Tips for building new DAW computer?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi all,

:help:

It was ages ago I built my current DAW PC and now that Windows 95 is no longer supported :wink:, I want to replace the old computer as well. I thought it'd be smart to look for components at the end of Nov, for obvious reasons, and this gives me a month to plan the build and start checking prices.

Since it's been so long, I can't really remember all the important characteristics and details of a DAW PC. (I built an office/gaming PC recently and choosing components for that was comparably simple.) I do remember that I had listed a lot of must- and should-haves before building my old DAW PC way back when. Off the top of my head:

* Necessities:
Very fast CPU
Fast RAM, huge size
GPU with support for at least 2 monitors

* To reduce noise:
Liquid CPU cooler
Fanless motherboard
Fanless GPU
Large case fans (in a roomy case that can take many of them)

* For efficiency and convenience:
Separate SSDs for OS and DAW host
SSDs for programs and "quiet" HDDs (5400 rpm) for sample libs
Lots of USB ports

I would really and truly appreciate if you could help me point out what important things I've missed and comment on the items above (advice, disagreement, specifics, what have you!). Thanks! :hug:

Motherboard DPC latencies from anandtech.com
Choose one that has less extras (no wifi, no extra sata chips etc.) to disable.
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

Pictus wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:49 pm Check my post at viewtopic.php?p=7911052#p7911052
Excellent! Thanks!

I think that since I've waited this long to get a new DAW PC anyway, I should wait for the next gen AMD Ryzen (as that wait is almost over I understand). Is it possible to already decide on a suitable MOBO or should one wait until after the CPUs have been released?

pekadan wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:19 am Excellent! Thanks!
You are welcome!

pekadan wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:47 am I think that since I've waited this long to get a new DAW PC anyway, I should wait for the next gen AMD Ryzen (as that wait is almost over I understand). Is it possible to already decide on a suitable MOBO or should one wait until after the CPUs have been released?
Yes, better wait for the new CPUs.
https://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-9-5950x- ... 9-10980xe/

The x570/B550 motherboards are compatible with Ryzen 5000, just need to
update the BIOS. The model in my post can update the BIOS without installing
the CPU, memory and graphics card.

unless the company f**ks up the bios data or their servers and your mainboard gets bricked...

anttimaatteri wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:13 pm unless the company f**ks up the bios data or their servers and your mainboard gets bricked...
The Gigabyte B550 AORUS MASTER has DUAL BIOS :tu:
https://youtu.be/kUS2ay2_4QQ

I've always used ASUS MOBOs and never had any issues with them. Do Gigabyte boards have advantages compared to the ASUS similarly speced boards would you say? Dual BIOS for extra upgrading safety is one maybe?

The differences are from model to model even in the same brand...
But we can say that ASUS have better more friendly BIOS and Gigabyte better VRM.
As long you get the proper model, both are very good.
Today for AMD my preferences are ASUS/Gigabyte/MSI.

Thanks Pictus!

Sorry for asking all these question, but is there a particular ASUS MOBO you would also recommend? I've been looking at boards in the $150-200 range with passive cooling and no on-board wifi:

- Asus Prime B550-Plus
- Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming
- Asus TUF Gaming B550-Plus

Know anything about any of them?

There are a few x570 boards as well, like Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus, but they are a lot more expensive and don't have passive cooling. Still, would x570 be a better socket option than B550 for some reason?

As far as Gigabyte goes, should any board in the Aorus series be good for a DAW PC? The Master is pretty expensive, but Elite, Pro and Pro AC are in the price range of the above ASUS boards.

:)

The B550 chipset is less powerful than the X570, but more polished and the
B550 motherboards do not have the pesky chipset fan.
The Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming and Gigabyte B550 PRO are +- equivalent.
You like Asus, get the Strix-F, it will work well with a 12/16 core CPU.

Pictus wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:15 pm ...
Cool! Thanks! I think I will let price decide between the two. Do you know if the Noctua NH-D15 fits on these boards, or maybe the NH-D15S?

pekadan wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:37 pm
Pictus wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:15 pm ...
Cool! Thanks! I think I will let price decide between the two. Do you know if the Noctua NH-D15 fits on these boards, or maybe the NH-D15S?
I am glad to help, it fits both even the Vision D.
https://www.computerbase.de/forum/threa ... t-24544635
To avoid confusion, I am talking about the Gigabyte B550 PRO V1, not V2.
The V2 have a different VRM and I do not know how good it is.
IF you are not sure it is the V1, better get the Strix-F as a guarantee.

Super, thanks! BTW, I read a rumor that 4000MHz RAM will be the sweet spot for best performance with the new Ryzens. 2x32 Gb of PC32000/4000MHz is damn expensive though! The prices will come down after a while obviously but I don't think I have the patience, but will go for PC28800/3600MHz instead. Bad idea?

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”