TDR version of the Molot compressor is out - Molotok (free) and Molot GE

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Love love the ugly green
But I liked the lighter ugly green because it was uglier

fese wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:15 pmThe "problem" for me is just that the free variants are pretty much all I need, I rarely have the urge to buy the GE versions (except Slick EQ) which mostly add features that are too complicated me... I prefer plugins with a limited parameter set that are simple and fast to use. The Molot GE kinda scares me :oops:
I tend to use Nova to cut resonances and Slick EQ to boost.

On Nova the 2 extra bands are handy, and the feature where it learns the audio input and matches resonances is a time saver to get you started.

Then on all plugins the equal loudness workflow is another time saver that helps make good (or at least reasonable) decisions faster.

The free variants are certainly generous, which is what drove me to buy the bundle on the last sale. Now it is 20€ cheaper and including Molot on Audiodeluxe :dog: . With those 120$(101€) you can have all your EQ and Compressor needs covered.

WRT the GUI, in my case I'd have preferred a white VU on Molot it's not a big deal. It is readable.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:37 pm Some presets for GE. These were all cooked up in the last two days using synths, so really track comp type duties. Check the Makeup gain for an idea of gain reduction targets - if you're getting way more reduction you may want to adjust the levels into the comp.

Deep and Slow
<TDRMolotGE InputGain="0.0" SideHP="120" SideHPOn="On" SideRotatorOn="Off" Attack="21" AttackMode="0.90" Release="598" Ratio="4.0" Threshold="-22.7" Knee="0.50" Makeup="6.0" DualStage="Off" SecondaryAttack="2000" SecondaryRelease="2000" SecondaryAttackMix="0.0" FeedbackMode="Off" ReleaseRelax="Off" RatioSpecial="Off" MidEQ="0.0" MidEQOn="Off" MidEQMode="Static" Limiter="0.0" LimOn="Off" SatOn="Off" SatMode="Static" SatDrive="0.0" LoFi="Off" DryMix="0.0" Output="0.0" StereoLink="On" StereoLinkType="Normal" StereoLinkCrossover="1500" StereoMode="Stereo" Quality="Precise" Bypass="Off" SidechainMode="Int. SC" DeltaMode="Off" WidthThreshold="0.0" WidthMakeup="0.0" MeterRange="9 dB" MeterMode="Relative"/>
Hard Knee Four
<TDRMolotGE InputGain="0.0" SideHP="120" SideHPOn="On" SideRotatorOn="Off" Attack="15" AttackMode="1.00" Release="200" Ratio="4.0" Threshold="-20.0" Knee="1.00" Makeup="3.5" DualStage="Off" SecondaryAttack="2000" SecondaryRelease="2000" SecondaryAttackMix="0.0" FeedbackMode="Off" ReleaseRelax="On" RatioSpecial="Off" MidEQ="0.0" MidEQOn="Off" MidEQMode="Static" Limiter="0.0" LimOn="Off" SatOn="On" SatMode="Static" SatDrive="0.0" LoFi="Off" DryMix="0.0" Output="0.0" StereoLink="On" StereoLinkType="Normal" StereoLinkCrossover="1500" StereoMode="Stereo" Quality="Precise" Bypass="Off" SidechainMode="Int. SC" DeltaMode="Off" WidthThreshold="0.0" WidthMakeup="0.0" MeterRange="9 dB" MeterMode="Relative"/>
Transparent and Deep
<TDRMolotGE InputGain="0.0" SideHP="120" SideHPOn="On" SideRotatorOn="Off" Attack="18" AttackMode="0.40" Release="200" Ratio="4.0" Threshold="-20.0" Knee="0.50" Makeup="5.5" DualStage="On" SecondaryAttack="600" SecondaryRelease="3300" SecondaryAttackMix="12.0" FeedbackMode="On" ReleaseRelax="On" RatioSpecial="Off" MidEQ="0.0" MidEQOn="Off" MidEQMode="Static" Limiter="0.0" LimOn="Off" SatOn="On" SatMode="Static" SatDrive="0.0" LoFi="Off" DryMix="0.0" Output="0.0" StereoLink="On" StereoLinkType="Normal" StereoLinkCrossover="1500" StereoMode="Stereo" Quality="Precise" Bypass="Off" SidechainMode="Int. SC" DeltaMode="Off" WidthThreshold="0.0" WidthMakeup="0.0" MeterRange="9 dB" MeterMode="Relative"/>
Dual and Slow
<TDRMolotGE InputGain="0.0" SideHP="120" SideHPOn="On" SideRotatorOn="Off" Attack="21" AttackMode="0.90" Release="598" Ratio="4.0" Threshold="-22.7" Knee="0.50" Makeup="6.0" DualStage="On" SecondaryAttack="2000" SecondaryRelease="2000" SecondaryAttackMix="0.0" FeedbackMode="Off" ReleaseRelax="Off" RatioSpecial="Off" MidEQ="0.0" MidEQOn="Off" MidEQMode="Static" Limiter="0.0" LimOn="Off" SatOn="On" SatMode="Dynamic" SatDrive="1.0" LoFi="Off" DryMix="0.0" Output="0.0" StereoLink="On" StereoLinkType="Normal" StereoLinkCrossover="1500" StereoMode="Stereo" Quality="Precise" Bypass="Off" SidechainMode="Int. SC" DeltaMode="Off" WidthThreshold="0.0" WidthMakeup="0.0" MeterRange="9 dB" MeterMode="Relative"/>
Crispy Peak Shaver
<TDRMolotGE InputGain="0.0" SideHP="130" SideHPOn="On" SideRotatorOn="Off" Attack="1.6" AttackMode="0.00" Release="110" Ratio="4.0" Threshold="-22.7" Knee="0.66" Makeup="5.0" DualStage="Off" SecondaryAttack="2000" SecondaryRelease="2000" SecondaryAttackMix="0.0" FeedbackMode="On" ReleaseRelax="Off" RatioSpecial="Off" MidEQ="0.0" MidEQOn="Off" MidEQMode="Static" Limiter="-6.5" LimOn="On" SatOn="On" SatMode="Dynamic" SatDrive="2.5" LoFi="Off" DryMix="0.0" Output="0.0" StereoLink="On" StereoLinkType="Normal" StereoLinkCrossover="1500" StereoMode="Stereo" Quality="Precise" Bypass="Off" SidechainMode="Int. SC" DeltaMode="Off" WidthThreshold="0.0" WidthMakeup="0.0" MeterRange="9 dB" MeterMode="Relative"/>
@Funkybot's Evil Twin, is the AttackMode in the GE the equivalent to CompressorMode in the #free Molotok - Version?

Deep and Slow Molotok #free
<TDRMolotok SideHP="120" SideHPOn="On" Attack="21" CompressorMode="0.9" Release="598" Ratio="4.0" Threshold="-22.7" Knee="0.50" Makeup="6.0" DryMix="0.0" Output="0.0" StereoMode="Stereo" Quality="Precise" Bypass="Off" SidechainMode="Int. SC" DeltaMode="Off" MeterRange="6 dB" MeterMode="Relative"/>
Hard Knee Four Molotok #free
<TDRMolotok SideHP="120" SideHPOn="On" Attack="15" CompressorMode="1.0" Release="200" Ratio="4.0" Threshold="-20.0" Knee="1.00" Makeup="3.5" DryMix="0.0" Output="0.0" StereoMode="Stereo" Quality="Precise" Bypass="Off" SidechainMode="Int. SC" DeltaMode="Off" MeterRange="6 dB" MeterMode="Relative"/>
Transparent and Deep Molotok #free
<TDRMolotok SideHP="120" SideHPOn="On" Attack="18" CompressorMode="0.4" Release="200" Ratio="4.0" Threshold="-20.0" Knee="0.50" Makeup="5.5" DryMix="0.0" Output="0.0" StereoMode="Stereo" Quality="Precise" Bypass="Off" SidechainMode="Int. SC" DeltaMode="Off" MeterRange="6 dB" MeterMode="Relative"/>
Dual and Slow Molotok #free
<TDRMolotok SideHP="120" SideHPOn="On" Attack="21" CompressorMode="0.9" Release="598" Ratio="4.0" Threshold="-22.7" Knee="0.50" Makeup="6.0" DryMix="0.0" Output="0.0" StereoMode="Stereo" Quality="Precise" Bypass="Off" SidechainMode="Int. SC" DeltaMode="Off" MeterRange="6 dB" MeterMode="Relative"/>
Crispy Peak Shaver Molotok #free
<TDRMolotok SideHP="130" SideHPOn="On" Attack="1.6" CompressorMode="0.0" Release="110" Ratio="4.0" Threshold="-22.7" Knee="0.66" Makeup="5.0" DryMix="0.0" Output="0.0" StereoMode="Stereo" Quality="Precise" Bypass="Off" SidechainMode="Int. SC" DeltaMode="Off" MeterRange="6 dB" MeterMode="Relative"/>
They should all work in the #free - version as expected now; still not sure about the CompressorMode, which might be useful to tweak around a bit.

Hope you dont mind @Funkybot's Evil Twin for doing this quick little port of your work; maybe they are useful for some. So thanks a lot for these! :phones: :tu:
Last edited by El°HYM on Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
The art of knowing is knowing what to ignore.

Let's talk about price. audiodeluxe has it for $36US after discount. TDR wants 40€/$48US or as a bundle upgrade 30€/$36. I asked TDR if "upgrading to the bundle" would lock all products to a bundle license in the event of a license transfer (then requiring the whole bundle to be transferred). They said no, all products remain separate licenses. So no difference in price between AD vs TDR bundle upgrade. I guess buying directly from TDR would result in them getting more of the money (they wouldnt have to pay AD a cut)? Seems like going direct with TDR is the way to go if you have the 30€ bundle upgrade price. Otherwise it's cheaper to go with AD ($36 vs 40€/$48).

i like the ugly green. i thought i wouldn't, but after a day it really grew on me, and now i don't want it any different. it's funny how things work.

El°HYM wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:25 pm Hope you dont mind @Funkybot's Evil Twin for doing this quick little port of your work; maybe they are useful for some. So thanks a lot for these! :phones: :tu:
The first 3 presets were created in the free version and ported over to the GE version so I can at least give you those. Thanks for doing the port! Here are my original presets for the first 3...

Deep and Slow (Molotok Free)
Hard Knee Four (Molotok Free)
<TDRMolotok SideHP="120" SideHPOn="On" Attack="15" CompressorMode="1.0" Release="200" Ratio="4.0" Threshold="-20.0" Knee="1.00" Makeup="3.5" DryMix="0.0" Output="0.0" StereoMode="Stereo" Quality="Precise" Bypass="Off" SidechainMode="Int. SC" DeltaMode="Off" MeterRange="6 dB" MeterMode="Relative"/>
Transparent and Deep (Molotok Free)
<TDRMolotok SideHP="120" SideHPOn="On" Attack="18" CompressorMode="0.4" Release="200" Ratio="4.0" Threshold="-20.0" Knee="0.50" Makeup="5.5" DryMix="0.0" Output="0.0" StereoMode="Stereo" Quality="Precise" Bypass="Off" SidechainMode="Int. SC" DeltaMode="Off" MeterRange="6 dB" MeterMode="Relative"/>

Igro wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:23 pm But how useful are double threshold and double attack/release? Could you give a short description?
This is needed to get opto-style program-dependent release. The "opto" preset uses this heavily, with a 3-second secondary release stage! Especially useful for vocals or bass guitar, where transients can be quite large and you want to control them a bit without pumping the tail.

similarly with imrae, i found the double attack let me compress an unevenly played piano more smoothly by having a quick small initial attack to contain any too-loud transients, and then a much much much slowwwer attack to stabilize the overall volume without as many dips or jerks

sleepcircle wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:31 pm similarly with imrae, i found the double attack let me compress an unevenly played piano more smoothly by having a quick small initial attack to contain any too-loud transients, and then a much much much slowwwer attack to stabilize the overall volume without as many dips or jerks
What do you mean with "double attack"?

Here's one that gives an LA-2A vibe on Electric Bass (probably other sources too). Target -4 to -5db of gain reduction on your levels going in.

Opto Bass (GE version)
<TDRMolotGE InputGain="0.0" SideHP="120" SideHPOn="On" SideRotatorOn="On" Attack="6.0" AttackMode="0.30" Release="100" Ratio="4.0" Threshold="-24.0" Knee="0.80" Makeup="4.0" DualStage="On" SecondaryAttack="50" SecondaryRelease="3500" SecondaryAttackMix="30.0" FeedbackMode="On" ReleaseRelax="On" RatioSpecial="Off" MidEQ="-1.5" MidEQOn="On" MidEQMode="Dynamic" Limiter="-6.0" LimOn="On" SatOn="On" SatMode="Static" SatDrive="1.5" LoFi="Off" DryMix="0.0" Output="0.0" StereoLink="On" StereoLinkType="Normal" StereoLinkCrossover="625" StereoMode="Stereo" Quality="Precise" Bypass="Off" SidechainMode="Int. SC" DeltaMode="Off" WidthThreshold="0.0" WidthMakeup="0.0" MeterRange="9 dB" MeterMode="Relative"/>

In the GE mode, if you Alt+Click the SC Button, you get a SC Hilbert mode. Shh...it's secret!

Not buying it until there's Dan Worrall video :)

But seriously, I'm really tempted to get that audiodeluxe.com deal. Funnily enough, on TDR's website the same bundle is EUR200 and in my account I've offer to upgrade to it for... EUR230 :D
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:21 pm
El°HYM wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:25 pm Hope you dont mind @Funkybot's Evil Twin for doing this quick little port of your work; maybe they are useful for some. So thanks a lot for these! :phones: :tu:
The first 3 presets were created in the free version and ported over to the GE version so I can at least give you those. Thanks for doing the port! Here are my original presets for the first 3...

Deep and Slow (Molotok Free)
Hard Knee Four (Molotok Free)
Transparent and Deep (Molotok Free)
Thanks!

So the Meter - Range seems set to 6 db Anyway in Molotok, as it seems; which is the only Difference I could spot. I would also suggest proper Gainstaging when using the #free - version of this one, like using an Utility - Device in front of it or similar. Got some good & pleasing Results with it so far, might Upgrade to the GE later this Year. Yet for now the #free - version is actually pretty useful, so far. :phones:
The art of knowing is knowing what to ignore.

The free version is indeed excellent and easier to work with due to the reduced feature set and cleaner GUI.

Linux versions, please.

Return to “Effects”