrade beginning of next year but I want to keep an eye on what happens with the new Macs before deciding.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

liquidsound wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:04 am Believe, he fits perfectly at an Italian dinner table with some loud in-laws :D
ok, I am going to insist this is the last post about that subject...I'm gonna zap any new ones. :)
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Examigan wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:21 pm Using the standalone version my CPU usage hovered around 2.5 - 3.5% (depending on the preset of course) with a 3 or 4 note chord. My new PC has an i7 10700 2.9GHz 8 core CPU.
It's quite high. The same consumption I've had with my old i7-860. My new Ryzen 9300x is about 0,5 - 0,8% with 3-4 note chord (using Reaper). Formerly I've had big problems with complex patches but everything is much smoother now.

Hink wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:03 pm
liquidsound wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:04 am Believe, he fits perfectly at an Italian dinner table with some loud in-laws :D
ok, I am going to insist this is the last post about that subject...I'm gonna zap any new ones. :)
That was last one from me, but just to clarify it was complement (very few humans can deal with some Italian in-laws, I know that very well, I’m an Italian :help: been there, done that )
MuLab-Reaper of course :D

boriskarloff wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:03 pm
Examigan wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:21 pm Using the standalone version my CPU usage hovered around 2.5 - 3.5% (depending on the preset of course) with a 3 or 4 note chord. My new PC has an i7 10700 2.9GHz 8 core CPU.
It's quite high. The same consumption I've had with my old i7-860. My new Ryzen 9300x is about 0,5 - 0,8% with 3-4 note chord (using Reaper). Formerly I've had big problems with complex patches but everything is much smoother now.
I checked the CPU in the task manager of Windows using the standalone version. What presets did you check? Maybe I can try those out here and see what I get.

EDIT:
After clicking on the Details tab of the Task Manager, that shows the CPU never getting above 1% for Pigments.

Please set to a Performance mode in the Battery options (might have a different name on a desktop machine) if this is the case.
Last edited by Igro on Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Examigan wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:19 pm
boriskarloff wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:03 pm
I checked the CPU in the task manager of Windows using the standalone version. What presets did you check? Maybe I can try those out here and see what I get.

EDIT:
After clicking on the Details tab of the Task Manager, that shows the CPU never getting above 1% for Pigments.
O.K. lets try it this way.

Presets/PADS/5th sweep (one note) - Task Manager - 1,3%
Presets/PADS/Above Sheer Beauty (three notes) - TM - 1,2%
Presets/PADS/Abyss (three notes) - TM - 1,7%
Presets/PADS/Space Pad (three notes) - TM - 1,5%
Presets/PADS/Alhambra (three notes) - TM - 1,9%

Mario

I have less CPU consumption using inside Reaper. Interesting...

boriskarloff wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:03 pm I have less CPU consumption using inside Reaper. Interesting...
That's true :o
MuLab-Reaper of course :D

I didn't check all those presets yet, but I just noticed within Cakewalk playing one note using 5th Sweep preset it was usually 1.8 - 2.2%. Maybe the standalone version is more CPU hungry for some reason?

As for your CPU versus my own, I believe yours is a 12 core?

Yes, 12 cores @ 3.8 GHz.

Return to “Instruments”