Who in your opinion are the top 10 rated Electric guitar players of all time in order of greatness?

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Bombadil wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:22 pm I don't like Prince, really, but the man had chops.
i love him!!! well musically, didnt know him personally.
ok, perhaps not everything, surprisingly, his batman, not a fan :hihi:

saw him live a couple of times, he knew how to entertain thats for sure! sadly they were both from squiggle(tafkap) onwards so i didnt see him with wendy and lisa/npg or the really great stuff. although obviously the hits got played. but with a bit if the later, less awesome stuff :hihi:

a great loss though. :(

donkey tugger wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:27 pm Not really interested in the widdle/displays of technical virtuosity except for a laugh now and again, so more into people who use th'axe in interesting ways or write well with it.

I'd also add..

Jimmy Page
Nile Rodgers
Roger McGuinn
Kevin Shields
Robin Guthrie
Tony Iommi
Keith Levene
John McGeogh
Graham Coxon
shields and levene for sure!
and coxon doesnt get the props he deserves so definitely a good call there!
did you see his "that pedal show" interview? plays some of the crazy shit from early on, some interesting techniques!

In no order...
Robin Guthrie
Duane Allman
Clem Clemson
Frank Zappa
Keith Merrow
Johnny Winter
Pat Metheny
Alex Lifeson
Paul Rudolph
Steve Howe
...not because they're good, because I like 'em.

its the tune, not the widdle that counts

Gotta put Joe Bonamassa, Joe Satriani, Eric Gales, Randy Rhoads, Zakk Wylde, and Paul Gilbert on my list. Hell I'll even throw in Buckethead just for fun. Oh and John Petrucci.
Last edited by Teksonik on Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

There are many different reasons for a guitarist to be considered great, but my top 10 favourite, in no particular order and subject to change without notice are:

Alex Lifeson
Steve Howe
Syu - of Galneryus
Mikio Fujioka
Shawn Lane
Brian May
David Gilmour
Robert Fripp
Mike Oldfield
Alan Holdsworth

My holy trinity is:

Jimi Hendrix
Dave Gilmour
Mark Knofler

After those, I have no preference.

Just a few off the top of my head...

The three Mikes, of course:
Mike Campbell, team player, impeccable taste.
Mike McCready - has got his Hendrix, his Gilmour, his Page and his Johnny Ramone down pat. Fills Pearl Jam records with memorable solos, and always shines with Yellow Ledbetter.
Mike Oldfield: at times questionable taste, very much in love with the guitar and always puts melody and feeling before technical wizardry. When it's called for, he shreds like a mutha. The triplet solo in Ommadawn, the many unbelievable guitar parts in Amarok. Phew.

Steve Hackett, because of course he's on the list.
Frank Zappa - listen to his solos and imagine him talking (and smoking), and you get it.
Jeff Beck - sooooo fluid! :D

The Johns:
John McLaughlin, who, in the words of Zappa, made his guitar sound like a machine gun.
John Goodsall, of Brand X. Once saw him in concert in a bar in Stuttgart. This guy played arpeggios on a 12-string with a pick, so fast his hand was a f**king blur. It was technically impressive, but also very musical. Unsung hero.

Rory Gallagher - died way too soon.
Stevie Ray Vaughan - ditto.

And this list goes to 11, naturally... another Mike for ya.
Mikael Akerfeld - a metal guitarist with a soft heart, an angelic voice (when he's not doing his Orc imitation), and the capability of making every note count. Fredrik Akesson does the shredding that blows your mind in Opeth, but Mikael breaks your heart and warms your feet.

Can't forget Jeff Beck,and I was gonna mention Zappa, too. Howe, brilliant, but never drew me in. I learned Roundabout many moons ago. Forgot it many moons ago.

Rory Gallagher, Johnny Winter, I've only heard enough to know they 'had it.'
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

I'm still ambivalent about SRV. I tend toward innovators who overthrow the paradigms like Hendrix. SRV, a gifted player who died far too young, wasn't in that category, imo. I've known some pretty wicked blues/Hendrix guitarists who could hang with Stevie.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Not in any order, just depends what mood I am in when I put a CD on.

Tony Bourge [Budgie]
Bernard Sumner [Joy Division]
Neil Young [+ Crazy Horse]
Kenny Burrell [50's+60's period]
David Gilmour [Pink Floyd]

Budgie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VG7e3-jm3UU
Joy Division
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbeNRHtpgOk
Neil Young + Crazy Horse
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04SyevARRcc
Kenny Burrell
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwIcDpLFDfA
Pink Floyd
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J57_TjXq3_c

Eddie Van Halen
Randy Rhoads
John McGeoch
Robert Smith
John 5
David Gilmour
Michael Angelo Batio
Johnny Marr
Ritchie Blackmore
Yngwie J. Malmsteen
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

jamcat wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:08 pm
Robert Smith
Good call. Underrated as a guitarist (people forget he was in the Banshees for a bit) and of course an aficionado of the bass VI as well, which is always to be welcomed. :love:

Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

Joe Walsh... Stephen Stills...

Return to “Guitars”