Am I understanding this right for Cubase upgrades?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Pretty sure Cubase 11 will be coming out in the next few weeks. They usually have a small grace period if you buy the old version shortly before the new version comes out, you can upgrade for free. I'm on Cubase 10.0 right now. If I buy the 10.5 upgrade today and don't activate until much later (I'm in the middle of moving still and won't be back up until at least February at this rate) it's when you ACTIVATE makes the grace period, not just the purchase? Love to grab the update for $59 now for 10.5 and grace into 11 for free when I get my studio back up in February.

Devon
Simple music philosophy - Those who can, make music. Those who can't, make excuses.
Read my VST reviews at Traxmusic!

Yes, this is how it has worked so far. Of course no one can guarantee that SB doesn’t change things in the future.
I’m not completely sure if it works when you activate it a few months later, I always activated directly after the new updates was announced.

The product you are buying is: upgrade to the latest cubase version at time of activation.

The key here is to differentiate the following:
1- Time of purchase.
2- Time of activation (this is what really matters).

If you buy the upgrade today, and activate it when cubase 11 is out, then you will get cubase 11.

If you activate the upgrade, say in the year 2026 when cubase 14 is out, then you will get cubase 14.

Same goes for Full Cubase Licenses; if you go to a store today and buy a Cubase 5 Box, and activate the license when cubase 11 get out, then you will get cubase 11.

I researched your same question months ago, and found the answer I’m giving you from a representative of Steinberg at Steinberg forums.

Yep, I bought 10.5 a few months back when it was on sale, once they announce 11 I'll be activating. I just keep waiting for an announcement... surprised there hasn't been one yet.
Have you tried Vital?

Psuper wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:06 pm Yep, I bought 10.5 a few months back when it was on sale, once they announce 11 I'll be activating. I just keep waiting for an announcement... surprised there hasn't been one yet.
Same here.

So if I buy Cubase 7 second hand, do I also have the grace period, or just when I have an absolute unused licence?

No, your used Cubase 7 license won't qualify for a grace period upgrade. :)

Used licenses in general can't be used, because they are already activated, and, Cubase 7 is an old version, if then, you will only be able to use the latest version for the grace period update, because, the grace period is meant for those who weren't aware that there is a new version coming out very shortly, so, it only applies to people who bought the former version in the last couple of weeks. Or those who didn't activate their license yet.

marioisaac wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:04 pm The product you are buying is: upgrade to the latest cubase version at time of activation.

The key here is to differentiate the following:
1- Time of purchase.
2- Time of activation (this is what really matters).

If you buy the upgrade today, and activate it when cubase 11 is out, then you will get cubase 11.

If you activate the upgrade, say in the year 2026 when cubase 14 is out, then you will get cubase 14.

Same goes for Full Cubase Licenses; if you go to a store today and buy a Cubase 5 Box, and activate the license when cubase 11 get out, then you will get cubase 11.

I researched your same question months ago, and found the answer I’m giving you from a representative of Steinberg at Steinberg forums.
That's how I read it as well. Thanks for confirming. I'll buy it here in the next day or so and just wait. Awesome! Thanks!

Devon
Simple music philosophy - Those who can, make music. Those who can't, make excuses.
Read my VST reviews at Traxmusic!

ggggg
Last edited by codec_spurt on Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

marioisaac wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:04 pm Same goes for Full Cubase Licenses; if you go to a store today and buy a Cubase 5 Box, and activate the license when cubase 11 get out, then you will get cubase 11.

I did exactly this today and I got Cubase 5 instead of 11. So it didn't work as advertised in the quote.

kodnin wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:23 pm
marioisaac wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:04 pm Same goes for Full Cubase Licenses; if you go to a store today and buy a Cubase 5 Box, and activate the license when cubase 11 get out, then you will get cubase 11.

I did exactly this today and I got Cubase 5 instead of 11. So it didn't work as advertised in the quote.
It's most likely that Cubase 5 copy had been registered before. Did you buy it used?
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

v1o wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:54 pm
kodnin wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:23 pm

It's most likely that Cubase 5 copy had been registered before. Did you buy it used?
It was 100% new. Sealed and everything. Activated using the unused activation code.

Check the grace period eligibility https://o.steinberg.net/en/support/grace_period.html

rasscass wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:06 am Check the grace period eligibility https://o.steinberg.net/en/support/grace_period.html
Thank you, I've contacted support.

kodnin wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:27 am
rasscass wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:06 am Check the grace period eligibility https://o.steinberg.net/en/support/grace_period.html
Thank you, I've contacted support.
Steinberg were really quick and helpful, but it couldn't be activated as Cubase Pro 11. Cubase 5 was the last version not eligible for the grace period.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”