Shade: filtery thing from UVI. :)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Shade Sonic Shades for UVI Shade

nirm123 wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:38 am speaking of which...is key tracking modulation planned ?
oh, yes, please ;-)))
+1

first of:
thanks! for the undo-bug correcttion with v1.1.1

second a new small bug (maybe) - the eq solo function...

abstract:
solo function is behaving strangely
a) solo sounds different as when others are bypassed
b) if there is modulation on an eq, modulation is ignored when solo is activated

example:
feed with pink noise
create 3 peak EQ with maximum gain, slope, q-width
one at 100Hz, one at 500Hz one at 1k Hz

a) solo 500Hz
this sounds different (imho) than
bypassing 100 and 1k Hz

b)
apply a modulator to the middle 500Hz eq
for example a MSEG with the Baasic>Friendly modulation
apply the mseg modulation to Frequency of the middle 500Hz eq
solo the middle 500Hz eq
the solo'd eq becomes static aka unmodulated

is this supposed to be expected?

system:
mac os mojave, Logic 10.5.1, AU version of Shade v1.1.1

a) solo 500Hz
this sounds different (imho) than
bypassing 100 and 1k Hz
Yes, this is because the "Solo" si not really a solo but more a monitoring tool to listen to the frequencies you're working on. But people are used to say "Solo" so we kept this name for the feature.
So if you get a peak soloed, what it will do is that it will filter the input signal by a bandpass with the same frequency and Q than the peak.
b) if there is modulation on an eq, modulation is ignored when solo is activated
We do not implemented the modulation over the solo feature yet, but we could do it in the future.
speaking of which...is key tracking modulation planned ? currently it's what I'd like to see the most being added to shade.
Well, it's a feature which has been largely requested, so we should do it. But I don't know when. :) Personnally I would prefer to work on what's missing as a conventionnal EQ first, like linear phase/match EQ.
the fact that the plugins is being improved almost on a daily basis, actively listening to the community (there was a case when I spotted a bug and it was fixed the same day) - made me purchased it.
Thanks for the support !
Louis Couka
http://louiscouka.net/ (under construction)

Louis Couka wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:16 pm Yes, this is because the "Solo" si not really a solo but more a monitoring tool to listen to the
ok

thank you very much

Buggy metering in Reaper latest version.

acousticglue wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:13 pm Buggy metering in Reaper latest version.
It’s all good here, on Reaper 6 on Catalina.

acousticglue wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:13 pm Buggy metering in Reaper latest version.
Do not hesitate to explain a bit more your problem, and precise your whole config, such we can investigate the issue. You may also contact the support.
Louis Couka
http://louiscouka.net/ (under construction)

Many presets w LFO or XY settings meters freeze up, not all presets. Xeon 3.0 quad core 16gb ran, ssd drives

another two ideas which I think can bring value:

1) being able to understand from the source modulation what are the destination modulated parameters. since there isn't a modulation matrix, for example when I review complex presets, I need to go to each eq param and search for the source modulation and that takes time.

2) have right/left arrows in order to switch filters by tab. I also find it a bit time consuming when I need to open the filters menu (lots of filters there...) search for the right group, and then the right filter. usually I need to change filters within the same group (i.e - phasers) and it would have been much faster to be able to scroll left/right.

Thanks !

Louis Couka wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:04 pm
gain staging per filter
We'll probably add an output gain stage for the Xpander first, where the drive can clearly make too much gain variations.
Why not make drive gain-compensated? Saves time and a knob.

a few questions, suggestions...

1) some modulators are synced to the host BPM by default (such as MSEG) while LFO and Figure aren't, why is that ?

I'd assume LFO default configuration should be synced to host BPM as well as it's usually being used like this (and the user can switch it off if needed).

2) I think that is an error in the tooltip regarding triggering sensitivity: lower values make it less selective and not the other way around...

3) Switching between MSEG presets resume the default configuration of triggering, loop, sync. I think that it shouldn't. if I'd like the MSEG to be triggered by Audio, this decision usually won't be changed by switching between different shapes, I'd suggest to keep the user configuration persistent while switching MSEG presets (and also here, the user can change whatever param needs to be changed manually).

4) key tracking was already mentioned, but note velocity will be welcome as well.

5) when switching between unipolar and bipolar modes wouldn't it better to keep the range ? currently such a selection doubles the range (for example a range between 0 to 10 will become -10 to 10, while I'd expect it to become -5 to +5)

Thanks.

Hi nirm123,
1) some modulators are synced to the host BPM by default (such as MSEG) while LFO and Figure aren't, why is that ?

I'd assume LFO default configuration should be synced to host BPM as well as it's usually being used like this (and the user can switch it off if needed).
Yes, +1, something like 1/8 or 1/16 per default could be convenient. I would go for 1/8.
2) I think that is an error in the tooltip regarding triggering sensitivity: lower values make it less selective and not the other way around...
Sensitivity is the threshold that serve as a reference to detect rising edges of the loudness of the incoming audio, but if the sensitivity value is too low it will not work properly and will even detect less events. We should redefine the sensitivy knob range to not allow to low sensitivity values.
3) Switching between MSEG presets resume the default configuration of triggering, loop, sync. I think that it shouldn't. if I'd like the MSEG to be triggered by Audio, this decision usually won't be changed by switching between different shapes, I'd suggest to keep the user configuration persistent while switching MSEG presets (and also here, the user can change whatever param needs to be changed manually).
Interesting pov, we'll think about it. :)
4) key tracking was already mentioned, but note velocity will be welcome as well.
Absolutly.
5) when switching between unipolar and bipolar modes wouldn't it better to keep the range ? currently such a selection doubles the range (for example a range between 0 to 10 will become -10 to 10, while I'd expect it to become -5 to +5)
It something we debated with the team, [-0.5, 0.5] vs [-1, 1] range for bipolar modulators, and we end up with the [-1, 1] thing. But there are probably advantages in both solutions.
1) being able to understand from the source modulation what are the destination modulated parameters. since there isn't a modulation matrix, for example when I review complex presets, I need to go to each eq param and search for the source modulation and that takes time.
Certainly, it makes sense. We have to see how it could be integrated properly.
2) have right/left arrows in order to switch filters by tab. I also find it a bit time consuming when I need to open the filters menu (lots of filters there...) search for the right group, and then the right filter. usually I need to change filters within the same group (i.e - phasers) and it would have been much faster to be able to scroll left/right.
Yes, you can use the modwheel if you have a notched one. But we could add explicit buttons as well.

thanks a lot for this answer, really appreciated !

Another +1 for key tracking.

Is Shade capable of parallel processing? I was hoping to do some parallel bandpass filtering with this, but it appears all of the filter/EQ bands are in serial.

Return to “Effects”