MIDI Clock Divider VST?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone know of a MIDI clock divider VST? I use Pamela's New Workout in my Eurorack system, which allows me to subdivide the tempo in a number of ways and send the different subdivisions to various outputs. Is there a similar device that I could use in my DAW to send different tempi to different MIDI channels, all driven from the DAW master clock? I would like to run several sequencers/MIDI tracks at different tempi at once but (naturally) they would need to be synced.

Thanks in advance for your help!

that would be very useful for me as well

Not sure I follow, and maybe it's a good thing as I could possibly learn something new.

Aren't VST sequencers (or any tempo based plugin) already driven by the "DAW master clock"?
On any of those plugins on any channel, there should be a "sync to DAW" button, then you can subdivide/multiply any way you need.

I've always thought that was the reason why clock dividers are everywhere on actual modular systems, but basically non-existent in a DAW environment.
Last edited by Niowiad on Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The sequencers I am using have a limited amount of subdivisions available - I would like more flexibility. For example, if I want my drum track to be at 120 bpm but my sequencer at 30 bpm, I can't currently do this easily (if at all). Ideally, there would be a VST that I could put in front of both the drum instrument and the sequencer that would let me multiply or divide the host bpm in whatever way I want for that track.

What DAW are you using?
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

At the moment, I am using Cantabile Lite. I know that there are some M4L devices that do this, but I cannot run Ableton on this particular machine.

Loomer Architect springs to mind.
In ableton live you can 'script' this sort of behaviour in the clip view by entering 'code' into the master channel clips. Or fudge it with clip actions
Amazon: why not use an alternative

The most obvious just occurred to me, use one of the modular VSTs such as Voltage Modular.
It can host VST plugins or output midi and use its bundled / 3rd party clock modules.

Thanks for the idea! My problem, however, is that I am using a 32 bit system, and I believe VM is 64 bit only.

Mutools MUX then maybe

Can MUX do this?

It should be doable in mux. I have not used it in a while but this is the sort of thing that it was made for. Also nodule from plogue can do crazy midi wizardry and an older version of reaktor can do great midi tricks as well. I don't know which version was first 64 bit only but I have plenty of 32 versions on my machine still. I'm sure a second hand copy of an older version would be cheap as can be.

Unfortunately cantabile is an unknown quantity for me so I don't know what it's routing and midi capabilities are.

Good luck
JJ

After reading the cantibile website, I would guess you could use the onboard midi tools to script or slap something together. It should be a mater of manipulation of the clock signals being sent to a given track. Their site says it allows for "low level manipulation of MIDI signals". That's worth a look.

The problem in any Host though is that if youre using a sequencer plugin its going to be listening to the Host, so youre going to have to sub host it in another plugin.

Or use a sequencer plugin that allows for divisions like the HY sequencers.

Check out a few of the Nassen sequencers, amazingly flexible, deep and fun

Mozyz might be just the thing actually, it is basically a host that hosts only its own plugins. All the sub modules are actually VST plugins that you could then use in another VST host.

https://www.raxntrax.com/mozys
https://youtu.be/HxPN6sUmpQE

RaxnTrax is one of the closest on Windows youll get to the Modular experience for sequencing
https://www.raxntrax.com/rnt2

Ah_Dziz wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:33 pm It should be doable in mux. I have not used it in a while but this is the sort of thing that it was made for. Also nodule from plogue can do crazy midi wizardry and an older version of reaktor can do great midi tricks as well. I don't know which version was first 64 bit only but I have plenty of 32 versions on my machine still. I'm sure a second hand copy of an older version would be cheap as can be.

Unfortunately cantabile is an unknown quantity for me so I don't know what it's routing and midi capabilities are.

Good luck
JJ
bidule not nodule ;)
and yup, plenty of onboard midi tools, worth a demo if you already understand the modular workflow, which bharris does :tu:

seriously, i tried it recently and have fallen in love again :)

Return to “Effects”