Vember Audio Surge is now open-source

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Surge XT The Sonic Transformation

Its so typical for Cubase. :(
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Owner of the FB site of Audioterm

Yeah, we have another person who got annoyed by that, and he happened to also be a cross-platform developer, and also owns C11 (we don't), so he will be debugging it and with luck also fixing for v1.8 (which is due mid-January). :)
Danilo Villanova wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:52 pm Any user-made skins for Surge yet?
Wait for official 1.8 release :)

Cool

EvilDragon wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:23 pm Yeah, we have another person who got annoyed by that, and he happened to also be a cross-platform developer, and also owns C11 (we don't), so he will be debugging it and with luck also fixing for v1.8 (which is due mid-January). :)
Danilo Villanova wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:52 pm Any user-made skins for Surge yet?
Noice!

PietW. wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:31 pm Its so typical for Cubase. :(
This should be fixed now in the latest nightly!

After my demos that are a somewhat "out there", here is something more "traditional" :hihi:

https://soundcloud.com/user-589036812-2 ... -1-x-surge

Aaaaaand something more strange again :hihi:

https://soundcloud.com/user-589036812-2 ... -1-x-surge

EvilDragon wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:23 pm
Does the smiley suggest, that we'll see a complete rework of the skin? :) And will it be possible to restructure the UI, similar to u-he's skinning scripts?

BTW: I've downloaded the latest nightly. The new filters and the MSEG editor are fantastic additions :clap: I didnt expect so many improvements :o I wish Hive had an MSEG editor like that. Selecting multiple anchors with a selection frame would be nice. Behavior/usability is on par with Serum MSEG's, i'd say. Great job!

Soundwise still the best free wavetable synth. Keep it up :tu: :clap:

Not a complete rework, but a new coat of paint, both dark and classic skins updated, and if all goes well a secret third skin done by a quite well-known UI designer :)

Skin engine in 1.8 will be able to restructure an awful lot of the UI, with the exception of the FX sliders section (we will work on that for 1.9), and the MSEG editor.

We intend to improve on the skin engine even more for 1.9, adding tabs (will be required in order to be able to fully skin the FX section however we want), and certain planned features will definitely require a complete redesign of the layout. However the main trait of Surge - to have everything important on one page - is still paramount.
audiot wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:06 pmBTW: I've downloaded the latest nightly. The new filters and the MSEG editor are fantastic additions :clap: I didnt expect so many improvements :o I wish Hive had an MSEG editor like that. Selecting multiple anchors with a selection frame would be nice. Behavior/usability is on par with Serum MSEG's, i'd say. Great job!
Thanks! We have actually went and investigated a number of synths that have MSEGs, discussed their pros and cons (we actually have UI/UX/HCI guys on the team!), and cherry-picked best features from them, in what we think is going to be one of nicest-to-use MSEGs out there. In my humble, biased opinion, I think we knocked the socks of Serum's not-quite-a-full-MSEG (it's more a custom LFO shape than anything) ;)

(Node multi-selection won't be in 1.8, but we have that jotted down for 1.9!)
Last edited by EvilDragon on Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Very good work. Thanks!

EvilDragon wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:22 pm Not a complete rework, but a new coat of paint, both dark and classic skins updated, and if all goes well a secret third skin done by a quite well known UI designer :)

Skin engine in 1.8 will be able to restructure an awful lot of the UI, with the exception of the FX sliders section (we will work on that for 1.9), and the MSEG editor.

We intend to improve on the skin engine even more for 1.9, adding tabs (will be required in order to be able to fully skin the FX section however we want), and certain planned features will definitely require a complete redesign of the layout. However the main trait of Surge - to have everything important on one page - is still paramount.
audiot wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:06 pmBTW: I've downloaded the latest nightly. The new filters and the MSEG editor are fantastic additions :clap: I didnt expect so many improvements :o I wish Hive had an MSEG editor like that. Selecting multiple anchors with a selection frame would be nice. Behavior/usability is on par with Serum MSEG's, i'd say. Great job!
Thanks! We have actually went and investigated a number of synths that have MSEGs, discussed their pros and cons (we actually have UI/UX/HCI guys on the team!), and cherry-picked best features from them, in what we think is going to be one of nicest-to-use MSEGs out there. In my humble, biased opinion, I think we knocked the socks of Serum's not-quite-a-full-MSEG (it's more a custom LFO shape than anything) ;)

(Node multi-selection won't be in 1.8, but we have that jotted down for 1.9!)

All i can say is that i'm super exited for further changes :hyper:

When the major tweaks are done, i can imagine doing a skin for Surge. I made a skin for TyrellN6 called Plastic Skin, which seems to be quite popular, due to Googles image search (sometimes my skin is the first match and sometimes plugmons excellent skin, when you google "tyrell skin" ... at least in my area). Havent done a lot for the open communites this year, but maybe next year :)

You're welcome to join on our Discord server, the skin engine that is in the nightlies is entirely usable and you can already do a solid lot with it. :) The documentation is not fully completed yet, but we can help you along the way.

EvilDragon wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:16 pm You're welcome to join on our Discord server, the skin engine that is in the nightlies is entirely usable and you can already do a solid lot with it. :) The documentation is not fully completed yet, but we can help you along the way.
Great! I'll look into docs within the next days. I have a lot of other stuff to do at the moment, but i'm seeing a lot of potential with the latest improvements. So yeah ... would be a pleasure :tu:

Like EvilDragon said, if you have any questions, feel free to join the Discord server :)

Return to “Instruments”