How's FL Studio 20?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

antic604 wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:15 am Do they still do birthday offers? I've got one in 2 weeks... :help:
They do. If my memory serves me right they send the code a month prior to birthday. If you haven't received it contact them.
satYatunes - Sound and Graphic Designer
Beautiful UI and skins for VST plugins.
Website | Portfolio

satYatunes wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:54 pm
antic604 wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:15 am Do they still do birthday offers? I've got one in 2 weeks... :help:
They do. If my memory serves me right they send the code a month prior to birthday. If you haven't received it contact them.
No, I didn't. Thanks! :tu:

Although I doubt they can beat the re-sellers offer - Signature Bundle shows at $367 at IL store and ...$254 at audiodeluxe.com
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

antic604 wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:15 am
xbitz wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:58 amthey've created a quite comprehensive video about the new workflow...
Yeah, this finally made it "usable" for me, i.e. I could wrap my head around what's connected to what :D

Do they still do birthday offers? I've got one in 2 weeks... :help:
There is no Linux version of FL Studio, or is your Linux adventure already over? :P

antic604 wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:16 pm
satYatunes wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:54 pm
No, I didn't. Thanks! :tu:

Although I doubt they can beat the re-sellers offer - Signature Bundle shows at $367 at IL store and ...$254 at audiodeluxe.com
They stopped doing it some time ago. It was abused in some way.

Reefius wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:59 pmThere is no Linux version of FL Studio, or is your Linux adventure already over? :P
No, I'm not giving up just yet but 4 fresh installs later - after I f**ked it up somehow - I'm starting to lose hope I'm smart enough to use it :D

And who knows - maybe FL will convince me to stick to Windows? :lol:
Music tech enthusiast

antic604 wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:20 pm
Reefius wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:59 pmThere is no Linux version of FL Studio, or is your Linux adventure already over? :P
No, I'm not giving up just yet but 4 fresh installs later - after I f**ked it up somehow - I'm starting to lose hope I'm smart enough to use it :D
It's not because you're not smart enough, I can give you that.

It's probably for the best anyway. I wouldn't waste my time with it, it's not nearly as stable and unproblematic as Windows or Mac OS anyway. For me, Linux is more of a religion. Used it for 8 years (different distributions, Ubuntu, Mint, and Fedora), and, I've seen enough of it.

Using Linux is like eating vegan bratwurst. Especially when you use all that wrapper stuff to run Windows software.

Linux originally is a command line based OS and for me that's still the only proper use of Linux. All these graphic shells are nothing more than poor emulations of Windows or Mac OS.

Need a rock solid OS to run any kind of server? Linux is the way to go.
Need something that looks like Windows? Get Windows :P
Need something that looks like Mac OS? Buy a Mac or go Hackintosh.

FL 20, love it. Although I have to say Logic Pro built in plugins look a lot cleaner, modern, and consistent. Also Ableton's little racks system of plugins, makes you want to use it more. And you dont need to adjust your understanding of a plugin and button controls. FL plugins are great. But it discourages you to use it half of the time, cuz of the UI, UX and the inconsistency. Just look at how different Harmor and Edison looks like. I get it that they have built it over time in the last 20 years. But I think this is my personal most disliked thing about the plugins. I just find myself getting third party plugins all the time over their completely fine and adequate built in plugins.
But that doesn't stop me from producing there at all. Don't buy it if you do advanced vocal editing and recording. Don't buy if you don't like naming and organizing tracks. Don't buy if you're mostly a mixer. Buy if you like lifetime free updates. Buy if you're a producer and singer songwriter. The deal they got right now, is the best I've seen in about 2 years. Think quick haha

stephen96 wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:36 pm FL 20, love it. Although I have to say Logic Pro built in plugins look a lot cleaner, modern, and consistent. Also Ableton's little racks system of plugins, makes you want to use it more. And you dont need to adjust your understanding of a plugin and button controls. FL plugins are great. But it discourages you to use it half of the time, cuz of the UI, UX and the inconsistency. Just look at how different Harmor and Edison looks like. I get it that they have built it over time in the last 20 years. But I think this is my personal most disliked thing about the plugins. I just find myself getting third party plugins all the time over their completely fine and adequate built in plugins.
But that doesn't stop me from producing there at all. Don't buy it if you do advanced vocal editing and recording. Don't buy if you don't like naming and organizing tracks. Don't buy if you're mostly a mixer. Buy if you like lifetime free updates. Buy if you're a producer and singer songwriter. The deal they got right now, is the best I've seen in about 2 years. Think quick haha
How is Logic's workflow compared to FL?

stephen96 wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:36 pm FL 20, love it. Although I have to say Logic Pro built in plugins look a lot cleaner, modern, and consistent. Also Ableton's little racks system of plugins, makes you want to use it more. And you dont need to adjust your understanding of a plugin and button controls. FL plugins are great. But it discourages you to use it half of the time, cuz of the UI, UX and the inconsistency. Just look at how different Harmor and Edison looks like. I get it that they have built it over time in the last 20 years. But I think this is my personal most disliked thing about the plugins. I just find myself getting third party plugins all the time over their completely fine and adequate built in plugins.
Except the part of individual preference, I think this is well-known GUI affordance argument. This is the reason not all VSTs GUI don't go the same path as Dexed. Different color/shape/size is telling the different feature/sensitivity/usability, which helps convey the "feeling" of the synthesizer.

wuworld wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:40 am How is Logic's workflow compared to FL?
Believe it or not, Logic Pro is now a very versatile, feature rich DAW for all kinds of music makers - producer, writer, bedroom singer, mixer, EDM, band, beatmakers.
Logic new step sequencer is comparable to FL - different, but learn it and it's useable. Not some gimmick. I feel like Logic and FL studio workflow is very much similar today. You got the sequencer, playlist/timeline, mixer, audio editor, Logic just got extra beef in their recording and vocal comping, which FL still lacks. That's why i use Logic for vocals and FL for production, sometimes Ableton for very specific sound design ideas. Juggling different DAWs aren't great. It's a workflow. But I rather do one specific thing on the best DAW that offers. Speed and intuition is a big factor in deciding which one to use when.

tooneba wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:20 am Except the part of individual preference, I think this is well-known GUI affordance argument. This is the reason not all VSTs GUI don't go the same path as Dexed. Different color/shape/size is telling the different feature/sensitivity/usability, which helps convey the "feeling" of the synthesizer.
Thanks for putting my experience into technical terms. I looked up GUI affordance and found it to be very interesting. Altho it's bad as a habit, I can't help but choose my softwares and plugins based on their UI/UX. I don't really like the old school 2000s plugin looks - Waves is a great example. I never used RVox until they updated the GUI lol. And that's when I realized the audio world really needs to step up their UI/UX game. I also think you can overdo it - like Output Movement and their early products. Very complex and I didn't wanna spend time turning every knob. I think they have figured out their over obsession and now been releasing intuitive plugins like Portal and Thermal.

F**king nope! I've tried it once again tempted with the awesome price/content ratio, but it's just not for me... I mean the connection between playlist track, channel rack and mixer is sort of transformative, but is very brittle and breaks all the time, leaving you with a complete mess if you're not careful - suddenly 3 of tracks that were separate now go into the same mixer channel and changing the routing on one affects all three?! I tried swapig out a plugin, but it creates new track instead? Undo doesn't work for many actions! Piano roll's advanced features might be awesome, but the basic workflow of inserting, editing notes as well as moving around in it is atrocious.

I'll be back at v22. Perhaps by then I will be able to wrap my head around it :D
Music tech enthusiast

^^^ :D
just create a channel filter group, drop a Patcher instance to a playlist track header, drop some instrument into Patcher route the instruments in it to different tracks and create a submix for them
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkZ1Kh4792A
and done, definitely awkward compared to BWS for ex. but not bad at all
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

xbitz wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:39 am...definitely awkward compared to BWS for ex. but not bad at all
"awkward" doesn't even begin to desribe it, but thanks :D

Lucky for me I had to stay late at work yesterday, because I was almost certain to drop by a store that sells boxed FL Signature Editions cheaper than audiodeluxe.com with their current -15%. Dodged the bullet, so to speak :oops: :help:
Music tech enthusiast

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”