Roli: Equator 2 is here !

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Bitwig Studio 5

goodplayer wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:11 pm I am still not sure how I would be able use it effectively and mainly to loop my imported wav file samples. Does someone really know what's the deal?
[nx] wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:25 pm I almost bought this but the sample import seems way to simple and I cant find any info on it
The sampler and its features are a work in progress. There is more to come! Stay tuned...
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

Ahh Got ya.
Really surprised how much wide a scope of sounds are being covered here and (not that surprised cause I know your work ethic) of how really expressive many of the patches are.
rsp
sound sculptist

I am also hoping a Right Click Midi Learn is in the stay tuned :).
As my Default NI KK 61 Knobs are not mapped alas to the Eq2 Macro Default knobs.
rsp
sound sculptist

Thanks for the compliment Richard.

When checking the presets, try the new (previously not available in v1) Combination instrument category and if you need something outlandish try the Textures, most take the Granular engine and beam it through a portal into another galaxy. :D

enCiphered wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:15 am I need some help please. You can buy Equator 2 at a discounted price if you own Cypher 2, according to Roli. I own Cypher2 but have registered the serial at FXpansion. The upgrade discount for Equator is not displayed when I click on buy because my license for Cypher 2 is not in my Roli account. If I try to register the serial at Roli I always get an error the license is not valid.
I don´t know how to fix that, any help is much appreciated!
You can also buy the upgrade at Plugin Boutique:

https://www.pluginboutique.com/products/7090

which gives you £3.70 (about $4.95) back in "virtual cash" (can only be spent at Plugin Boutique though), and 1.4 "rewards points" which is enough for a free sample pack (from their list of selections, which changes periodically---doesn't have to be chosen immediately).

[Edit: forgot to add, "choice of Eventide Quadravox, D16 Group Drumazon, Mastering the Mix ANIMATE or Reason Rack Plugin Pack" also free with purchase until November 30th.]
Last edited by Ou_Tis on Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

himalaya wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:18 pm Thanks for the compliment Richard.

When checking the presets, try the new (previously not available in v1) Combination instrument category and if you need something outlandish try the Textures, most take the Granular engine and beam it through a portal into another galaxy. :D
Will look out for those.
I am doing what I had said to you before, I am going thru them alphabetically and favouriting the ones that immediately catch my ear. (yes yes I remember your views on that :))
Will definitely look out for those, I think I found some in A already :)
rsp
sound sculptist

himalaya wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:09 pm
goodplayer wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:11 pm I am still not sure how I would be able use it effectively and mainly to loop my imported wav file samples. Does someone really know what's the deal?
[nx] wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:25 pm I almost bought this but the sample import seems way to simple and I cant find any info on it
The sampler and its features are a work in progress. There is more to come! Stay tuned...
Thanks for the positive update. That really makes my day, Himalaya. I really appreciate that there is someone like you responding so quickly.

I realize Roli must have their hands full currently with higher priority items to be dealt with first.

Not trying to be impatient however I would appreciate immensely if by any chance you know:
1. Any idea of related time frame or ballpark on wav file loops & options?
2. Any chance of SFZ import option also making it through?
System: Win10 Pro, Asus 2-in-1, Seaboard 49, Bitwig 3, Pro Tools, Babyface

I’m afraid that I can’t really talk about time frames and exactly what features are in the works. But rest assured, updates are planned.

SFZ import works the same as in v1, just throw it into Equator 2 user sample directory and restart Equator 2. Caveat: If the wavs contain embedded sustain loops, v2 may sometimes fail to read those, resulting into some keys within an otherwise working sample set play unlooped.
The workaround for now is to write loop start and end opcodes into the sfz instead of relying on the embedded cues.
Hope this will be fixed soon, as it can be very laborious to do that. And I’d love to get rid of the forced restart, of course.

For me this was an insta-buy and I don’t regret in the slightest, I’m having heaps of fun. My favourite (versatility of sound sources aside) is how tweaking modulation assignments has become so much neater. You can right-click a source to get to know and change all targets, transfer curves and strengths. You can also add or delete assignments from here. And the same vice versa, right click any target to see all source assignments and their parameters. This alone is such an improvement for design purposes, gotta love it.

There are a few regressions from v1 though, which I hope will be addressed soon.

First - and this is acknowledged and promised - you can’t at the moment type in values. Worked in v1 and is even mentioned in v2 manual, but it just doesn’t happen yet.

Second, you can’t use additional MIDI CC as separate modulation sources. There’s mod wheel, but it seems to work only in standard mode and is tied to whatever is bound to slide in MPE mode. In v1 you could at least declare 3 extra CC sources as macro knobs, so there were 8 macro slots. V2 has only 5 of them. This one is really a bummer to me, lots of my v1 user presets used those extra sources.

Third, v1 would tell you the name of a missing sample, v2 doesn’t. Also v1 gave you a warning symbol in the sample list if something went wrong on import - eg something wasn’t understood in an sfz file. V2 doesn’t, it just won’t play any sound or miss an incognito waveform.

Fourth, v1 had an indication about which of the 4 possible curves of the MPE modulation sources is assigned to a target (it would be lit in that little 2x2 thingy). That was very helpful with complex modulation routings. I miss it in v2.

I really hope they plan on bringing these features over into v2, as they were all useful and would fit into v2 like gloves.
Of course I have a bunch of other ideas to improve the handling even further, but all in all, they nailed such a lot. While the feature set has become more complex, handling as a whole got even easier than v1, that’s something to say!

Item #1 on my big wish list in terms of engine features: MPE enabled FX. One can dream.

EDIT: I accidentally typed in “4x4 thingie”. I meant these little 4 squares indicating the 4 possible modulation curves per dimension. It’s 2x2, obviously... Changed that.
Last edited by gofer on Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Equator2 was mostly re-written from ground up so a few features that you saw in Equator1 are missing for now, but hopefully not for long.
gofer wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:20 am Item #1 on my big wish list in terms of engine features: MPE enabled FX. One can dream.
The effects can be modulated with the MPE mod sources. But as previously, this modulation is not polyphonic. Polyphonic modulation of effects would significantly rise the CPU. It would likely make presets unplayable. We already have to be careful when using all 6 sources with a mix of granular, wavetable FM and MPE modulation....a patch like this can be very CPU heavy, so if you get into a situation when a complex patch melts your CPU my tip is to lower the polyphony setting (GLOBAL tab). The default polyphony is set to 16 voices, and very often, in complex patches we can easily use 10 or even 8 voices, which can really lower the CPU consumption.

11 days after submitting a sales request for partial refund due to error (ordering full launch price instead of upgrade from Strobe 2, 14 days ago), I still have no news from Roli, despite the Dan@Roli supposed help. What kind of company is this ? Ticket#123766
EDIT : got an email from Roli saying I was refund as I was entitled to. Just waiting now for actual refund on my bank account.
Last edited by p1afff on Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Philippe

@p1afff we are addressing your refund now.
Sorry for the delay!

DanROLI wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:36 pm @p1afff we are addressing your refund now.
Sorry for the delay!
Yes, I edited my message to display the new status. Thanks.
Philippe

DJErmac wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:46 pm
DanROLI wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:03 pm Hello. My name is Dan. I work at ROLI. I can confirm for you that we do not accept Paypal. I'm very sorry for any inconvenience this may cause. This graphic that shows that we accept Paypal is currently in the queue to be updated.
OK thank you very much for answering.
Hi, FYI, we will soon be accepting Paypal again for payments on Roli.com and playlumi.com!

gofer wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:20 am Item #1 on my big wish list in terms of engine features: MPE enabled FX. One can dream.
Omnisphere. ;)

Return to “Instruments”