Obxd synthesizer

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
OB-Xd - Virtual Analog Synthesizer

Edited
Last edited by Vortifex on Sun Apr 16, 2023 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chk071 wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:50 am
e-crooner wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:09 am I know, and I'm not talking about a multi-FX section, but merely a chorus, Roland Juno type, with two delay lines. There is something classic about a chorus and it only takes a single knob on the GUI (off at zero, and then increasing rate, depth, mix).
As most standalone fx's are better than the built in ones anyway, why not just use an external chorus? As Teksonik wrote, just use TAL-Chorus-LX, and that'll be better than most built in chorus fx anyway.
Well, I like built-in effects because I can save all of it as one pan-DAW patch and don't have to use DAW racks.
And quite frankly, a flanger and even more so a chorus is not exactly rocket science. I understand that synth developers often don't have the knowledge to program good reverbs, though, that's ok.

Oh I agree. I like having built in FX that become part of a synth's patch. Like you said that way you can use that patch in any DAW without having to resort to templates.

Then if I end up using that patch in a project I can swap out the effects if I feel third party alternatives will be better or simply use the patch as it was programmed.

But it doesn't look like Obxd will get built in FX which is why I think making a list of freeware FX that will go well with it might be useful.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

e-crooner wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:34 pm
chk071 wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:50 am
e-crooner wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:09 am I know, and I'm not talking about a multi-FX section, but merely a chorus, Roland Juno type, with two delay lines. There is something classic about a chorus and it only takes a single knob on the GUI (off at zero, and then increasing rate, depth, mix).
As most standalone fx's are better than the built in ones anyway, why not just use an external chorus? As Teksonik wrote, just use TAL-Chorus-LX, and that'll be better than most built in chorus fx anyway.
Well, I like built-in effects because I can save all of it as one pan-DAW patch and don't have to use DAW racks.
And quite frankly, a flanger and even more so a chorus is not exactly rocket science. I understand that synth developers often don't have the knowledge to program good reverbs, though, that's ok.
It may seem so, but, I have yet to hear the flanger, chrous, phaser, whatever, which is built into the synth which can compete with really good external fx's. Especially phasers, wow, they all sound so completely different from each other, and many so sound like shit.

I won't say that there will never be a soft synth which comes with good built in fx (Spire is very good in that regard), but, most simply don't. So, personally, I'd much rather use external fx than the built in ones. You can save those combinations as track templates as well in most DAW's.

Teksonik wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:49 pm Oh I agree. I like having built in FX that become part of a synth's patch. Like you said that way you can use that patch in any DAW without having to resort to templates.

Then if I end up using that patch in a project I can swap out the effects if I feel third party alternatives will be better or simply use the patch as it was programmed.

But it doesn't look like Obxd will get built in FX which is why I think making a list of freeware FX that will go well with it might be useful.

It is not freeware, but almost: Module by Toneboosters, part of their old Track Essentials suite, which is 29 euros for 8 effects :hihi:
Module requires some fiddling and experimenting, but due to all its parameters it is very flexible and also does dense choruses like the Tal and beyond :)

chk071 wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:51 pm It may seem so, but, I have yet to hear the flanger, chrous, phaser, whatever, which is built into the synth which can compete with really good external fx's. Especially phasers, wow, they all sound so completely different from each other, and many so sound like shit.

I won't say that there will never be a soft synth which comes with good built in fx (Spire is very good in that regard), but, most simply don't. So, personally, I'd much rather use external fx than the built in ones. You can save those combinations as track templates as well in most DAW's.
Well, I don't expect built-in effects to sound like dedicated high-end effects, but in many cases they are good enough if the effect is to be part of the sound design, not the mixing.

I have posted a little audio file in my off-topic thread for such cases:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=555315

For outboard FX with an easy to save effects chain that can be used cross-DAW, take a look at MixBox by IK Multimedia.

https://soundbytesmag.net/review-mixbox ... ultimedia/

Crossgrade is $149 with promo code "MIXB50" https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/mixbox/

Covers just about everything with 70 processors and effects:
  • Amp: American Vintage T, British Tube Lead, Cabinet, Flexi Amp, Jazz Amp 120, Modern Tube Lead, Preamp, SVT Classic, Tone Control.

Channel-Strip/EQ: Channel Strip, EQ 81, EQ Comp.

Delay: Digital Delay, Reverb Delay, Tape Echo.

Distortion: Crusher, Distortion, Lo-Fi, Overdrive, Overscream.

Dynamics: Black 76, Bus Compressor, Compressor, De-Esser, Limiter, Model 670, White 2A.

EQ: British EQ, EQ PG, Parametric EQ, Vintage EQ-1A.

Filter: Env Filter, Filter Formant, Filter Phaser, Filter-C, Filter-M, Filter-O, Filter-R, LFO Filter, Multi Filter, Wah 47.

Modulation: AM Modulator, AutoPan, Chorus, Chorus C1, Electric Flanger, Ensemble, Env Flanger, Flanger, FM Modulator, Multi Chorus, Opto Tremolo, Phaser, Rotary Speaker, Slicer, Small Phazer, Tremolo, Uni-V.

Reverb: Ambience, ConvoRoom, Digital Reverb, Hall Reverb, Inverse Reverb, Plate Reverb, Room Reverb, Spring Reverb, Stereo Imager.

Saturation: Phonograph, Saturator-X, Tape Cassette. Amp: American Vintage T, British Tube Lead, Cabinet, Flexi Amp, Jazz Amp 120, Modern Tube Lead, Preamp, SVT Classic, Tone Control.
Windows 10 and too many plugins

chk071 wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:51 pmIt may seem so, but, I have yet to hear the flanger, chrous, phaser, whatever, which is built into the synth which can compete with really good external fx's.
Omnisphere. Falcon. Massive X. :D

New nightly builds for Windows and macOS.
  • Universal 2 Binary for M1 Apple Silicon Macs.
  • Updated framework (JUCE 6).
  • Updated VST3 SDK.
  • ASIO works again.
https://www.discodsp.net/obxd-nightly/

zzz00m wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:34 pm For outboard FX with an easy to save effects chain that can be used cross-DAW, take a look at MixBox by IK Multimedia.

https://soundbytesmag.net/review-mixbox ... ultimedia/

Crossgrade is $149 with promo code "MIXB50" https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/mixbox/

Covers just about everything with 70 processors and effects:
  • Amp: American Vintage T, British Tube Lead, Cabinet, Flexi Amp, Jazz Amp 120, Modern Tube Lead, Preamp, SVT Classic, Tone Control.

Channel-Strip/EQ: Channel Strip, EQ 81, EQ Comp.

Delay: Digital Delay, Reverb Delay, Tape Echo.

Distortion: Crusher, Distortion, Lo-Fi, Overdrive, Overscream.

Dynamics: Black 76, Bus Compressor, Compressor, De-Esser, Limiter, Model 670, White 2A.

EQ: British EQ, EQ PG, Parametric EQ, Vintage EQ-1A.

Filter: Env Filter, Filter Formant, Filter Phaser, Filter-C, Filter-M, Filter-O, Filter-R, LFO Filter, Multi Filter, Wah 47.

Modulation: AM Modulator, AutoPan, Chorus, Chorus C1, Electric Flanger, Ensemble, Env Flanger, Flanger, FM Modulator, Multi Chorus, Opto Tremolo, Phaser, Rotary Speaker, Slicer, Small Phazer, Tremolo, Uni-V.

Reverb: Ambience, ConvoRoom, Digital Reverb, Hall Reverb, Inverse Reverb, Plate Reverb, Room Reverb, Spring Reverb, Stereo Imager.

Saturation: Phonograph, Saturator-X, Tape Cassette. Amp: American Vintage T, British Tube Lead, Cabinet, Flexi Amp, Jazz Amp 120, Modern Tube Lead, Preamp, SVT Classic, Tone Control.
That sounds like total overkill for most people, in terms of both plugins and price.

e-crooner wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:22 pm
That sounds like total overkill for most people, in terms of both plugins and price.
It's not actually overkill until you max it out with T-RackS Max, and Amplitube Max, with Total Studio Max as I did! :D

I wouldn’t mind a decent chorus, delay and reverb added to OB-XD but I’d rather have no effects than bad effects. And really good effects are hard to do.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:16 pm I wouldn’t mind a decent chorus, delay and reverb added to OB-XD but I’d rather have no effects than bad effects. And really good effects are hard to do.
And I think there is a line that would potentially be crossed by putting things in an emulation that were not part of the original hardware. Back in the old days they had to insert rack effects or guitar stomp boxes to spice up keyboards.

zzz00m wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:35 am
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:16 pm I wouldn’t mind a decent chorus, delay and reverb added to OB-XD but I’d rather have no effects than bad effects. And really good effects are hard to do.
And I think there is a line that would potentially be crossed by putting things in an emulation that were not part of the original hardware. Back in the old days they had to insert rack effects or guitar stomp boxes to spice up keyboards.
Back in the old days? I just bought more stompboxes to use exclusively on my hardware synths. ;)

I don't mind getting my hands dirty and kicking it old school, but I also don't mind having good effects built into a softsynth for convenience.

I forgot to mention macOS deployment target has been set to 10.9 instead 10.11 for 2.2 nightly builds.

Return to “Instruments”