Is it worth learning all music theory

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello, I've been learning music theory at school for the past 5 years, currently level 7 out of 10 referring to the Canadian system. I was wondering what more could I learn in those other 3 levels.

never mind, I'm sorry.

I'm struggling to find much information online about the Canadian mysic theory grade system. My search engine keeps finding British stuff. If you can give us a link to the official syllabus, we might be able to comment on how those topics are used in practice.

Yea get a 10 outa 10 so you can teach it... thats a way to make a livin

Is it worth learning all music theory?
it depends on....
why is that important to you?
for example you can make music without any theory...

The question is definitely moose... I mean MOOT! Sorry.

You've come this far. Might as well. :shrug:
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

It's definitely worth it to at least learn the basics so you know what's going on when you look at scales, chords and knowing what key your song is in.

TrueStory wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:47 am It's definitely worth it to at least learn the basics so you know what's going on when you look at scales, chords and knowing what key your song is in.
id hope that was mentioned in the first 5 years :hihi:

No. It's just a theory.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Music theory is required knowledge for selecting loops in the same key :D
Prestissimo in Moto Perpetuo

Melkor wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:59 pm Music theory is required knowledge for selecting loops in the same key :D
there should be a rule, that all loops must be in a certain key for a given genre.
break the rule, you will be banished from musics, not even allowed to listen anymore! (you have to be tough on rule breakers).

In a decade or so, the millennials will be able to do a Masters Degree in Ableton!

Wait... I think that may be possible already :D
Prestissimo in Moto Perpetuo

Melkor wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:43 pm In a decade or so, the millennials will be able to do a Masters Degree in Ableton!

Wait... I think that may be possible already :D
few years back over here (uk) media studies, you could do a degree on madonna or david beckham.
it was at this point i lost all faith in the future of our race.
what kind of job are you gonna get? tour guide in a wax works?

Melkor wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:59 pm Music theory is required knowledge for selecting loops in the same key :D
Well crap {sigh}... that 'splains my problem. :dog:
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

Return to “Music Theory”