Anyone else leave Cubase for Ableton?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Yes, our parents called them elevator music. Probably we call them intelligent elevator music.

pdxindy wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:56 pm
dellboy wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:32 pm
.jon wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:43 pm
Bitwig didn't make any sounds in that video, that was Pigments, Dune, Serum and Microtonic- not saying BWS couldn't make great sounds, but seriously man.
I was told it was a Bitwig performance, so I naturally concluded that it was Bitwig sounds. I was impressed - now I am not. Any old DAW could have been used to do this.
Actually, some DAW's couldn't do this cause the sound would have been interrupted while working
So I thought I would install Bitwig 8 track to give this a try.

Except when I logged into my account there is only the very latest 3.2 8 track. It says I need to to upgrade to a new plan.

I had a look around to try and find my old 8 track download, but nope, its nowhere to be found.

A bit silly of Bitwig to only give a one year license for there 8 track version.

Contrast that with Ableton who have continuously upgraded my old Lite to the latest version.

Oh well.

#edit: Ignore this:

I found out how to get an old version and its working now.

xbitz wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:30 pm the modulators of MUX can be modulated from outside(for ex. with Cubase Auto LFO) and from inside too(with its own modulators "...Audio-rate Parameter Modulation.
...Modulate any VST parameter with any of the MUX modulators like LFO, ADSR, Multi-Point Envelope, ..."- https://www.mutools.com/mux-product.html, support VST plugins which can be organized into racks which can be connected to each other as you able to imagine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hvyM406tbY
from 3:45 https://www.kvraudio.com/product/mux-mo ... by-mutools
Thanks for the suggestion. I guess I could try loading all my VSTi's and VST's into it but it's a bit of a hassle and it is clearly a workaround that will take more effort, compared to using Bitwig.

mikecueto wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:20 pm
Cubase just feels so...clunky, and convoluted. I know it's often referred to as a very "deep" DAW, but I feel often that's an excuse for its steep learning curve...
You can't have powerful or complex features without a learning curve. Come back to me when you can you record a 100 player orchestra and group edit multi mic'd recordings without losing phase accuracy in Ableton? Or how about setup a 150 track orchestral template with expression maps and group tracks.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

Longtime Cubase user here (+20 years). I've recently done some work in Ableton Live lite and I really enjoyed the straightforward, fast and intuitive workflow. Cubase user interface, even though they too implemented a one window layout some time ago, feels a bit stale and often requires more clicks and more user interaction to achieve the same basic.

Many people argue that Cubase is better for composing and arrangement, but I find it much more difficult to turn a basic idea (say a 8 bar loop with multiple instrument tracks) into a song in Cubase, than in Ableton. Cubase Arranger is really a joke compared to how quickly you can create and define different sections of a song in Ableton using the Session View ("Clip Launcher") and then transforming those ideas into a song structure by recording these sections into the Arrangement View. You can actually do it on the fly, something that you cannot really do in a traditional DAW with only a linear sequencer.

Obviously it depends on the scenario and your needs. Ableton (even the full version) doesn't claim to cover all eras of audio production, that a more traditional DAW does, at some point in the production process, you might need access to "deep editing" functions, that are not available in Ableton.

Altogether I would still say that Cubase is a pretty good DAW, but it could learn a few things (essentially faster, more intuitive workflow and better UI design) from Ableton.

v1o wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:05 pm
mikecueto wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:20 pm
Cubase just feels so...clunky, and convoluted. I know it's often referred to as a very "deep" DAW, but I feel often that's an excuse for its steep learning curve...
You can't have powerful or complex features without a learning curve. Come back to me when you can you record a 100 player orchestra and group edit multi mic'd recordings without losing phase accuracy in Ableton? Or how about setup a 150 track orchestral template with expression maps and group tracks.
Well, seeing as I don't imagine I'll ever need to do either of those things, I won't need to come back to you.

I've used Cubase for 10 years and know it VERY well, but, for what I'm doing now I appreciate the simplicity and straightforwardness that ableton offers. It allows me to hash out ideas very quickly, and like I said, I'll probably bounce my finished producys to Cubase for more intense mixing and final production/mastering.

Your needs are clearly different from mine, and THAT'S OK.

mikecueto wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:21 pm
Your needs are clearly different from mine, and THAT'S OK.
Lol I'm not Hans Zimmer. I was just saying all that power comes at some expense. Live is great for making loop based music but not so great for other stuff that Cubase does so well. I think Live is more directly comparable to stuff like Bitwig, Fl Studio and Acid.

Ten years ago there were some people with the opinion that if you're not using a serious DAW like Cubase or Pro Tools, then you're just playing with toys. But no one thinks like that these days. You can make good quality music even with iOS apps.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

xbitz wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:24 pm clip-based workflow is different anyway
Now that Logic and Digital Performer(!) have a clip launcher, Cubase will follow.

Studio One is like a combination of Live and Cubase, but does feel like a too bloated and complex (nothing against complex, Digital Performer and Logic do that in a way I like, Reaper not so múch... ), version of Live to mé.

v1o wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:05 pm
Or how about setup a 150 track orchestral template with expression maps and group tracks.
Actually Live (less) and Bitwig handle articulation management better than all the other DAWs except Cubase and Logic. Studio One's keyswitch automation is way more limited.
And a 150 track template isn't a problém in Live, the bigger ones with more than 500 or 1000 are (but I don't use them, I drag and drop them from multiple 'template projects').

I don't know about Cubase, but less than 200 tracks of non-playing VSTi in empty project makes Ableton take 13 seconds to just change track order. I don't know people call this as problem but I doubt it is purely usable.

tooneba wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:19 pm I don't know about Cubase,
Without a doubt handles it way better, but you also have to disable tracks you don't use.
tooneba wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:19 pm but less than 200 tracks of inactive VSTi in empty project makes Ableton take 13 seconds to just change track order.
It has been a while (9?), but IIRC I had to disable the tracks and switch off all racks (with multiple patches to switch between) and/or instrument patches. But I generally didn't like the 'big template' approach (also in DP I always grab the tracks from several template projects).

I think people are more likely to switch from Logic to Ableton than from Cubase to Ableton.
Anyway, I think a lot of people don't switch from Cubase but use both. In the studio Cubase (Cubase is much better at midi and audio) and on stage/live Ableton especially in combination with a controller like Ableton Push.

mikecueto wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:20 pm I recently purchased Ableton Intro for liver performance, but loved it so much I went and bought standard. Now that I have the workflow of Ableton down (somewhat) I may just ditch Cubase altogether.

I'll probably keep it around for mastering and such, but, has anyone else out there moved on to Ableton from Cubase?

Why?

What do you like better?

Anything you miss about Cubase?
I ditched protools for Ableton. If you can I recommend upgrading to suite if you really wanna go deeper

there are a couple of creative songwriting technics which simply can't be achieved just with PITA in Cubase check the list on the left https://www.groove3.com/tutorials/Ablet ... sign-Ideas

on the other hand mixing/mastering far more enjoyable in Cubase, although the integrated Push(2) can be used as a mixer too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKKCwyUjplc
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

MuLab-Reaper of course :D

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”