Surreal Machines Impact

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Thank you but I wasn't clear, I was talking about the follow up on updates etc (e.g. for display scaling..).

(There was an error in my first message I said I bought Diffuse a long time ago)

Yes, these are in the works rest assured. We had our hands full with new DSP and a new framework but an update for Dub Machines with a scaleable interface and compatibility for new OS' is our next project and around the corner (after the holidays).
PierreJoseff wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:41 pm Thank you but I wasn't clear, I was talking about the follow up on updates etc (e.g. for display scaling..).

(There was an error in my first message I said I bought Diffuse a long time ago)

Great Thank you for the answer

Impact is very well thought out and it sounds great but I think it lacks the ability to work in mid/side which is found in most of today's saturators and dynamic processors.

Believe me we tried it. For the EQ and saturation MS has applications but on transients and even maximising, it really doesn't and makes the signal sound destroyed and unnatural (but not in a good way, to us).
In any case, I've logged your request and we will give it another try whenever a new version is planned but considering some of the other plans we have cooking, that might be quite far down the road.
PierreJoseff wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:44 pm Impact is very well thought out and it sounds great but I think it lacks the ability to work in mid/side which is found in most of today's saturators and dynamic processors.

ok thanks for the reply

Tested both Crack and Impact ... hmm... they are pretty nice I guess but definitely didn't beat the rest transient shapers in my toolbox (DS-10, Nvelope or NI Transient Master) nor DMG Tracklimit or SIR Standardclip for limiting/clipping in terms of sound quality.

The action seems a bit more like and 'automatic compressor' .. rather than transient shaper action... But still, closer to a transient shaper (there are many plugins, especially free/cheap ones that don't feel like true transient shapers at all! )

The good part is that they seem to have tweaked it to be pretty smooth but then they are missing some transients on busy and/or fast material.

Too bad... I was looking forward to getting Impact as it seemed very promising ..but I personally think the sound quality could be better, I'll keep on eye on it..

The dynamic section in both of them is pretty good tho especially for Crack, for a free plugin the limiter sounds particularly smooth, good job! :tu:

feature suggestions:

- Improved sound quality for all modules to compete with the 'best' of them
- any time or shape parameter to help fine-tune the action/character, even if just a bit would be very welcomed!
- limiter release control
- sidechain for the detector! (it's not the same with having multiple bands, especially if one wants parallel processing and avoiding phase distortion)
- option for linear-phase crossovers
- totally reworked saturation, maybe use something else than what seems to me as 'wave shaping' ?
- the eq section is a bit too sensitive to movement..

Slightly crappy that there's a Black Friday sale of this barely two weeks after the initial release. I guess I can suit myself, being an early-adopting moron.

We tried to compensate this by offering all of our existing customers a 10€ voucher (check your spam folder) and making the other products €20 or less. This means you can get diffuse for free, Modnetic for €5 euros or both for €10. We think that these prices are as an honest effort to make our plugins as affordable as we possibly can and still cover our costs. (We have a handful of customers that already owned them all and will contact them personally with a special gift)
BeeDog wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:23 pm Slightly crappy that there's a Black Friday sale of this barely two weeks after the initial release. I guess I can suit myself, being an early-adopting moron.

3ee wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:10 pm The good part is that they seem to have tweaked it to be pretty smooth but then they are missing some transients on busy and/or fast material.
"Smooth" nails it, but i wouldnt see it in a negative way. All the transient shapers i have, behave a bit different. I often ran into situations where i had to test different ones to get the best result. But yeah ... other transient shapers can definitly have a bigger "impact" on your sound :hihi: (with extreme settings). Impact has a different flavour and that's great :tu:

With the additional EQ and saturation, i'm seeing Impact more in the context of a toolbox for drum groups, that should be handled with care. It can be a valuable tool to fine tune some areas in the spectrum. I will do some further tests tomorrow, as my ears are bit tired tonight but i'm almost sure that i'll get it (the additional 10 € loyality coupon makes it practically a no-brainer for me).

soma wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:33 pm We tried to compensate this by offering all of our existing customers a 10€ voucher (check your spam folder) and making the other products €20 or less. This means you can get diffuse for free, Modnetic for €5 euros or both for €10. We think that these prices are as an honest effort to make our plugins as affordable as we possibly can and still cover our costs. (We have a handful of customers that already owned them all and will contact them personally with a special gift)
BeeDog wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:23 pm Slightly crappy that there's a Black Friday sale of this barely two weeks after the initial release. I guess I can suit myself, being an early-adopting moron.
Didn't receive anything, and I keep my spam folder in check like a hawk. Looking back, I don't think I've ever received a single email from Surreal Machines. To double-check, I tried to re-subscribe my email address to your newsletter and received "Given email address is already subscribed, thank you!", and I can't find any specific newsletter settings under my account.

Anyway, I owned the Dub Machines bundle since way earlier, so any €10 voucher can't be used now.

soma wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:33 pm We tried to compensate this by offering all of our existing customers a 10€ voucher (check your spam folder) and making the other products €20 or less. This means you can get diffuse for free, Modnetic for €5 euros or both for €10. We think that these prices are as an honest effort to make our plugins as affordable as we possibly can and still cover our costs. (We have a handful of customers that already owned them all and will contact them personally with a special gift)

Unfortunately I looked at my spams, I didn't receive anything either, my account is with the address audoynaud.pierre@yahoo.fr

Is an NKS update planned for Impact?

I don't think the developers should feel guilty about someone buying their plugins two weeks before the black friday sale. The difference in price about $20, not so much. You knew that November is a "hot" month. It's a free market, after all.

Although I understand the indignation of those who buy Izotope plugins at full price, but there is a completely different case. The full retail price of Surreal Machines plugins is affordable from any view.

Sorry for the off top, I'm not interested in discussing price policy further, just speaked out :) Cheers.

We are undecided on this at the moment. We only have so much bandwidth and so many feature requests and ideas. With Dub Machines, we received very little feedback on the NKS support and it was quite a bit of effort to fully support. We'd rather use the time instead to deliver an update for Dub Machines with a resizable UI and support for more OS' but if the public would rather have NKS support, we could focus on this.
monophonK wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:08 am Is an NKS update planned for Impact?

Return to “Effects”