Why did you leave Studio One?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

BONES wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:57 am
nIGhT-SoN wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:30 amWhat if your car had a lock that would open the door only to your face? Let's assume sometimes it doesn't recognizes your face because it's dark, because you're wearing a mask, because it's foggy outside etc. Would that be fun? Especially when you are in a hurry. I think that explains iLok and other similar protections.
No, it doesn't, because iLok works whether it is dark or bright, rainy or windy, hot or cold. It's more like a fingerprint reader - if you use it properly, it always works.
Believe me, I have iLok plugins and I hate that protection from my guts. It so happens to get a windows update that changes your computer id/name and guess what, you have to contact every vendor to release the plugins activation from "previous" computer.
I've probably updated Windows hundreds of times over the years and it has never once changed the name/ID of any computer of mine. You may as well ask what I'd do if aliens beamed down and took my laptop because I think that is about as likely.
apoclypse wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:20 pmThe top performing audio interfaces are almost all TB devices. That's facts.
Yes but, for the third time now, they are IRRELEVANT FACTS. The sky is blue is also a fact and is equally relevant to this discussion. I've asked repeatedly why you latency matters, I've demonstrated why it isn't and you still refuse to even try to understand.
Your argument is that synths have latency so it shouldn't matter? Okay so If your synth has 20ms of latency, your interface as 10ms of latency, that's 30ms of latency you've added to the signal chain and at 30ms that's more than audible to the human ear.
Why would I run a hardware synth through my interface? It goes the other way around - on stage I use either my Ultranova or Analog Keys as the audio interface, so getting close to the same latency means they will be more closely in time.
Then you take into account that synths are not the only thing one tracks into a DAW.
I don't record my vocals directly into a project, I usually record them into a separate scratch project in Audition. Either way, though, latency doesn't matter, beyond maybe having to clip the first 10ms or so from the audio track when it's recorded. But compared to all the other editing I have to do to get the performance right, it wouldn't be worth spending even $1 to save me having to do that.
Ofcourse better numbers sell more products. I don't see your point. It's like Intel or AMD selling you a PC with a faster CPU or higher ram speed. Does that negate that fact that it's in fact faster?
Because if my current machine is fast enough, why would I waste money on a newer, faster one? Again, it's thinking from 20 years ago, when having the latest and fastest really did matter. That is not really the case today, so you modify your behaviour accordingly. In practical terms, if I rarely see the CPU meter on my current laptop go over 50%, why would I even think about buying a more powerful machine? It's the same with latency - if we can get up on stage and perform with 18ms round-trip latency, from any of half-a-dozen different interfaces, why would I/we even think about spending money or making other restrictive choices just to lower the latency further? And if we can do it, there is no reason anyone else can't, too, because there is nothing at all special about what we do or how we do it.
Well my 25+ experience says that in general there are less issues to deal with on Macs.
If that's true, I can only assume you never really use them for anything too taxing. And to be clear, audio/music taxes my system far less than my graphics work. To back up my point, when we move offices at the end of the year and get rid of all our Macs, they are making three IT/engineering positions redundant, which is a reasonable indication of how much more work it takes to keep them running than the PCs we'll all be using from next year.
Mature and reasoned adults don't call other people stupid without knowing their level of experience or background.
Experience and background is irrelevant - if you say something stupid I will call you on it. Just ask any of my colleagues or bosses at work.
You have no clue what my experience are what how taxing our use of Macs are.

I work at a development house that does online archiving of art images and media. More than half of our machines are Macs (mostly developers), we use some as ingest machines for super high resolution images of art pieces. I work primarily as a Mac administrator using tools like JAMF. We administer over 300 Macs total. Our metrics in our ticketing system shows that we have less tickets/issues overall on Macs than we do PC. So maybe your admins just suck and have no idea what they are doing. I don't know, I'm not in your environment but you are not in mine either. My 25+ experience using Macs/PC and transitioning to administrator shows me that in general Macs have less issues. Less issues with battery failing, less issues with drivers, less issues with software and hardware (yes including Adobe CC which is used heavily by our media group).

The only thing we have to do every year that's a pain is macOS upgrades and that's because users demand it. Either way we've started doing the same on Windows 10 machines as well rolling out upgrades yearly. We've recently rolled out Catalina to all of our Macs remotely due to COVID with very few issues reported to us by staff (20 tickets total and most were user error).

I've also worked at a large commercial (as in ads) firm that had its own media facilities for audio and video. They were almost all Macs and again ticketing metrics there showed far less issues on Macs than PCs in general. So much so that we only had two Mac admins deploying and administering our fleet of Macs versus the 10 or so for PC. Even now where I work, myself and one other person administer 300 Macs on our own.

Maybe you are used to dealing with clueless Mac users but I'm not that. I have far more experience with Mac/PCs than most people. I'm an Apple certified technician, can take apart and put back to together that vast majority of their devices (including iPhones, iMacs, etc) as well as administering them.

I also build PCs. I currently have an X99 machine I built back in 2016. Fully specced for game development. I'm currently waiting on the new AMD Ryzen Chips to drop to build another machine.

So when I say I prefer Macs and TB, it's not from a place ignorance or Apple marketing. It's just that a preference. I don't care what other people use as it doesn't affect me.

The original topic of this thread before you derailed it with you biased bullshit was why I would leave S1. It's buggy on my platform of choice. No amount of "straight talking" on your end will change my mind about using Macs for audio. I prefer them for that purpose. I'm not going to argue with you about latency or whatever since you don't find it important, but I do. At the end it doesn't matter what your preference is anyway because that doesn't change the fact that my audio interface works best on a Mac anyway and I'm not buying a new one just to work on a PC. So all this bluster on your end amounts to jack shit.
Studio One // Bitwig // Logic Pro X // Ableton 11 // Reason 11 // FLStudio // MPC // Force // Maschine

going back a bit in the thread, but another thing about the speed of sound - there is a difference between latency in hearing other musicians you're playing with and latency in monitoring your own performance.

a bit of the former is unavoidable, and (within reason) isn't the worst thing in the world (hell it might actually contribute to a groove by getting everyone to stop playing in front of the damn beat), but the latter absolutely will screw up how you play. rhythm is more than some sort of internal metronome, it's about reacting to cues in the music and your own performance and (unconsciously) making micro-adjustments that can only happen if you're hearing your timing accurately. I'm comfortable with around 10ms round trip in a DAW, but it's completely ridiculous to fault anyone for wanting as little as possible.

antic604 wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:23 am
Trancit wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:28 amPlease don´t tell me that otherwise you don´t get the software running properly... I read different forums and if someone has trouble it´s 95% a mac user...
...and it's not because OSX is more buggy. ...
Not buggy but from what I´ve read apple loves to break compatibility quite often when doing new versions... that´s something what me personally would annoy me for that price...

---
Last edited by Chapelle on Sat Oct 07, 2023 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Michael L wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:36 pm
chk071 wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:07 pm I wonder if the people who claim Mac's are so much easier and better live on the same planet as I.
No. We live on an easier and better planet. 8)
With higher tax rates :hihi:
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Chapelle wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:32 pm I left Studio One because it doesn't have a Linux version.
:o grenaaaaaade!!!!

Chapelle wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:32 pm I left Studio One because it doesn't have a Linux version.
It should be the other way around!
MuLab-Reaper of course :D

Trancit wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:27 pm
Trancit wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:28 amPlease don´t tell me that otherwise you don´t get the software running properly... I read different forums and if someone has trouble it´s 95% a mac user...
Not buggy but from what I´ve read apple loves to break compatibility quite often when doing new versions...
PotAto PotEto :)
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Not buggy but from what I´ve read apple loves to break compatibility quite often when doing new versions... that´s something what me personally would annoy me for that price...
When a new OS comes out, I wait for 4-6 months before updating to it. By then everything is worked out. Following that approach I have never had any issues.

pdxindy wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:51 pm
When a new OS comes out, I wait for 4-6 months before updating to it. By then everything is worked out. Following that approach I have never had any issues.
I even wait 1 or 2 years updating OS. Currently on macOS Mojave 10.14.6. Catalina 10.15.x breaks 32Bit compatibility but that's all AFAIK. So enough time for me to find alternatives for 32Bit software. Problem solved. :phones:

That's not "problem solved", that's "problem avoided"...
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

gentleclockdivider wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:33 pm
Michael L wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:36 pm
chk071 wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:07 pm I wonder if the people who claim Mac's are so much easier and better live on the same planet as I.
No. We live on an easier and better planet. 8)
With higher tax rates :hihi:
We wouldn’t know, because our benevolent dictator provides no standard accounting software! :o
(accountants like backward compatibility for many years....)
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

I've never used Studio One. Once I left Studio One twice.

starflakeprj wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:08 pm That's not "problem solved", that's "problem avoided"...
There just is no problem...

I didn't. I left Cubase.
the secrets to old age: Faster horses, Richer Women, Bigger CPU's

https://soundcloud.com/cristofe-chabot/sets/main

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”