Solo Violin sample library recommendation

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello -- one of the (many) things on my Black Friday wishlist is a solo violin sample library. I'm looking for some advice on which best fits my use case. Which is this:
  • I will use it only in a pop/rock/folk/americana context, never in scoring or orchestral music - The Frames is a good reference point
  • To the extent possible, I would like the scripting engine to handle the articulations based on how I play -- I'm not very smart about what articulations to use when
  • I don't really need a ton of articulations
  • I would like it to sound like a person is actually bowing the instrument properly
  • I'd like to keep the cost around $50

Here are the products I'm looking at:
  • Embertone Joshua Bell essentials - $50
  • Cinesamples Taylor Davis Violin - $50
  • Red Room audio fiddles (I'm not sure which one, but I'm eyeing the bluegrass fiddle) - $64
Any recommendations? Or other products I should be looking at?

Thanks!

I don't own either of these, but check Bolder Sounds fiddle! V2 and Insanity Samples Folk Fiddle.
Last edited by Mr Arkadin on Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The approach of eg., Joshua Bell library is pretty durn far from a fiddle. It's for a hyper-romantic (Romantic Period in classical music) solo virtuoso kind of thing and is very much located in orchestral and film score application, a really specific aesthetic there.

I think the best on is this: https://www.virharmonic.com/bohemian_violin

yeah, ditto virharmonic bohemian. simply spectacular.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

Maybe not a popular choice and also to an extent quite limited. But I often reach for the Berlin First Chairs Kontakt library when I'm doing violin mockups. One of the biggest issues I have is delayed attack times on legato (I really need my stuff locked to the grid) and First Chairs has minimal instances of this.

Everged wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:28 pm Maybe not a popular choice and also to an extent quite limited. But I often reach for the Berlin First Chairs Kontakt library when I'm doing violin mockups. One of the biggest issues I have is delayed attack times on legato (I really need my stuff locked to the grid) and First Chairs has minimal instances of this.
I don't think that really meets the OP's requirements.

Vienna Symphonic Library has some good solo strings.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”