One Synth Challenge #140: Pendulate (exponent1 wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Pendulate

exponent1 wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:15 pm
Spring Goose wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:15 pm I've never seen this tip, so i'm giving it now:

The song i uploaded was called "master.wav" and i changed the title in the Soundcloud title box. I think if somebody were to download my song then the resulting file will be called "master.wav". So i've changed my song to the correct titled file.
Am i right, about this Soundcloud anomaly?
it's always best (also convenient for listeners and organizers) to name your file as well your SC track name as <KVR username> - <Track Name>, at least till the voting period.
Best for everybody i think! :)

Wes Kilbride wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:41 pm
ELEX wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:33 pm First troll I've noticed here. And I'm certainly no drum-hater myself. Got plenty going in my own track, without any external trickery too, so AFAIC, they're very much part of Generate's 'Unique Sounds and Capabilities'. :lol: I absolutely love that phrase.
"Troll"? Name-calling is a cheap shot. I've been making a passionate argument in this thread. Pendulate is an odd synth that features moving, changeable sounds that sometimes take time to unravel. That's the beauty of it. I don't know what to make of it myself. But it upsets me to see people take it and try to make it sound like just any other soft synth, making sure they've figured out a way to make drum sounds with it, so that their tracks will sound like any other track made by any other synth. It's closed-mindedness. Sincere arguments don't just come with a smiley face.
You come here and start telling people how they should not use a synth. Seems to me you're not making an argument, but looking for one. That's probably why Spring Goose called you a troll, and certainly why I echoed it. Please let people make up their own minds as to how they want to use the capabilities of any given synth. Also, any sound made by a synth without external effects, percussive or otherwise, is obviously the synth sounding as itself and therefore must be acceptable. To me, part of the fun of these challenges lies in hearing the results of different approaches to the synths, which may range from drum-less Ambient to banging Hardstyle, with all sort of intriguing non-genre entries sticking out to the side. There's nothing inherently wrong with any of those.

Btw, in case you weren't aware of it: Dan Gillespie, whom you quoted to start off,
DGillespie wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:11 pm I’m really amazed at the percussive sounds you all are getting out of Pendulate.🙌
is the developer of Pendulate and it's big brother.

ELEX wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:49 pm
Wes Kilbride wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:41 pm
ELEX wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:33 pm First troll I've noticed here. And I'm certainly no drum-hater myself. Got plenty going in my own track, without any external trickery too, so AFAIC, they're very much part of Generate's 'Unique Sounds and Capabilities'. :lol: I absolutely love that phrase.
"Troll"? Name-calling is a cheap shot. I've been making a passionate argument in this thread. Pendulate is an odd synth that features moving, changeable sounds that sometimes take time to unravel. That's the beauty of it. I don't know what to make of it myself. But it upsets me to see people take it and try to make it sound like just any other soft synth, making sure they've figured out a way to make drum sounds with it, so that their tracks will sound like any other track made by any other synth. It's closed-mindedness. Sincere arguments don't just come with a smiley face.
You come here and start telling people how they should not use a synth. Seems to me you're not making an argument, but looking for one. That's probably why Spring Goose called you a troll, and certainly why I echoed it. Please let people make up their own minds as to how they want to use the capabilities of any given synth. Also, any sound made by a synth without external effects, percussive or otherwise, is obviously the synth sounding as itself and therefore must be acceptable. To me, part of the fun of these challenges lies in hearing the results of different approaches to the synths, which may range from drum-less Ambient to banging Hardstyle, with all sort of intriguing non-genre entries sticking out to the side. There's nothing inherently wrong with any of those.

Btw, in case you weren't aware of it: Dan Gillespie, whom you quoted to start off,
DGillespie wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:11 pm I’m really amazed at the percussive sounds you all are getting out of Pendulate.🙌
is the developer of Pendulate and it's big brother.
Well, we're all entitled to our opinions. And making a focused, argumentative one is not the same as trolling.

This competition has strict RULES. I don't understand what Wes is saying, if we're not breaking the rules of the competition.

I'm not an expert on trolls. I thought you were a troll. Look i said i'm sorry!

Spring Goose wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:01 pm
doctorbob wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:13 pmYou can always delete the whole thing and start again if you need to get the name of the actual file uploaded as the named download. :ud:

dB
You can just replace the file, in the "edit" pop-up. :)
But if you originally uploaded file xyz.wav and then replaced it with abc.wav, when you download the file it will be called xyz.wav, however many times you replace it with whatever new/different named file, e.g. "youwillneverseethisfilename.wav"

dB

doctorbob wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:23 pm
doctorbob wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:13 pmYou can always delete the whole thing and start again if you need to get the name of the actual file uploaded as the named download. :ud:

dB
But if you originally uploaded file xyz.wav and then replaced it with abc.wav, when you download the file it will be called xyz.wav, however many times you replace it with whatever new/different named file, e.g. "youwillneverseethisfilename.wav"

dB
Does it really? Well i didn't know that. I understand now Doctorbob, thanks.

Spring Goose wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:06 pm I'm not an expert on trolls. I thought you were a troll. Look i said i'm sorry!
Sorry I mentioned you in my reply. Didn't mean to cause you any stress.

ELEX wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:31 pm
Spring Goose wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:06 pm I'm not an expert on trolls. I thought you were a troll. Look i said i'm sorry!
Sorry I mentioned you in my reply. Didn't mean to cause you any stress.
oh no you haven't :)

Spring Goose wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:29 pm
doctorbob wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:23 pm

dB

dB
Does it really? Well i didn't know that. I understand now Doctorbob, thanks.
I replaced it with abc.wav, then try download it and its titled abc.wav

Wes Kilbride wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:38 pm Pendulate is an odd synth that features moving, changeable sounds that sometimes take time to unravel. That's the beauty of it. I don't know what to make of it myself. But it upsets me to see people take it and try to make it sound like just any other soft synth, making sure they've figured out a way to make drum sounds with it, so that their tracks will sound like any other track made by any other synth. It's closed-mindedness. Sincere arguments don't just come with a smiley face.
Yeah, I kinda see your point, but this challenge started in March 2009 and from the beginning the participants have made drums of all kinds of synthesizers. Within the winning tracks almost all of them have drums. That's a fact. So if that bothers you, I'm afraid there is nothing to do. This may not be the place that will makes you happy. Or maybe yes, if you could see the topic of drums with different eyes, you know? :wink:

Wes Kilbride wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:04 pmWell, we're all entitled to our opinions.
Yep, and since you now have more than the requisite number of 40 KVR forum posts (as of this post, you have 44 KVR forum posts), you can now exercise your entitlement to vote in the monthly One Synth Challenge competitions. Please let us know how you feel about this month's submissions via your votes. Feel free to leave constructive comments on each track as well! :phones:
[Core i7 8700 | 32GB DDR4 | Win11 x64 | Studio One 6 Pro | FL Studio ASIO/WASAPI ]

Anyway, I don't know what this argument about drums is all about. No drums in any of these tracks that I can hear, just Pendulate.

There are two serious points that I don't think have been made yet as to why it's a worthwhile exercise to try to make percussion sounds with any synth:

1. Serendipity - you might find another great sound on the way, or you might find an interesting and unusual drum sound.

2. Drum sculpture - there are advantages to knowing how to design your own drum sounds so that they sit nicely in the mix, rather than trying to carve something out of a sample.

And I suspect that lots of people doing this challenge are doing it because they want to learn or practice sound design, or learn a new synth, and having a project with a deadline is a good way of doing that. Instead of just noodling around without any clear goal, trying to make a specific type of sound forces you to examine properly what the different controls do and what their limitations are.

Plus, drums are the best instrument. No question.

tonedef71 wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:57 am Yep, and since you now have more than the requisite number of 40 KVR forum posts (as of this post, you have 44 KVR forum posts), you can now exercise your entitlement to vote in the monthly One Synth Challenge competitions. Please let us know how you feel about this month's submissions via your votes. Feel free to leave constructive comments on each track as well! :phones:
I believe you technically are supposed to have 40 posts at the start of the competition, to vote without an entry.
Celebrating 50 years of pants with frogs in them

Spring Goose wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:19 pm You seemed unreasonable. You made assertions then you unreasonably dismissed other people's perspectives, that's how i figured you're a "troll" doing "trolling" deliberately winding people up. I apologise to you if you're not.
I'm not. Apology accepted. Thank you.

Return to “Instruments”