TBProAudio updates dpMeter to 5.0 - Free RMS/EBU/DIAL Meter Plugin for Windows and Mac OS X

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
dpMeter5

TBProAudio updates dpMeter, a precise digital audio multi channel meter including RMS, EBU R 128, Dialog gated and True Peak (inter-sample) measurement.

Walk through video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oOmefe_fb4

dpMeter5 offers following features:
  • click-free 64-bit internal processing
  • measurement modes: RMS/EBU R128/DIAL
  • multi channel metering: 2-6 RMS channels, 2.0 stereo, 4.0, 4.1 and 5.1 surround
  • RMS: integrated, momentary, peak and true peak, Crest
  • EBU R128: IL, SL, ML, true pack and loudness range
  • DIAL (dialog gated): IL (dialog gated), SL, dialog proportion, loudness range (dialog gated), loudness range, true peak
  • true peak measurement based on ITU BS.1770-4
  • K/A/B/C/M-weighting filter
  • continuous/synced measurement
  • record metering results as automation data
  • large and accurate live meters
  • adjustable pre-gain
  • manual loudness/peak/TP match with given reference level
  • loudness offset mode
  • GUI scale
  • preset management

System Requirements:
  • Windows 7 or newer
  • Mac OS X 10.11 or newer
  • OpenGL2
  • AVX capable CPU
  • Compatible DAW
  • Win: VST2/VST3/AAX, 32/64 Bit
  • OS X: VST2/VST3/AAX/AU, 64 Bit
Price: Free

I can't recommend this tool enough. Great for matching and metering. I like the new look, but the elements seem to float a bit due to the shadows. Maybe less shadows for a flatter appearance? Otherwise really awesome design.

midi_transmission wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:47 pm I can't recommend this tool enough. Great for matching and metering. I like the new look, but the elements seem to float a bit due to the shadows. Maybe less shadows for a flatter appearance? Otherwise really awesome design.
Thank you. Lets see if we reduce the shadows a little bit :)

Hi, I've been using this for a while. Today I'm testing the "Crest" value in it with different wave shapes (sine, tri, square, etc.)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crest_factor

But no matter which RMS mode I choose, it doesn't show the results on Wikipedia. For example when using Sum / AES17, it shows 0dB for a sine wave. Then I switch to Avg, now it shows 3dB for a sine, and 4.7dB for a triangle wave, which coincide with Wiki. But then I test the square and it shows 3dB, which I presumed should be 0dB.

So is there anything I misunderstand in this small test? Or whatever reason that make the results differ? I'd wish to know.

regards,
Seb

bbaasszz wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:10 am Hi, I've been using this for a while. Today I'm testing the "Crest" value in it with different wave shapes (sine, tri, square, etc.)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crest_factor

But no matter which RMS mode I choose, it doesn't show the results on Wikipedia. For example when using Sum / AES17, it shows 0dB for a sine wave. Then I switch to Avg, now it shows 3dB for a sine, and 4.7dB for a triangle wave, which coincide with Wiki. But then I test the square and it shows 3dB, which I presumed should be 0dB.

So is there anything I misunderstand in this small test? Or whatever reason that make the results differ? I'd wish to know.

regards,
Seb

According to the manual CREST is defined as Peak Max minus RMS Integrated.
Maybe this helps https://www.izotope.com/en/learn/what-i ... actor.html

TB-ProAudio wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:49 am According to the manual CREST is defined as Peak Max minus RMS Integrated.

I've read the article after your reply, and now I understand AES17 defines sine wave to have 0dB crest for whatever reason.

So now I expect the AVG mode in dpmeter to be "mathematically correct", i.e. sine = 3dB, tri = 4.77dB and square = 0dB. While for sine and triangle it's true. the square shows 3.2dB in dpmeter5. That's what I can't figure out on my own.

@ TB-ProAudio

PLEASE fix the broken keypad input

trying to tap numeric values via the keypad yields TEXT instead...

bbaasszz wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:55 am
TB-ProAudio wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:49 am According to the manual CREST is defined as Peak Max minus RMS Integrated.

I've read the article after your reply, and now I understand AES17 defines sine wave to have 0dB crest for whatever reason.

So now I expect the AVG mode in dpmeter to be "mathematically correct", i.e. sine = 3dB, tri = 4.77dB and square = 0dB. While for sine and triangle it's true. the square shows 3.2dB in dpmeter5. That's what I can't figure out on my own.
When we do the measurement we get following numbers (sine/tri/square 1kHz, -12 Peak, AVG):
sine: RMS I: -15.1, crest 3.0
tri: RMS I: -16.8, crest 4.8
squre: RMS I: -12.0, crest 0.0

Maybe something seems not be right with the square signal. Maybe you use a signal generator like Melda ...

Michey wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:03 am @ TB-ProAudio

Hmm, which DAW is this?
Works fine in Cubase/Reaper etc...

TB-ProAudio wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:13 am

Hmm, which DAW is this?
My main DAW is Cubase.

In Cantabile (2) it doesn't work (I like to sketch things there). it worked in previous versions...

TB-ProAudio wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:08 am
When we do the measurement we get following numbers (sine/tri/square 1kHz, -12 Peak, AVG):

Maybe something seems not be right with the square signal. Maybe you use a signal generator like Melda ...
Do you use MOscillator?

bbaasszz wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:08 pm
TB-ProAudio wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:08 am

Do you use MOscillator?
Not really, we use our own generator. Melda square looks not very nice. There are a lot signal generators on the web, maybe Google helps.

Michey wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:50 am

Hmm, which DAW is this?
My main DAW is Cubase.

In Cantabile (2) it doesn't work (I like to sketch things there). it worked in previous versions...
Just tested with Cantabile 3 (latest). Works as it should. Maybe you do an upgrade? Or report it to the devs?

dpMeterIV used the correct "dBov" unit where appropriate, but this was reverted in dpMeter5?
2021-01-26 11_36_25-VST3_ dpMeter4 (TBProAudio) (6ch) - Track 1 _Edit this_ (input FX chain) [8_9].png
2021-01-26 11_36_28-VST3_ dpMeter5 (TBProAudio) (6ch) - Track 1 _Edit this_ (input FX chain) [9_9].png
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DBFS#RMS_levels

If a full-scale sine wave measures "0" and a full-scale square wave measures "+3", then it's "dBFS". (AES17)

If a full-scale sine wave measures "-3" and a full-scale square wave measures "0", then it's "dBov". (ITU-T)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hmm, which DAW is this?
You sure it works in Cubase ? here (Cubase 11.0.10\Win 10 Home 64) it doesn't...

Return to “Effects”