Wavetable Blowout: Massive X vs Avenger vs Serum vs Icarus vs Pigments...

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

biscuitdough wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:59 pm
spray14 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:53 pm Why doesn't Zebra fit in this list? I always thought it was a WT synth from v1.
Also no Fathom or Phaseplant.
Is it because they are semimodular? I guess thst would make it harder to compare.
James
They've been discussed at length, but OP will only add them to the top post if the little survey is filled out. I guess nobody bothered.
Massive X is the only one on the list that is a closed system... doesn't allow user drawn waves or wavetable import. For that reason I personally consider it only half a wavetable synth.

pdxindy wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:23 pm Massive X is the only one on the list that is a closed system... doesn't allow user drawn waves or wavetable import. For that reason I personally consider it only half a wavetable synth.
Maybe you don't consider it one, but, that doesn't matter really, as being a wavetable synth or not is not defined by being able to import user wavetables.

That said, I definitely hope they implement user wavetables in a future update. The only synth I own which lets you import user wavetables is Synthmaster One, and I don't really like its sound (unfortunately... dev is a good guy :)).

chk071 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:41 pm
pdxindy wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:23 pm Massive X is the only one on the list that is a closed system... doesn't allow user drawn waves or wavetable import. For that reason I personally consider it only half a wavetable synth.
Maybe you don't consider it one, but, that doesn't matter really, as being a wavetable synth or not is not defined by being able to import user wavetables.
What other wavetable synth doesn't have either user drawn waveforms or wavetable import? Seems kinda like a sampler that doesn't import samples.

All the Waldorf synths (before Nave) for example. Coincidentally the synths which made wavetable popular in the first place.

Wavetable import is really no characteristic of wavetable synths in general. It's just something many modern wavetable synths have now. I agree it's useful. It's just not something which defines a wavetable synth.

Massive X still sounds the best to me.

Didn't read the whole thread, but was wondering if anyone else uses and likes Steinberg's Flux wavetable synth? I do.

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques ... x-capacity

chk071 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:41 am All the Waldorf synths (before Nave) for example. Coincidentally the synths which made wavetable popular in the first place.

Wavetable import is really no characteristic of wavetable synths in general. It's just something many modern wavetable synths have now. I agree it's useful. It's just not something which defines a wavetable synth.
Obviously it is a meaningless point in either case... but what wavetable synth made/sold today doesn't have this capability? It is a characteristic of wavetable synths today. No longer any memory issues like in old hardware synths. The PPG synths before being sold could create/import wavetables. My Waldorf Quantum imports waves (including 4096). IIRC, Largo doesn't... or does it? Basically every recent and new synth today does. MX is the runt of the litter. :wink:

perpetual3 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:41 am Massive X still sounds the best to me.
I agree. Massive X kicks the crap out of everything else out there right now. The feature set is amazing, and the awesome modern user experience is the coolest I've ever seen. Inspiring to say the least. Love the routing tab, and the performer also. From Cinematic to EDM, it's all there. My Maschine MK3 makes it a pleasure to browse the libraries. Totally in love with this synth.
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Alienware i7 R3 loaded with billions of DAWS and plugins.

Orbit-50 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:59 am
perpetual3 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:41 am Massive X still sounds the best to me.
I agree. Massive X kicks the crap out of everything else out there right now.
Man, you're not gonna believe who becomes president in 2016.

There are at least a dozen features/improvements that I would like to see in Massive X. Wavetable import doesn't even make it onto the list. Be a boring world if we were all the same.

And now we have a new entry to the Wavetable competition: Vital! :party:

buzz1 wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:04 am There are at least a dozen features/improvements that I would like to see in Massive X. Wavetable import doesn't even make it onto the list. Be a boring world if we were all the same.
Massive X has so many problems and limitations. I don't expect it to ever become a synth I will actually use, but maybe NI will surprise me. Since it is part of Komplete, I'm stuck with it. I do think the comb filter sounds great.

I really would like to hear music of those who can't live without WT import option in synth. They must do original sounds that nobody else ever did. Otherwise it would be a pointless rant if they use WT import just to make sounds that can be done without this feature :ud:

pixel85 wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:23 pm I really would like to hear music of those who can't live without WT import option in synth. They must do original sounds that nobody else ever did. Otherwise it would be a pointless rant if they use WT import just to make sounds that can be done without this feature :ud:
Here... I did this in Vital. For me, one of the main points of wavetable synthesis is I can use/create my own wavetables to do specific things.

https://dandelionaudio.com/sound/Vital-Vocal-1.mp3

pdxindy wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:34 pm
pixel85 wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:23 pm I really would like to hear music of those who can't live without WT import option in synth. They must do original sounds that nobody else ever did. Otherwise it would be a pointless rant if they use WT import just to make sounds that can be done without this feature :ud:
Here... I did this in Vital. For me, one of the main points of wavetable synthesis is I can use/create my own wavetables to do specific things.

https://dandelionaudio.com/sound/Vital-Vocal-1.mp3
Cool sound indeed. I would be too lazy to create my own Wavetables (I don't mean importing 1 sample - that much I can do ;) )

Return to “Instruments”