Universal Audio announces DAW LUNA

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

dellboy wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:00 pm
v1o wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:48 am
What’s the story behind Muzys?
It was 18 years ago so my memory may well be faulty and perhaps someone else could put the story right for me.

In 2002 Muon-Software developed a new DAW called " Muzys" which was $125.

https://www.kvraudio.com/product/muzys_by_muzys

A free version was also made and came with Computer music magazine. We all got exited about it and started using it until one day the website disappeared. A few years later Jo Langie announced a new comapany called "Mutools" and a new DAW called "LUNA" which later changed its name to Mulab.

The original "Muzys" which was developed also by Jo Langie had similarities to todays "Mulab".

A search around the interwebs pulled up a Computer Music mag that featured Muzys on the front cover. And a further search (internet archive) found Computer Music CM55 of January 2003 with a downloadable ISO with Computer Muzys with it. I downloaded and mounted the ISO and installed Muzys on Windows 10 and it worked ok .

I have not linked to the ISO as I am not sure of the legality of that site but a search for "Computer Muzys" should find it.

My apologies if any of my facts are incorrect.
The original Muzys was competitive with Cubase in terms of Midi functionality. It had its origins as popular the IMS midi sequencer for the Atari.
http://tamw.exxoshost.co.uk/ims.htm

There was a magware version called Computer Muzys which vastly expanded the userbase but then shortly after that apparently the original creator lost rights to the software. Muzys and Computer Muzys were then discontinued. So he formed a new company Mutools.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

dellboy wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:00 pmIn 2002 Muon-Software developed a new DAW called " Muzys" which was $125. [...] A few years later Jo Langie announced a new comapany called "Mutools" and a new DAW called "LUNA" which later changed its name to Mulab.
Wow, I had no idea Mulab has such a long history. I really need to look into it, although I'm always chased away by the "childish" GUI, which - unfortunately - is important for me.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

MAC only? :lol:
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

I’ve been using LUNA for tracking and it’s fantastic. No more switching back and forth with the Console app. I won’t be using it as a full DAW any time soon but for recording it’s just great, bugs and all.

Love:
- Beautiful UI
- Tight integration with Apollo
- ARM’s auto management of latency and DSP
- Unlimited undo / every action is autosaved
- Snapshot versions

Meh:
- Quite a lot of missing features
- Requires Apollo connected
- Still some number of bugs with third party plug-ins

I like the look of it, however, in practice I had a very hard time dealing with some of the low-contrast color combos. It's great for UA folks, but with CPU power increasing dramatically the last few years, I have to wonder about the future of hardware acceleration as a whole.

jonljacobi wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:12 pmI have to wonder about the future of hardware acceleration as a whole.
I consider planting one of these funny UAD cards into a modern computer to be rather deceleration. I don't know if the audio interfaces pack more DSP punch, but I'm sure it is nothing compared to Apple Silicon. :hyper:

Luna however I do find interesting and I am conviced people would happily pay for this, if an UA interface wasn't a requirement for it.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”