bx_oberhausen from Plugin Alliance has landed

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

canadian_moose wrote: No, I dont see anything. What am I looking for?

This is what I see.

Other plugins that gave ui glitchs: Townhouse comp and SSL E channel strip.

Only one that is safe (for now) is Lindell 80.

All of this are minor problems, yet I don't want to deal with them, even at $15 :hihi:

EDIT: oh look, the frequency knob on VCO 2 :lol:
Last edited by XorXisT on Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

XorXisT wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:14 pm
canadian_moose wrote: No, I dont see anything. What am I looking for?

This is what I see.

Other plugins that gave ui glitchs: Townhouse comp and SSL E channel strip.

Only one that is safe (for now) is Lindell 80.

All of this are minor problems, yet I don't want to deal with them, even at $15 :hihi:
Ok, well I can only tell you that it does not happen on my setup.

I also have the SSL E channel strip. No issues with that one either.

Maybe not PA's issue?

BONES wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:45 am
XorXisT wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:42 pmHey BONES I'm not challenging you or something, I'm just curious. That's all.
It never occurred to me that you were. You might have noticed that I am pretty sure of my opinions on stuff like this. It may have to wait until the weekend - album's out tomorrow and I still haven't got the updated website working properly. If you're curious you can have a sneak peek at it HERE.
Yes I know you have strong opinions. Don't sweat, do it only if you have the time.

Thanks

canadian_moose wrote: Maybe not PA's issue?
Maybe, but this does not happen with any other plugin I own, so I'm not gonna waste my time playing sherlock.

I still have some days to try the neve channel strip, and that will be my focus for now.

I'd probably look at your graphics drivers as the starting point. Also do PA plugins let you shut off OpenGL in the settings? But if you don't want to play Sherlock... Then again, you did post here about it a few times. A driver update or rollback probably would've taken as much time.

I saw this in the Bargains section here on KVR:

Plugin Alliance voucher
Any plugin $29.99 only today

HLLWN-2999

Yes, but PA has offers all the time so you don't have to be afraid of missing something.
I have removed a plugin from my PA wish list with this Halloween voucher (Vertigo VSM-3) 8)

Ha! PA has restarted the code generator for vouchers ;) New code: PMPKN-2999
Code expires November 1 - 11:59 PM California Time.
(Any Plugin $29.99)

:tu:

I got the lindell 80 channel strip with the earlier code, mainly just curious about using a channel strip plugin for the first time (and having gotten to play for a time on a Neve back around 1989 or so...). I rationalize this by telling myself (and my wife): think of all the lunches I'm not buying every day by working from home! (She rightly points out: what stopped you from making lunches before? :D)

Debating getting the full version of Thorn. I have the CM version and like it, it's a different sound than anything else I have. bx oberhausen on the other hand I have pretty covered with Diva and obxd. That said, the CM version is quite good on its own and I'm not sure I'm missing that much with the extra oscillator and filters.

The referencing tool Metric AB is likely what I'll get if anything though. My old and rusty ears can use some help!

Stokely wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:15 pm Debating getting the full version of Thorn. I have the CM version and like it, it's a different sound than anything else I have. bx oberhausen on the other hand I have pretty covered with Diva and obxd.
I was surprised how different Oberhausen sounds to those though. It also has the creamiest, most Oberheim-ish sounding filter for me (FWIW). I did a A/B with Diva, and by far preferred Oberhausen's filter. Not as harsh and piercing as the Diva Uhbie filter. Beautiful sounding resonance.

chk071 wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:23 pm
Stokely wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:15 pm Debating getting the full version of Thorn. I have the CM version and like it, it's a different sound than anything else I have. bx oberhausen on the other hand I have pretty covered with Diva and obxd.
I was surprised how different Oberhausen sounds to those though. It also has the creamiest, most Oberheim-ish sounding filter for me (FWIW). I did a A/B with Diva, and by far preferred Oberhausen's filter. Not as harsh and piercing as the Diva Uhbie filter. Beautiful sounding resonance.
Within its narrower domain, Oberhausen sounds better than Diva. Diva, of course, is hugely more flexible and still sounds great. Someone may have the OB sound covered with other tools, but they don't have them covered the same way with the same quality if they don't have Oberhausen.

DS Thorn for $30 also seems worth it - it's unabashedly digital and sharp. Obserhausen+Thorn for $60 alone would get you really far in synth sounds.

I don't necessarily agree with that. bx_oberhausen is a hugely flexible synth, thanks to the combination of cross-modulation - FM, hard sync, etc. - a flexible and characterful filter set-up, plus a few well chosen extra features - unison, 2nd LFO, effects, mod matrix and the mid-side stuff. All that Diva offers are variations on the same theme, it doesn't really possess extra features to give it much greater flexibility. At the end of the day they are both multi-osc synths with a single filter stage, 2x LFO and 2 x Envelopes.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Except Diva offers multiple sets of oscillators, filters, and envelopes, a second high pass filter, much more flexible LFO's, full ADSR envelopes. Oberhausen and Diva are only variations on a theme in the sense that most subtractive analog synths probably share a very similar structure and layout. But Diva is capable of a much wider palette of sounds. Oberhausen is a nice little synth, but it is pretty limited compared to Diva. Even Obsession has the advantage of allowing you to tweak each voice which you can't do in Oberhausen and could do in an Oberheim 8-Voice. The fact that with TMT on you get voice variation but 8 independent LFOs per voice is kinda annoying. Wish they just made voice tabs with the ability to sync the LFOs. Nice sounding filter though. Have no idea if it's accurate, but it's super smooth.

Yes, Diva has more features. But, Oberhausen sounds like a Oberheim synth. :)

Return to “Instruments”