One-Synth-Challenge: General discussion thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

@Björn "C=64" :D

mine's dead in the attic! Power supply melted - computer didn't work with a new one, so I guess most everything inside also fried! My system was: C=64, tape cassette, serial disk drive, matrix printer. Programmed stuff with the Zeus assembler.

SID rules OK? :tu:

dB

Mine died two months ago when our basement was flooded. :cry:
Same configuration except for the matrix printer and an E-Prommer module. Assembler here was “TEXAS”... :idea:

Cheers, Björn

I also had the KCS Power Cartridge made in Holland! UK folk were "banned" from buying this. It had the ability to do "total Backup" to disk, and reload from disk. So, you loaded a program from tape, when all was loaded, you pressed the button and saved the image to disk. Not that I borrowed tapes from libraries and made backups for them in case their tapes fouled up. :D

RIP C=64 ... fond memories of extending the graphics to full screen width by playing with interlacing and flyback interrupts! SID was quite a clever chip in its time.

dB

I used the E-Prommer to burn the firmware of a self-built DIN-Sync to MIDI interface based on a 8031 micro controller (for MC-202 to TR-505 synchronization). Still have the carcass of the buddy lying around here (but not the 202 or 505 anymore).

What backups are you talking? Borrowed tapes or disks? Never did that! :hihi:

Cheers, Björn

In regards to allowable uses of automation, I thought I'd correct a previous belief:
z.prime wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:19 pm ... I took the Airwindows DC Voltage plugin and applied a Bitwig LFO, and this is what you get: very heavily stepped oscillations, at block size:
So while it is possible to modulate a synth to do lots of things it wouldn't normally do, it still isn't possible to use modulators as an audio synthesis source.
There was a discussion earlier today that informed me VST3 is supposed to support audio-rate modulation (which, maybe VST2 could, if you ran a plugin at 1 sample buffer size, but I digress...). I tried this out with Sonic Academy NODE (because it's the only VST3 I could find that I had installed which would give me a DC offset). Using NODE, I came to the realization of 2 things:
First: VST3 does seem to support audio-rate modulation and Bitwig seems to support this:
vst3-node-dc-offset-audio-rate-modulation.png
... but this was when trying to modulate the level of a DC offset using a square wave LFO. Why is it a triangle? I don't know for sure but I suspect that the reason is...
Second: many synths implement parameter smoothing, which would actually have the effect of making this audio-rate modulation not work properly! This is more of an FYI.

The important bit is: using audio rate modulation you could, for example modulate a dc offset with a wave file and get the audio back out. I suggest if there were to be a change to the rules, perhaps clarifying: "modulation may not be used to generate sound" or something similar ("modulation rates must be < 20 Hz", etc., etc.).

Just some 2 cents if the topic comes up again...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Got this from

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=280400&start=120

KHS One is free for a limited time with code APGONE. Nice freebie

Maybe BJ or Richard could reach out to kilohearts ?
Man is least himself when he talks in the first person. Give him a mask, and he'll show you his true face

On the other hand, I think Kilohearts said in that thread that they are basically about to discontinue KHS One, and that's why they're giving it away.

If you want to go for a temporary freebie, why not Cherry Audio Voltage Modular? That has been free since the summer, with no indication of it going back to being for pay any time soon. It seems like there was an unofficial contest with this when it was free for a month a while ago, but it wasn't very big.

Monique became free:
https://www.kvraudio.com/product/moniqu ... -monoplugs
Sounds good, but doesn’t seem to support any pitch bend...

Another suggestion is Exakt Lite, an FM synth.
https://www.sonicbits.com/exakt-lite.html

exponent1 wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:12 am Another suggestion is Exakt Lite, an FM synth.
I tried this one, it's pretty nice but missing pitch envelopes. Would be an absolutely killer synth if the dev just added pitch envelopes... you could go try to bug the dev on slack if you wanted :pray:

z.prime wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:22 am
exponent1 wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:12 am Another suggestion is Exakt Lite, an FM synth.
I tried this one, it's pretty nice but missing pitch envelopes. Would be an absolutely killer synth if the dev just added pitch envelopes... you could go try to bug the dev on slack if you wanted :pray:
Can't we assign one of the envelopes to the rate parameter that changes the pitch?

exponent1 wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:54 am
z.prime wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:22 am
Can't we assign one of the envelopes to the rate parameter that changes the pitch?
Unfortunately, the only modulation assignment you have is LFO, the "LFO Modulation" section is the matrix for that:

The envelopes, however, correspond to the operator with the same name (A through D + Filter) and can't be assigned to anything else. I talked with the dev about this and he has plans for a non-Lite version, presumably paid. It's just a shame that this synth is _so close_ to being something really special.

z.prime wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:38 pm The envelopes, however, correspond to the operator with the same name (A through D + Filter) and can't be assigned to anything else. I talked with the dev about this and he has plans for a non-Lite version, presumably paid. It's just a shame that this synth is _so close_ to being something really special.

Concerning Exakt Lite: much as I love FM synths , I can't get Reaper, Sonar or Waveform to even recognize this one on Windows 7. :( Going by the KVR product thread, it's a common thing. Let's not do that one, please. :pray:

Wow, Monique looks like a monster! Again monophonic, but when it was a problem... :lol:

Now I can't remember what it was, but I also tried to install Exact Lite in Windows 7 and... something didn't work (by the way, I just saw on the developer's website "Windows 8 or higher, 64bit host", this explains a lot) In addition, the prefix "Lite" without explanation is a little confusing...

Return to “Instruments”