Why did you leave Studio One?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Why did you leave Studio One?

I didn't. Bro. But thanks for asking anyway.

Nobody leaves Studio One, its where people end up.... :wink:
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

:tu:

+1 For not leaving Studio One.
If every KVR member wrote one review a year we'd have 1340 reviews each day!

SLiC wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:33 pm Nobody leaves Studio One, its where people end up.... :wink:
Wouldn't say that. For modern music makers it's still either Fl Studio. Logic or Ableton. With projects mixed in Pro Tools.

The pace of releases and adding 40 plus features per update reminds of what Ableton (Live 8) and Cubase (version 7) were doing. Via the facebook group never seen so many complaints for Presonus as for bugs/crashes. You remember Live 8 and Cubase 7. Those were terrible releases where customers jumped ship.

wuworld wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:19 pm The pace of releases and adding 40 plus features per update reminds of what Ableton (Live 8) and Cubase (version 7) were doing.
Truely the one thing I dislike. I can see where they're coming from though. People want that and buy that. What can you do?

why did you?

I have a few issues with the MIDI editor. If those get resolved, I may come back to it.

I want to be able to select/insert/move notes quickly without having to use the keyboard. Specifically, I would like the right drag to select notes. Or even better, make mouse actions fully configurable.

I don't like how the select tool snaps to grid. I have no use for it, and miss notes sometimes because of it. I want to be able to select without snapping and move notes with snapping without having to enable and disable snap all the time.

Lastly, I want to be able to get the editor to remember the length of the last note when inserting a new note.

mdstudio wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:48 pm I have a few issues with the MIDI editor. If those get resolved, I may come back to it.

I want to be able to select/insert/move notes quickly without having to use the keyboard. Specifically, I would like the right drag to select notes. Or even better, make mouse actions fully configurable.

I don't like how the select tool snaps to grid. I have no use for it, and miss notes sometimes because of it. I want to be able to select without snapping and move notes with snapping without having to enable and disable snap all the time.

Lastly, I want to be able to get the editor to remember the length of the last note when inserting a new note.
This is exactly why I left. Midi editor not configurable enough for me. I use Reaper now, and now that I've configured it extensively, it would take something pretty huge to get me to consider going back.

Funny you mentioned the selection tools snapping to grid, that always bothered me more than it seems it should.

I think the FL studio midi editor is a great standard to compare to. It always seems like midi editors are just tacked on without thought it in most DAWs. It never seems like they took the time to learn a couple of midi editors in other DAWs, and get fluent with them before they design their own. That's when you start really understanding the pro's and con's of a particular design. S1's is pretty close in certain ways, but not quite there.

Yeah, if only Cakewalk, Steinberg, eMagic and rest knew back than that they should cater to future bedroom producers who will just pencil in everything.

I've yet to arrive

wuworld wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:15 pm ... With projects mixed in Pro Tools.
Why on earth should I use the worst DAW for that...

...only the fact that it was the most chosen DAW for recording 2-3 decades ago doesn´t make it even considerable nowadays... it´s an ancient relict from which most people turn away from...

I leave it every night when I go to sleep

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”