SFZ format documentation

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Bjoerns Sample Mapper

You'll need to read the documentation for the implementation of SFZ format you're aiming for. The format is only that -- it's not a set of requirements that software developers must meet.

Having a database or table with opcodes supported by every SFZ software would be nice.

discoDSP wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:38 am Having a database or table with opcodes supported by every SFZ software would be nice.
True, the sfz player authors should do it to let people to know the limits they will met by using it and some of them did it, others not. Trying to make something like that as externals would be difficult to maintain without developers collaboration. I started doing it on sfzformat website but at some point removed.

Having some template to fill would help. At least with Bliss is easy if the LUA import scripting is checked. The following opcodes should be read and converted: sample, basenote, keytrack, lokey, hikey, lovel, hivel, tune, transpose, volume, pan, loop_start and loop_end. So yes, it's a rather basic SFZ player.

Zampler not suport round robin
So if a sfz instrument contain round robin samples
Zampler will play one sample per note

discoDSP wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:13 am Having some template to fill would help.
Do you mean for a list of opcode supported by a player? Maybe a wiki with direct access would be simpler in that case? Or have you some other place in mind? On sfzformat would be done using pull requests.
basenote sounds like a custom opcode.

Perhaps having a public accessible Wiki page with some kind of table with opcodes or something similar so any developer can easily add their software and also make it easy to compare with competing products. I don’t know how many opcodes are available right now by the way.

discoDSP wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:55 pm Perhaps having a public accessible Wiki page with some kind of table with opcodes or something similar so any developer can easily add their software and also make it easy to compare with competing products. I don’t know how many opcodes are available right now by the way.
https://sfzformat.com/opcodes/

We have a Github wiki, though it requires access from registered Github users, so if a registration is not an issue that could be a solution.
Anyway for a list of supported opcodes it would suffice a text file included in the application package, at least for user needs.

I mean, yeah, there's a list of all opcodes in a giant YAML file. This includes more or less ARIA and Cakewalk support. Expanding that to other players would definitely be doable. The whole thing is an open-source project, so developers of other SFZ players, or just users who want to do a bunch of testing, could enter the information on what's supported by a specific player.

Of course this might get out of date if a player adds support for more opcodes (which BassMIDI or sfizz are actively doing), but still, would be of value even with that caveat.

Anyway, if there is some interest from someone to take care of such information let us know, I collected some data around from bassmidi, hise, linuxsampler, liquidsfz, openmpt, sfizz and zerberus (MuseScore), and made in some way as YAML data here before deletion.
Last edited by redtide on Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

redtide wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:39 pm basenote sounds like a custom opcode.
It applies to root key.
redtide wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:25 pm Anyway, if there is some interest from someone to take care of such information let us know, I collected some data around from bassmidi, hise, linuxsampler, liquidsfz, openmpt, sfizz and zerberus (MuseScore), and made in some way as YAML data here before deletion.
Nice. Where I can contribute with Bliss sampler supported SFZ opcodes?

discoDSP wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:23 pm Nice. Where I can contribute with Bliss sampler supported SFZ opcodes?
An option would be to add them on our wiki, which could be a start point as some sandbox for a later better solution, but it would require that all player developers to use it.
The most simple way would be to add a page on your website that we could link to from our list of players page.

Thanks. Will update our Bliss page with supported SFZ opcodes for now.

discoDSP wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:38 am Having a database or table with opcodes supported by every SFZ software would be nice.
We have that table already: https://sfzformat.com/opcodes/

Afaik this is the most detailed table of sfz-opcodes, and if you
look the right column you can see the version of every opcode.

sfz version 1 works with pretty much all sfz players (or at least
it should!)

sfz version 2, on the other hand, works with what is probably
the most advanced sfz player, the Plogue Sforzando.
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”