Looking for batch MP3 loudness / compression processing.

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi all..
I have been looking for a solution for a friend and thought I'd see if anybody had any ideas.

Problem:
Trying to batch level match 3000 mp3 files that all have mp3 data / tags.
Need to be able to get them all in a usable dynamic range as the App he is using for broadcasting has no signal processing.. strictly an encoder / stream radio station App.

Have tried lots of standalone 2 track editors / DAWs etc but nothing retains the mp3 tags and in many cases abbreviates the file names when saving anyway.

Even if its not a batch processor but something with a good workflow solution.
Would prefer a Mac option but if I have to use PC for the right solution then I will do that.
I have not investigated too much PC stuff so there may be a hidden gem out there.

Any help would be appreciated.

Audacity had quite a recent update and now has loudness volume normalization, and the batch processing is much improved (it's now on the 'Macros' menu). Also outputs to a seperate folder with the same file names, and keeps the tags.

The caveat here though is that it still needs to decode then re-encode the file and thus there'd be a loss in quality. I use it to even out the volumes of podcasts I've downloaded so it's no big deal for speech, but for music it might be.

https://www.rogueamoeba.com/fission/

Mac, edits mp3s losslessly (apparently). Not sure if its batch processing is up to scratch, you can demo it.
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

There's a program called "mp3gain" that does just that.
It does not re-encode, but sets a playback gain on each file.
After analysing the loudness of your whole collection.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Thanks guys.
Audacity is the winner. Some weird bugs in it though.
It runs flawlessly doing a batch loudness / normalise > Export as mp3.. but only on the PC.. the Mac version smashes up the mp3 files on the output. Must be some weird thing happening with their Lame encoder on Mac.
Even if you just open an mp3 then save as mp3 with nor processing it seems to apply some gain or something which renders the file useless. Happy to use the PC to save all the time doing it manually.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”