Recreating Ableton's Analog Unison

How to make that sound...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm having a super hard time recreating Ableton's Analog Unison in another Synth tried Serum and Bitwig Stock synths so far.

Setting is super simple, just a single Saw, no filter. Unison set to 33 and 2 Voices. Does anyone know what 100 Unison does in Analog? it's obviously mono and it sounds like a perfect octave, but as soon as I try this in Serum it sounds very different. Somehow in all other synths Unison sound way more phasey, Analog set to 100% has a nice buzzy tone.

Thanks

Assuming Ultra Analog 2 uses the same unison tech, which I guess it does except the scaling might be different, does what you think; the unison stretches out to an octave. I'm not sure you can 'force' any synth to go beyond the developers maximum unison setting you just need to find synths which have been designed like this.

The only other synth I know of which 'unisons' further than a tone is MassiveX. You can 'unison' out to various chords and morph between traditional unison and the chord version. There might be others, but that's my contribution :)

post an example how it sounds.

I don't have analog but I'll have a look this afternoon
CHOOSX Remakes on my Youtube Channel

Hey, as @CInningBao pointed out, AAS helped make analog in ableton so it uses a lot of stuff from their own ultra analog synth plugin series, so maybe thats a good place to start. thanks

There's obvious beating in the Analog unison, so I think it's just a doubled oscillator with a pitch detune. To do the same in Serum, you'll need to use both oscillators and adjust the fine and maybe the coarse tuning on Osc 2. To match the beat frequency of Analog with unison detune of 33, the fine pitch on Osc 2 in Serum feels like it needs to be around 12-15.

Alternatively, if you need to stack oscillators in unison, you can go into Serum's global settings and reduce the unison width to zero, you can get a similar sound but it's cleaner with the two oscillators detuned with no unison. There are other unison settings that are worth experimenting.

Gamma-UT wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:51 am There's obvious beating in the Analog unison, so I think it's just a doubled oscillator with a pitch detune. To do the same in Serum, you'll need to use both oscillators and adjust the fine and maybe the coarse tuning on Osc 2. To match the beat frequency of Analog with unison detune of 33, the fine pitch on Osc 2 in Serum feels like it needs to be around 12-15.

Alternatively, if you need to stack oscillators in unison, you can go into Serum's global settings and reduce the unison width to zero, you can get a similar sound but it's cleaner with the two oscillators detuned with no unison. There are other unison settings that are worth experimenting.
Thanks Gamma
Your advice was spot on, if you set the second OSC to the same Waveform and detune slightly it produces a very similiar Unison that sounds just as clean as Analogs.

Return to “Sound Design”