Amplitube5 - Release Date 15-16/12/2020

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
AmpliTube 5 Guitar Rig Pro

I don’t get the Neural DSP either...lots of hype..they sound OK but not nothing special. All amp sims sound good or bad depending who is using them (workman, tools etc). They can all sound like a recorded amp, but none of them sound like a real amp (not through monitor speakers anyway) so I still prefer to play in to a real amp, even if I take a DI and use a sim to re-amp later.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

AC222 wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:31 am Dang with all that neuro DSP hype I'd expect those vsts to sound like real amps
Where there is hype, usually you only find hype. I did.
“In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.”

escalona wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:06 pm
AC222 wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:31 am Dang with all that neuro DSP hype I'd expect those vsts to sound like real amps
Where there is hype, usually you only find hype. I did.
Only me, right? Is that why two other people essentially said the same thing as I did in the past day. Can you read?

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
I’d like to see a dedicated Power Amp section control, System wide.

192/32 compatibility - we are after at least another 5y+ future proofing, after all.

iOS-PC(mac) preset interchangeability (only reason I don’t dig iOS version as I’m not into rebuilding my presets from scratch again (at3->at4 users might feel me on this one))

Guess a couple of months ago I’d still be after embedded IR support, but since I was able to build an IR from my fav preset’s AT4 cabroom section for use with my hardware cabloader, I’m no longer itchy on that one...
Echoes in the Attic wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:38 am Amplitube doesn't use convolution for the amp cabs I'm pretty sure.
Apparently their staff disagrees...
https://cgi.ikmultimedia.com/ikforum/vi ... &start=15 (https://cgi.ikmultimedia.com/ikforum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13602&sid=b3be20c72b9691b5db065c28170c958d&start=15)

Ray Leece wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:56 am
Neural DSP doesn't have models of specific amps. What I want is a model of my amp and pedals. AmpliTube has it. Some "generic" amp model isn't going to do it for me. I'm not making pop diva tracks here.
yet Cory Wong pack does better Fender cleans than Amplitube Fender could ever produce. paradoxical, ain't it?

it's a wrong perception that something with a brand logo slapped on will automatically sound more genuine than option X. it's a part of the marketing trickery.

Neural DSP have emulations of hardware. what do you think Fortin, Omega, Darkglass amps are? Artist packs are also based on existing hardware, but doesn't mention name due to copyright. But nothing generic about them. They sound great.

Seems like unnecessary bashing of the company to me. Do your research next time before you speak. In the end, it doesn't matter if something has logo on it or not, if it sounds good, it's good, period.

I guess some people sleep better if their amp sims have a neat logo put in the corner LMAO. OCD much, eh?
You're fixated on logos. That is a total straw man argument.
I didn't say anything about logos, and that's not what I'm talking about.

The AmpliTube British Collection models really nail the amps, without Marshall logos. I can dial in a familiar setting on a JCM and get back the tone I am expecting. Same for the Dimebag JC-120. That is what I'm talking about.

This is about having accurate digital models of my amps, that have the same controls that do the same things and reliably reproduce the same tones that I use in my songs. Virtual stand-ins for my own amps, which is a lot more convenient than miking up my own.

I've tried Neural DSP amps and they're fine, but nothing special. As for realism, they perform no better or worse than the latest AmpliTube models. I don't think that's an issue anymore when it comes to amp modeling. Any difference on that front is going to be marginal between fully invested developers.

The Neural DSP ampsims are good, if you want to play a Neural DSP amp. I see them as I would see a new amp from a boutique hardware manufacturer. What I don't see them as is accurate reproductions of entire rigs with specific amps, pedals, and cabs that exist IRL, which is what I want, personally. That has everything to do with me owning (and wanting) certain classic amplifiers and pedals, because of their unique tone and history. That's not what Neural DSP does, which is fine. They are targeting a different market. It just happens to not be the one I'm in.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

All this segues with what I want / expect from AmpliTube 5:

AmpliTube has been steadily moving more towards full, detailed emulations of amps with each new version. I want (and expect) to see further movement in that direction. I'd like to see old models revisited to make them 100% faithful to the original hardware in sound and features, because while there are LOTS of models in AmpliTube, no one in their right mind is going to load up one from 2002 over one from 2020. They should ditch the old "flexi" models completely and reintroduce reworked models of some of those amps, like the Supro and JMP. Every model in AmpliTube ought be be eminently usable and 100% true to the original gear. Some of the old pedals could use a retouch as well, to more accurately match the hardware.

I would like to see the guitar input give you the option of left, right, or stereo input, and implement input gain compensation so you always have the optimal signal level coming in. It would be great if we could run stereo output from the Chorus-1 pedal. This would require more signal chain flexibility, which is definitely needed. It ought to be freely configurable. And speaking of chorus pedals, I'm hoping they finally give us the "holy grail" of all chorus pedals: the BOSS CE-2. Not having that (and the MXR Distortion+) are glaring oversights from a "must-have" pedal standpoint.

And of course, as I already mentioned, I'd like to see further development of the cab implementation that could "lift the veil" from the static impulses. Maybe develop the hybrid VRM ("Volumetric Response Modeling") some more to make the speakers themselves respond more dynamically and add speaker distortion. It would be cool to be able to dial in cone condition from "showroom" to "blown."

bmanic wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:22 pm Amplitube just needs to sound a whole lot better and it'll be fine. Don't know what it is about Amplitube 4 but it sounds pretty damn bad to me.
I disagree. There's been a constant improvement in Amplitube's modelling starting around Mesa which was the last collection they introduced before Amplitube 4. Maybe Orange came first, but I would put all the collections before this point in a separate category. Consider Mesa the beginning of the new generation, with several modelling improvements since. If you want to see the extent of IK's modelling capabilities look at what they accomplished with the Leslies.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

Whatever the case.. I upgraded amplitube 3 to amplitube 4 and ended up not really liking the improvements back then, it's always sounded sort of harsh to my ears. Quite a lot of buildup of problems in the 2 to 5kHz area in an unnatural way. So yeah, I sort of gave up on it for guitar amp simulation. Like I said, I do use it for other stuff though.

Good to hear they improved it with later packs though. Will definitely check out Amplitube 5 when it comes out.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

Just generally, to whoever it may concern...The stock/default cab mic'ing has the SM57 right over the dust cap, which does tend to sound a bit harsh in isolation. I always move the mics around as I do when I record real cabs and have found quite good results when doing so. The stock/default mixer setup is not to my taste, but is easily remedied.

Making an INIT patch for yourself with a more pleasing mic and mixer setup really brings out the best of the cab section. I don't think IR import will ever be a feature and I don't think it is needed as the cab section is far more intuitive and easier than using IRs, especially if you've spent a lot of time recording hardware amps. The cab section is quite good sounding if you know your way around the differences between speakers/cabs and mic combos. I get the expected results when changing speaker type or moving mics into positions I'd normally record with.

I'm concerned this will be MODO Guitar and not Amplitube 5, which would be of no use to me. What I would like to see from the next version of Amplitube would be to drop all of the (roughly) 10-15 year old amp models out of it and get those basic classics remodeled (full EQ AC-30, '68 Plexi lead, '59 Bassman, etc).

Some of the missing classics added would be nice like a Matchless DC-30, Diezel VH-4, etc.

Just add on...I've been using Amplitube since version 2 I think, and definitely agree with what has been stated about the constant improvement. I do think they had a major shift around the time of the Mesa pack and version 4 in the way that they did the modeling. I'm finding myself going to A4 much more than to my amps as it is so much easier. The Brit Collection, SVX2, and the May/Satriani packs sound really, really good. Red Pig (Brit), '57 Pro (from Fender 2) for guitar, SVX-VR or SVX-15n are used on almost every project.

I want to see a David Gilmour collection. Upgraded Hiwatt and the other amps he used, and there are lots of pedals he used that aren't there yet. I like how they have the rigs of specific songs as presets for their artist packs. The Hendrix collection doesn't use their best amps these days, but still good fun.

If it's MODO guitar, I wouldn't mind, Amplitube 5 will be along eventually. Though I'd probably wait on a sale for MODO guitar. And if it doesn't have polyphonic pitchbend for mpe devices, I might not go for it at all.

Do you guys think MODO guitar will include acoustic guitars? I'm not sure.

jamcat wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:32 pm All this segues with what I want / expect from AmpliTube 5:

AmpliTube has been steadily moving more towards full, detailed emulations of amps with each new version. I want (and expect) to see further movement in that direction. I'd like to see old models revisited to make them 100% faithful to the original hardware in sound and features, because while there are LOTS of models in AmpliTube, no one in their right mind is going to load up one from 2002 over one from 2020. They should ditch the old "flexi" models completely and reintroduce reworked models of some of those amps, like the Supro and JMP. Every model in AmpliTube ought be be eminently usable and 100% true to the original gear. Some of the old pedals could use a retouch as well, to more accurately match the hardware.
I think they keep the old models around so as to maintain compatibility with people's projects. So they do new versions but keep the old, which is the best approach to keep everyone happy. Though it might make sense to be able to hide "legacy" amps and their presets at some point.

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:45 pm
jamcat wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:32 pm All this segues with what I want / expect from AmpliTube 5:

I think they keep the old models around so as to maintain compatibility with people's projects. So they do new versions but keep the old, which is the best approach to keep everyone happy. Though it might make sense to be able to hide "legacy" amps and their presets at some point.
You make some good points, and you're probably right about that. At some point, they need to just cut bait and make a break from the past, though. Most people who try AmpliTube for the first time know little about it and have no idea that there is are large swaths of models that should be avoided at all costs. So what's the probability that they load up a stinker, are terribly disappointed, and uninstall AmpliTube never to use it again? Pretty high, given the number of stinkers. Even higher when you consider the DEFAULT amp is one of those stinkers. Keeping those old amps that put AT in a bad light is a poor business decision. For a company that focuses on marketing as much as IK does, you'd expect them to not make such an obvious mistake.

If they do keep the older models, I hope they at least update them (and not just superficially), whether that's now or as a gradual process to rework each one so they are all up to the same standards as post-Mesa Boogie models. An example would be the THD amp. It's "officially certified" but it doesn't have an "Attitude" knob, and instead has reverb that doesn't belong. All AT2 era "flexi" models such as the THD completely ignore the real controls on the hardware in favour of shoe-horning them all into a one-size-fits-all format. That has to go.

Synthient Sound wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:27 pm I'm concerned this will be MODO Guitar and not Amplitube 5, which would be of no use to me.

I don't think so.
jamcat wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:55 pm If you go to https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/modoguitar/ you get "Page not found."
If you go to https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/amplitube5/ you get a blank page...

Thanks, jamcat. :)

The sneak peek looks like a Dark Side of the Moon

Return to “Effects”