Why did you leave Studio One?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

pdxindy wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:43 pm
starflakeprj wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:08 pm That's not "problem solved", that's "problem avoided"...
There just is no problem...
Sure...if you have a car but all gears are broken besides one, you can run on that gear and claim the car has no problems.
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

starflakeprj wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:29 pm
starflakeprj wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:08 pm That's not "problem solved", that's "problem avoided"...
Sure...if you have a car but all gears are broken besides one, you can run on that gear and claim the car has no problems.
Your analogy has nothing to do with the situation as discussed.

I've been using Macs for many years... all the gears work and they have been good tools which have allowed me to do a tremendous amount of work with near zero hassle.

pdxindy wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:33 pm

I've been using Macs for many years... all the gears work and they have been good tools which have allowed me to do a tremendous amount of work with near zero hassle.
But you indirectly were telling us you wait for 4-6 months before updating to avoid any issues- This must be because you know there ARE issues (=problems) with some software when a new OS is released. That is not what I would call "all gears work", it's what I would call driving on third gear until the gear box has been fixed, and then switching up to fifth gear.

Edit: Also, be glad I didn't pulled a football analogy as I would have done in most other cases :D
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

starflakeprj wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:41 pm
pdxindy wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:33 pm

But you indirectly were telling us you wait for 4-6 months before updating to avoid any issues- This must be because you know there ARE issues (=problems) with some software when a new OS is released. That is not what I would call "all gears work", it's what I would call driving on third gear until the gear box has been fixed, and then switching up to fifth gear.
All software has bugs in the initial release of any major update. Then there are subsequent releases that fix those issues. Duh!

Again you analogy is stupid... the previous OS version does not suddenly stop working or 'lose 3 gears' when a new OS is released. My computer is working just fine with all gears on the previous OS while the new OS gets released and then made solid. By the time I update, the transition is seamless and trouble free and then I keep working with all gears without any interruption. So for me there has been no problem at all.

No, but the new OS can add one or two extra gears that you're not able to use. But I admit, I like cutting edge, some people don't.

I like apple delusionists proclaiming they don’t need to decide things themselves by getting Mac but at the same time someone pulling out doublethinking card and saying you wrongly decided to update OS it breaks softwares. Typical apple talk.

pdxindy wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:43 pmYou are presenting it a bit wrong. It is not that Apple users (at least this one) view choice as a bad thing. Some people don't want to spend their time making choices and decisions about every little unimportant thing.
"Little and unimportant" is things like deciding whether or not to install a free plugin, the decision on what computer you will spend a shit-ton of money on, and the ecosystem you will subsequently be locked into, is anything but unimportant. That said, it is almost impossible these days to make a bad decision. Any old thing will get the job done in 2020 but it's still not a trivial choice. At the very least, no MacBook offers enough USB ports for my needs, even with Overhub, so they are immediately excluded from my selection set (because I could run Windows on one if it was a suitable choice).
Computers is one of those things for me. I don't need 200 different choices. I also wouldn't need a store that had 200 different hammers. Give me one store with a few choices of decent tools and I can quickly get what I need for the task that interests me.
That's nothing more than a path to ignorance and poor choices. Anyone who sticks to a brand does that. And, for the record, I have five different hammers for different purposes, there is no one size fits all.
Yet your identity seems caught up in defining itself by your consumer choices. Talk about being an unquestioning drone!
What is your identity but the sum of all the choices you make throughout your life? Do I get a haircut or grow it long? Do I shave or grow a beard? Do I wear slacks or jeans? Do I sip lattes in cafes or work for a living? Do I kill that miserable c**t in front of all these witnesses and spend the rest of my life in gaol or slash his tyres in the middle of the night?
The brand name of the tools I use just doesn't matter to me.
Nor does it matter to me. The last 10 laptops I've owned have been from 7 different vendors. What matters to me is getting the performance I need for the best price. I like to spend my money on the important things, not on the things that are most easily marketed to gullible consumers.
andypryce wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:04 pmWhy would I spend hours, days to see which MB or Graphic Card is better, what works good/bad with what instead of grabbing a Mac and starting to do music straight away?
Why do you think that's the choice? It's at least as easy to get the right PC, instead of the best compromise. And how is this for a turn-about? I just went to Apple's site to configure a MacBook Pro to match my current laptop and realised they ask you to make way more decisions about what goes into it than Dell did when I bought mine. So this idea of not having to worry about all that stuff is pure bullshit.

Anyway, here's what I found. My laptop was $1799 + $180 (SSD upgrade) + $140 (more RAM), for a total of Au$2119. A MB Pro with pretty much identical spec (same CPU), except for the graphics, which are worse on the Mac, is Au$5299. That is 250% more for essentially the same thing. No, actually it's 250% more for less because you don't get anywhere near the selection of ports I get, you get worse graphics and you only get a single SSD, where my system has two. And the Mac can't be upgraded later, my laptop can. I also got the screen I wanted, not the one they wanted to sell me.
Etienne1973 wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:02 pmI even wait 1 or 2 years updating OS. Currently on macOS Mojave 10.14.6. Catalina 10.15.x breaks 32Bit compatibility but that's all AFAIK. So enough time for me to find alternatives for 32Bit software. Problem solved.
So you admit it was a problem and it had to be solved. Because it's not a problem on Windows, all my old 32 bit software continues to work and will, I imagine, continue to do so for the rest of my life.
pdxindy wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:43 pmThere just is no problem...
Except you already admitted there is and told us how you deal with it. And, let's be honest, waiting 6 months before upgrading to Catalina didn't magically make all your old 32 bit software start working again, did it?
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:56 am
Etienne1973 wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:02 pmI even wait 1 or 2 years updating OS. Currently on macOS Mojave 10.14.6. Catalina 10.15.x breaks 32Bit compatibility but that's all AFAIK. So enough time for me to find alternatives for 32Bit software. Problem solved.
So you admit it was a problem and it had to be solved. Because it's not a problem on Windows, all my old 32 bit software continues to work and will, I imagine, continue to do so for the rest of my life.
Good for you. :phones:

Edit: I've always had enough time to avoid problems that really matter on Mac. :tu:

BONES wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:56 am
pdxindy wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:43 pmThere just is no problem...
Except you already admitted there is and told us how you deal with it. And, let's be honest, waiting 6 months before upgrading to Catalina didn't magically make all your old 32 bit software start working again, did it?
It is not a problem for me. Macs work great for me. I've been using Macs for 2+ decades with almost no fuss or hassle of any kind. I've made enough money from computer work that the cost of the machines is no consequence. I'm a satisfied customer. Oh, and I don't have any 32 bit software.

I haven't left Studio One but I might - I am near the end of my first major audio project with S1 and there are a few things missing that might lead me back to Reaper for audio editing and end up with a combination of Bitwig and Reaper rather than Bitwig and S1.
S1 lacks a good event alignment system - for example markers do not have an associated line through the arrange window to allow one to line up say waveform features within events spread across distant tracks. For projects involving dozens of such alignment procedures S1 is quite inefficient

BONES wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:56 amThe last 10 laptops I've owned have been from 7 different vendors. What matters to me is getting the performance I need for the best price. I like to spend my money on the important things, not on the things that are most easily marketed to gullible consumers
10 laptops? :clown:

I won't have owned 10 Macs in my whole lifetime! I use the same Mac usually for 10 years. Isn't there a Windows consumer tendency to buy new or modify machines constantly? Isn't that spending more money than really needed? :wink:

Etienne1973 wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:29 am Isn't there a Windows consumer tendency to buy new or modify machines constantly?
no

fairlyclose wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:42 am
Etienne1973 wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:29 am Isn't there a Windows consumer tendency to buy new or modify machines constantly?
no
Sure as Windows evangelist you have to completely disagree. Cliché. :phones:

We exaggerate and pointing our fingers on each other's platform preference. :wink:

Etienne1973 wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:54 am
fairlyclose wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:42 am
no
Sure as Windows evangelist you have to completely disagree. Cliché. :phones:

We exaggerate and pointing our fingers on each other's platform preference. :wink:
actually I have never really had an issue with either platform - both have had their periods of unreliability but it has been along time since that has been a problem for either platform. The only reason to change, one to the other, would be if there is some pressing need in software (or I guess just for the fun of learning something new)

ASIDE - I keep all my machines, cars, computers, musical instruments, until they pretty much wear out. Then I really enjoy getting a new one because by then the new ones actually are different enough to be better

I'm not like that at all. New things inspire me, especially new instruments. I definitely get bored using the same instrument for a long period of time. I think the reason I went through a 10 year period of not writing anything is because Orion had become stale after a decade. I wasn't aware of it because it was, and remains, the best VST host I've come across but that didn't stop me from getting stale using it. I got a bit of a kick from the move to Cubase but Studio One has really got me fired up - I've not felt this motivated in many, many years.
Etienne1973 wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:29 am10 laptops?
I pretty much buy a new one every year, although I intend to keep my current one for two or three. I almost bought one of Asus's dual screen jobbies earlier in the year but it's graphics performance wasn't up to snuff.
I won't have owned 10 Macs in my whole lifetime!
Neither will I.
I use the same Mac usually for 10 years.
More fool you. The oldest MacPros we have here at work are Late 2012 models and their performance is around half that of the later MacPros they bought in 2017. The difference is night and day, despite the older Macs being upgraded with more RAM and better graphics cards. A 10 year old Mac would basically be a door-stop. Possibly still usable for audio/music but completely useless for my work, which is what determines the spec of my own machine.
Isn't there a Windows consumer tendency to buy new or modify machines constantly? Isn't that spending more money than really needed? :wink:
Actually, the main reason I buy a new one each year is that it works out cheaper. A 12 month old laptop is still worth decent money but if you keep it too long, it becomes basically worthless when you're done with it. So I can lose $400-$500 every year or a couple of grand every three or four years. The trick is never paying anything close to retail. I paid $1799 for my current machine, which had a full retail price of Au$2899. I got it through the company I work for, so the money came out of my wages pre-tax, which saved me another Au$450 or so. 15 months later, it still has the same CPU as a brand new MacBook Pro, so I could probably sell it for more than I paid, or at the very least break even on it. But I'm happy to hang onto it until something else comes along to tempt me.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”