Studio One 5 Available Now (5.3 Out June 29th, 2021)

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Studio One Artist Studio One Professional

chk071 wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:46 am
Yes, but, the way I understand it, it doesn't give you a sharper picture. At least it doesn't do here. It's rather blurry. And, I don't see the point at all for a 4K resolution on a 24" display (I have one too).

As BONES said, you can't go around the limitation of physically having less pixels. It might give you a 0.1% better picture in games, but, it won't give you a sharper picture, like a display with a higher resolution does (considering you have a big enough display that stuff doesn't become tiny, or you have to scale to make things work).

IMO, it's more of a placebo.
The only real thing it affects is the fonts in making them blurry as you up the scale and thus makes them smaller, however if you have applications which have builtin font scaling and Hi-DPI support, you can compensate for that, whilst at the same time benefiting from increased screen real estate which you would never otherwise have. This makes a huge difference in working with high resolution images (2K / 4K textures for example), video as well as multiple applications across the Windows desktop besides games that take advantage of this tech. Older applications which don't have font scaling and Hi-DPI Support can be accommodated to work by going back to 1080P if need be. Studio One 3 to 5 supports, HI-DPI which means that your desktop and everything else can remain at 1440P, so no screwing around changing resolution.

For me my default is 1440P because that's enough headroom to allow me to do what I need as a default resolution but with 3200x1800 and 3840x2160 also being available should I need it, one has that option. So not only do you maximise the performance of your PC by using a more modern graphics card that balances correctly in not bottlenecking your CPU, you save money by not having to buy a new 2K / 4K monitor which may not be a requisite requirement but still enjoy the benefits that virtualisation brings.

I have an LG IPS LED 24" Monitor / TV for one screen and my other is a Samsung https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... l/overview

The image quality is vastly superior to that of the LG screen with a super black contrast level of 70000:1. So newer screen tech doesn't mean quality is going to be any better than previous or alternate technology.

In regard to upgrading to Studio One 5.1 from 4.6, based upon what's been added, I'd have to say that's a nope for me, as nice as they may be in polishing things up with a duster.

Here's what I'd love to see in Studio One...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tusbvk07Jko
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

v1o wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:38 amBones I thought you switched permanently to Cubase.
We did the last album in Cubase but we were planning to stick with Orion for live shows, until I heard about the Show Page feature of Studio One. After checking out S1, I like it more than Cubase so I've decided to start using it for everything. My bandmate is sticking with Cubase, though, at least for the time being, so I still need both. S1 feels like Cubase without all the baggage of 20-odd years of development.
dellboy wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:29 pmDecent clip launching and clip recording would have been the push I needed to upgrade.
I'm the opposite, adding shit like that would make me think S1 was possibly not for me, just as I should have realised before I spent the money that Bitwig wasn't for me.
THE INTRANCER wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:32 pmThis makes a huge difference in working with high resolution images (2K / 4K textures for example), video as well as multiple applications across the Windows desktop
No it doesn't. We work with scaled images in Photoshop and scaled video in Premiere and After Effects every hour of every day and it doesn't stop us winning awards for our work.
Older applications which don't have font scaling and Hi-DPI Support can be accommodated to work by going back to 1080P if need be.
This is exactly the sort of thing I am talking about - what a f**king palaver, trying to work out what's compatible and what isn't, all so that Apple can sell you a newer phone or tablet. I need every ounce of graphics grunt to run my applications, I don't want it being wasted on pushing pixels up and down.
Here's what I'd love to see in Studio One... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tusbvk07Jko
Again, if you buy the correct monitor for your needs, none of that stuff matters.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

For photographic and illustrative purposes the move to 4k is a collosal improvement; you get an accurate representation of how things would look in print form without needing to do test prints. That saves loads of money. For other purposes I'm not sure what I would consider optimal, but the fact is resolution independence is necessary now.
Every day takes figuring out all over again how to f#ckin’ live.

Further to the clip launching and recording feature that never happened, would it turn people to Studio One or away ?

Its been commented here that it would possibly make someone reconsider carrying on using Studio One if clip launching was introduced - but why ?

In Logic its just another tool to use now, its there if you want it, if not, then ignore it.

Is the opposition to it based on the idea that the devs would spend too much time developing it ?

I should point out that I have little interest in "clip launching" - its "clip recording" that I find useful and fun to use sometimes as an alternative to linear recording.

Wish the mods would split out the 4K derail - I keep hoping this thread has something new and interesting about S1 (in particularly I'm waiting for them to fully implement MPE before upgrading from 4) but no, more stuff about monitors.
Last edited by aMUSEd on Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

chagzuki wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:25 am For photographic and illustrative purposes the move to 4k is a collosal improvement; you get an accurate representation of how things would look in print form without needing to do test prints. That saves loads of money. For other purposes I'm not sure what I would consider optimal, but the fact is resolution independence is necessary now.
This- if you only use a computer for music I guess you can pick a monitor that is just good for music software, if you look at or edit Hi-Dpi pictures or video, watch media or play games on your computer as well, then I would recommend 4K (you can always choose to run at a lower resolution, but why not have the option to go higher and future proof?)
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

[edit] nevermind
MacMini M2 Pro . 32GB . 2TB . . Renoise……Reason 12……Live 12 Push 2

aMUSEd wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:29 am Wish the mods would split out the 4K derail - I keep hoping this thread has something new and interesting about S1 (in particularly I'm waiting for them to fully implement MPE before upgrading from 4) but no, more stuff about monitors.
If Studio One adds the sort of per note editing like Bitwig has (especially pitch) and fully implements MPE in general, I could imagine using Studio One as my complimentary DAW instead of Logic.

dellboy wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:23 am Further to the clip launching and recording feature that never happened, would it turn people to Studio One or away ?

Its been commented here that it would possibly make someone reconsider carrying on using Studio One if clip launching was introduced - but why ?

In Logic its just another tool to use now, its there if you want it, if not, then ignore it.

Is the opposition to it based on the idea that the devs would spend too much time developing it ?

I should point out that I have little interest in "clip launching" - its "clip recording" that I find useful and fun to use sometimes as an alternative to linear recording.
I think I played around with clip launching in Logic a few times when it came out but other than that I haven't touched it since. For one its a bit cumbersome with out any real controller support (except an iPad) to take advantage of it.

I don't know if clip launching would change my view of S1, it didn't for Logic but I personally prefer S1 stay the way it is and that Presonus concentrate on other things like stability. Since 5.1 came out I've had nothing but crashes.
Studio One // Bitwig // Logic Pro X // Ableton 11 // Reason 11 // FLStudio // MPC // Force // Maschine

BONES wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:31 am We did the last album in Cubase but we were planning to stick with Orion for live shows, until I heard about the Show Page feature of Studio One. After checking out S1, I like it more than Cubase so I've decided to start using it for everything. My bandmate is sticking with Cubase, though, at least for the time being, so I still need both. S1 feels like Cubase without all the baggage of 20-odd years of development.
It is exactly that for me. :)

pdxindy wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:34 pmIf Studio One adds the sort of per note editing like Bitwig has (especially pitch)
What is "per note editing"? Isn't pitch precisely what a note is? And don't you edit it by moving it around in the piano roll? Is it the kind of thing you can do in an Elektron sequencer with trigs? I hate that fiddly shit because you can't just look at it and see what's going on. It makes some small sense on a hardware sequencer, where you have a fixed, very limited, number of tracks available but not in a software sequencer, where you can add a million tracks if you need to. Or is it something else entirely?
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:49 am
pdxindy wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:34 pmIf Studio One adds the sort of per note editing like Bitwig has (especially pitch)
What is "per note editing"? Isn't pitch precisely what a note is? And don't you edit it by moving it around in the piano roll? Is it the kind of thing you can do in an Elektron sequencer with trigs? I hate that fiddly shit because you can't just look at it and see what's going on. It makes some small sense on a hardware sequencer, where you have a fixed, very limited, number of tracks available but not in a software sequencer, where you can add a million tracks if you need to. Or is it something else entirely?
I mean per note pitch modulation... yes the note is the initial pitch, then there is the pitch modulation during the duration of the note... like on a Roli or Linnstrument

So pitch bend, then. It's already there.

yeah being able to give slide or pitch bend to notes independently of each other in the same MIDI track is pretty cool. In Bitwig’s editor you can easily define the start and end points of the slide. Obviously you need an MPE compliant instrument to send it to. As I’ve never owned an MPE controller this is the only MPE stuff I’ve seen for myself so far.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

BONES wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:58 am So pitch bend, then. It's already there.
In Bitwig, each note has its own pitch bend data right on the note... easy to edit because the scale is in semitones (piano roll) and because you can drag a note and the pitch data is part of it... even if notes overlap.

In Logic, it is a regular pitchbend or CC automation lane. Not easily edited in semitones and its in a separate place.

Since I do a lot of MPE stuff, I mainly use Bitwig for that cause of the ease of editing. Studio One is better in lots of ways compared to Bitwig. If Studio One adds MPE editing like Bitwig, that would make it a temptation for me.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”