Beginner - Cubase or Reaper?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Creaper

ralfrobert wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:34 pm On a Mac, I would go Logic.

Another consideration is market share and using it on the job. This is where Pro Tools, Cubase or Live give an advantage to upgrade the own Curriculum Vitae. I mention this because it can be an argument in selecting a DAW.
perhaps can he begins with garageband before LP ?

dupont wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:11 pm
I am on Windows now and have not used Mac in a decade. Is Garageband still free with Mac? It does not hurt to try it. I think we should also define the budget for getting into music production. It may be a good idea to install all the light versions or demos, just try them and see what feels right. I did this and ended up with Reaper and Melda plugins. I have to say that I come from a tech background, so I have no problem with the GUIs and customization.

ralfrobert wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:38 pm
dupont wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:11 pm
I am on Windows now and have not used Mac in a decade. Is Garageband still free with Mac? It does not hurt to try it. I think we should also define the budget for getting into music production. It may be a good idea to install all the light versions or demos, just try them and see what feels right. I did this and ended up with Reaper and Melda plugins. I have to say that I come from a tech background, so I have no problem with the GUIs and customization.
Garageband is still free... it works fine. It is on both Mac and iOS (I use it on iOS) and is a good way to get into music making for a total beginner.

jancivil wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:06 am Is a young person going to be very enthralled by the sort of windows 98 look of REAPER tho
But, but, but, but, but, ... you can customize themes in Reaper, you know. :clown:
Follow me on Youtube for videos on spatial and immersive audio production.

auron wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:11 am Cubase LE or Elements, Studio One Artist or Mixcraft 9.
Mixcraft 9 is dead easy to learn and use. If you want GarageBand on Windows, try this. It's surprisingly powerful.

jjjjjjj
Last edited by codec_spurt on Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

mgw38 wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:49 pm
jancivil wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:06 am Is a young person going to be very enthralled by the sort of windows 98 look of REAPER tho
But, but, but, but, but, ... you can customize themes in Reaper, you know. :clown:
I put frills around the monitor when I used Reaper - much better and I could change the frills anytime I wanted

and yes, they were.. cheap frills

mgw38 wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:49 pm
Reaper Themes: "Fifty shades of Win98" ;)

oh my

collection of Cubase shortkeys with examples, http://soundpeaks.net/blog/cubase-hotkeys-with-examples, if somebody missed and/or beginner
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

xbitz wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:38 am collection of Cubase shortkeys with examples, http://soundpeaks.net/blog/cubase-hotkeys-with-examples, if somebody missed and/or beginner
That's a great site! Been using Cubase since v5 and still learnt a ton of new things.

pbognar wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:47 pm
auron wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:11 am Cubase LE or Elements, Studio One Artist or Mixcraft 9.
Mixcraft 9 is dead easy to learn and use. If you want GarageBand on Windows, try this. It's surprisingly powerful.
Mixcraft is cool! I was using it 10 years ago when I first started producing and found it very easy to get started with compared to all the other DAW's that I was demoing at that time....also I hear Magix Music Maker is aimed at beginners too, but never tried that one though.

I've learnt Cubase this way: downloaded two different Cubase versions (10.x.x,10.5.x) opened them on diff. monitors, one of them contained the project (file) from sonicacademy and dropped the project fragments to the other one (one by one), meantime I've listened to Protoculture comments and played with the newly added plugins(needed a subscription to pluginalliance he uses mainly those ones and some additionally VPS plugins) and with the shortkeys from two posts above

Protoculture's project files contain the bounced versions of the instrument tracks too luckily don't have had to bough UVI Falcon, all the Kontakt libraries etc.
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

Mixcraft Pro Studio 9 is an awesome beginner DAW. You can pick it up for $84 right now. Comes with a lot of plugins and synths to get you going.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”