Midi receive issues

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So I have a weird issue that has just started. I'm using Cubase Pro 10.5 on Windows 10 64 bit. Audio interface is a Steinberg UR44 and my midi interface is a ESI M4UeX. Everything was working perfectly until about a week ago when suddenly Cubase stopped receiving midi signals from my controller keyboard (Roland A-500Pro). It was fine yesterday in a 6 hour session, left it overnight, all systems still turned on and this morning the same problem. The keyboard is sending midi according to the display screen on the keyboard. All drivers are up to date. If I restart Cubase the problem is still there and it only seems to correct itself if I do a restart of my PC. Possibly a Windows problem? Driving me nuts. Anyone experienced this issue? Any suggestions? :(

Thanks.
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

ramseysounds wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:35 pm...left it overnight, all systems still turned on and this morning the same problem... the problem is still there and it only seems to correct itself if I do a restart of my PC
Does the computer go into hibernation if you leave it running? That might be the cause of a problem, i.e. it doesn't wake up in the same state.

Also, check if the computer is receiving MIDI at all, to find out whether the problem is with Cubase or with Windows. Use another DAW (can be a demo too, obviously) or some MIDI monitoring software - quick google gave me this, but there's many others:
https://www.morson.jp/pocketmidi-webpage/
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Thanks for reply. i'll look into the hibernation thing. That's a solid suggestion.

check power saving too.
you might have it set up with something regarding peripherals.

definitely sounds like sometbing to do with time on but not used, if a restart fixes it.
any particular reason you leave it on so long when not in use?

Don't forget you have a built-in MIDI interface in the UR44. You can use that to bypass the other MIDI box for troubleshooting.

vurt wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:04 pm check power saving too.
you might have it set up with something regarding peripherals.

definitely sounds like sometbing to do with time on but not used, if a restart fixes it.
any particular reason you leave it on so long when not in use?
It's weird because it was working fine since forever, them about 2 weeks ago I started getting the problems. I'm suspecting it coincided with the last Windows update maybe because I haven't changed any settings..

I leave it on permanently; just laziness I guess. Never been a problem until now :shrug:

woah! i thought i was lazy! but im ok with pressing a power button :lol:

yup, sounds like the update has changed some setting for hibernation/power saving.

So I've been through the power settings and there is one called 'USB selective suspend setting'. This was enabled (midi device is connected through usb) so I have disabled it. Will see if this makes a difference when I leave it on all night (sorry vurt :P ) and come in here tomorrow. It makes sense though. :tu:

Looks like this has solved it. Happy days.

yay! :party:

I hate it when windows updates does this

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”