VPS Avenger new license system is a complete mystery

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Cataclysm - Avenger Expansion VPS Avenger

I find the preset browsing also very..."old" in Avenger. And now all this with 90days hustle... I mean, when I was going through the presets in Avenger demo, the whole synth suddenly felt very cheap/old (in modern synths you just go smoothly down/up to the next sound, no need for double clicks). Well, this was something I still could live with. But then I found out about this 90days stuff... Oh my :/ Have to say quite dissapointed.

I find Avenger's preset browser surprisingly limiting/clumsy to work with....(Rapid to me is surprisingly even worse).
Why surprisingly? Both products boast developers who are renowned for their sound design presets and expansions are a big part of their eco system..
You would think that Preset Browsing would play a higher priority in design. Like in Nexus 3 which though limited in terms of user preset creation also has Expansions as a large part of their ecosystem.
rsp
sound sculptist

zvenx wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 4:39 pm I find Avenger's preset browser surprisingly limiting/clumsy to work with....(Rapid to me is surprisingly even worse).
Why surprisingly? Both products boast developers who are renowned for their sound design presets and expansions are a big part of their eco system..
You would think that Preset Browsing would play a higher priority in design. Like in Nexus 3 which though limited in terms of user preset creation also has Expansions as a large part of their ecosystem.
rsp
Yes! I find it so strange that these expensive synths have so clumsy browser, when cheaper (or even FREE) synths have very smooth browser system. Viper is interesting mix: the browser itself is smooth, but then there is the selection between 4 different factory sound banks you need to select (this part is quite old). Sylenth1 is also one with "not so good" browser (and once again very popular synth with high price tag).

Tannaliini wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 5:47 pm
zvenx wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 4:39 pm I find Avenger's preset browser surprisingly limiting/clumsy to work with....(Rapid to me is surprisingly even worse).
rsp
Yes! I find it so strange that these expensive synths have so clumsy browser, when cheaper (or even FREE) synths have very smooth browser system. Viper is interesting mix: the browser itself is smooth, but then there is the selection between 4 different factory sound banks you need to select (this part is quite old). Sylenth1 is also one with "not so good" browser (and once again very popular synth with high price tag).
Can you name some browsers that you think are really good? I'm curious to compare. I never thought of Avenger as a bad browser, but would like to compare...

I assume the question was to him... but my answer would be any u-he browser, omnisphere 2, pigments, Synthmaster are some of mine....
rsp
sound sculptist

zvenx wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 4:39 pm Can you name some browsers that you think are really good? I'm curious to compare. I never thought of Avenger as a bad browser, but would like to compare...
Flex (FL studio) is pretty good, Pigments2, Ana2, Serum, Vaporizer2 is ok also (but it has other issues), Sektor has very nice browser system. But maybe Ana2 + Pigments2 have the best so far what I've tested.

Thing is most of these devs that have xp with sound design programming have very poor gui/ui/ux skills... Most I have used have poor sound, preset and fav browsing, searching, flagging, etc capabilities and lack responsive intuitive ui design... Much of Native Instruments for example... Even shows in the DAWs.

RE: Avenger activation
Ye it is annoying, i ended up here googling what the hell cmmanager license was and what the hell was expiring. Ran that v-manager thing and it crashed it lol... Worked 2nd time... Very disappointed that I can't take the software with me after 3 pc rebuilds or hardware changes, I'm guessing cpu id / hardware id matching going on for security keys. Don't see Adobe doing that. But I have been rendering everything I do with it down on final project save to prep for that bs when it becomes an issue.
Web Developer by day, DAW tinkerer by night...

I too am now looking to buy Avenger, or Pigments, or Falcon, or Msoundfactory - strong granular, and potentially highly modular for other uses (I’m happy to “settle” for Pigments’ great granular interface and “settle” for Image-Line Patcher for modularity, in case my 2nd paragraph is answered with “no”). Problem is, this thread. Is it still this bad, or has 1.6 offered up some relief to CP software / interactions with it?

Slightly off-topic... my apologies, but while I’m here: is Avenger capable of per-grain envelope shaping and pitch quantization? The Mangle provides rather deep envelope control and pitch quantization; Pigments to a strong degree, and I feel that Avenger should be able to as well - is it?

E_Anderson wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:33 pm I too am now looking to buy Avenger, or Pigments, or Falcon, or Msoundfactory - strong granular, and potentially highly modular for other uses (I’m happy to “settle” for Pigments’ great granular interface and “settle” for Image-Line Patcher for modularity, in case my 2nd paragraph is answered with “no”). Problem is, this thread. Is it still this bad, or has 1.6 offered up some relief to CP software / interactions with it?

Slightly off-topic... my apologies, but while I’m here: is Avenger capable of per-grain envelope shaping and pitch quantization? The Mangle provides rather deep envelope control and pitch quantization; Pigments to a strong degree, and I feel that Avenger should be able to as well - is it?
Did you try Rapid / did you look Rapid functions?

MegaPixel wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:26 am .. Very disappointed that I can't take the software with me after 3 pc rebuilds or hardware changes, I'm guessing cpu id / hardware id matching going on for security keys. Don't see Adobe doing that. But I have been rendering everything I do with it down on final project save to prep for that bs when it becomes an issue.
I don't think that's the case. You can activate your licenses AT THE SAME TIME on 3 cmcontainers. But you can also deactivate these.
So after you deactivated the license, you can activate it on another machine. Of course, i'm not 100% sure. There's a facebook group for avenger for any question..

E_Anderson wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:33 pm I too am now looking to buy Avenger, or Pigments, or Falcon, or Msoundfactory - strong granular, and potentially highly modular for other uses (I’m happy to “settle” for Pigments’ great granular interface and “settle” for Image-Line Patcher for modularity, in case my 2nd paragraph is answered with “no”). Problem is, this thread. Is it still this bad, or has 1.6 offered up some relief to CP software / interactions with it?
As far as I know, Avenger still uses Codemeter. I will never install Codemeter on my computer, so have stopped using Avenger on new projects (and will not purchase from VPS again). However, it is clear that there are people that are happy (or at least OK) with Codemeter, so it's hard to know from the outside what your experience will be.

why do they do everything so complicated to people?

SoundHunterrr wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:48 pm Did you try Rapid / did you look Rapid functions?
I did, yes, thank you. It seems like a very solid contender for my needs. Between Pigments and Rapid I am leaning towards Pigments. I think its granular engine seems to be a bit more powerful, as wonderful as they’ve both been to work with.

It just comes down to the increased control over pitch quantization Pigments provides (Rapid afaik only provides the detune knob which quantizes to Octaves at maximum -- which is laregly what I'll be using, luckily, but not eeevery time, and I want to budget for every time if I can) as well as the increased control over grain envelope shapes. That said, if Rapid goes on sale and I'm unable to find a good deal for Pigments, and I find that Avenger indeed cannot do the same level of per-grain control as I am wanting, then I may indeed pick up Rapid. It looks very solid, definitely one of the top for me (in fact I may as well have put it on my list, as it is the very next-in-line contender).

If anyone has any impassioned words to say about directing me instead towards one of the more monster-synths like Falcon/Msoundfactory, please fire away. I am doing a little bit of research tonight on exactly these parameters I’m concerned about (for making grain clouds to my liking: max # of grains, per-grain pitch quantization, envelope shaping options [Really, how is The Mangle so good about these parameters, and so many of these tremendous synths just give you preset shapes and poor pitch quantization?! Shown up by an oldish dead plugin from a missing dev???])

All this being said, I think I will make my own thread. I'll read any answers from here, but I won't derail the topic any more. I am, too, wondering to see what people are saying _right now_ about Codemeter and Avenger's interaction with it, as well as in the 1.6 update thread.

SoundHunterrr wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:48 pm Did you try Rapid / did you look Rapid functions?
I’m a little embarrassed. I started thinking how I could go about doing pitch quantizing without a pitch quantizing ez button, and you know, with 24 or 8 possible oscs, you can do a lot of “pitch quantizing” by just, wow lol, layering intervals, even at varying densities... Not only this, I completely overlooked the morph parameter in Rapid... :party: :clap:

Not to mention, I made a rather fatal assumption about Pigments’ multiple samples per engine: looks like they can only be played separately.

I may just own Rapid come sale season. Not supporting drag+drop for sample import is a little bit of a downer (made less problematic if oscillators/layers can be copied swiftly, something to test later today), but I don’t have much else to ask for; custom modulation like Function modulations or Rapid’s “inferior effects” compared to Falcon’s won’t matter as I am doing all of that in the DAW, I just need a really good granular instrument. Rapid seems monstrously capable on that front with great parameter controls and 24 freaking oscillators.

MSF is no-go for me, trial was interesting but not what I’m after, so the only thing left to do besides continue fiddling with the Rapid/Avenger trials is looking more closely at Falcon.

oh the joy of loading Avenger and being presented with a "no license found" pop-up even though you've been using it on this system for the past two years. joy joy joy.

about ready to sell this motherf***** and be done with it. NO other synth I own is this complicated to keep active & working.

Return to “Instruments”