So This Whole AMD/Ryzen Thing Really Kind Of Sucks So Far...

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Heard back from Behringer today on the X-Touch One incompatibility. They said they're aware of the issue, have forwarded it to their developers, but there's no fix right now other than "use a PCIe USB card."

So at this stage have you sorted all of the Ryzen issues except the Behringer controller to your satisfaction or are you still having some concerns?

I use AMD since Athlon 600 on about 90% of DIY builds. Don't blame AMD. Their CPU and chipsets are good. Motherboard manufacturers who do not follow the reference design can easily screw things up. This is main reason I stopped using ASUS - boatload of useless bells and whistles.
What I read from your complains has nothing to do with Ryzen or X570. Firewire is a known hell for decade. USB 3 standard has too many updates/versions, as a result there are chip implementations based on not final drafts, etc. Same as recent Wifi universe. Too many standards changing too fast cause component incompatibility.

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
Just an FYI that you can use the LAN port on the X-Touch as I have been using this in Reaper and Mixbus successfully to bypass the USB issue. Just use this RTP Midi to set it up. https://www.tobias-erichsen.de/software/rtpmidi.html (https://www.tobias-erichsen.de/software/rtpmidi.html)

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
https://community.musictribe.com/pages/ ... =Behringer (https://community.musictribe.com/pages/kba?articleId=30a5fed7-01f4-ea11-a815-000d3ac693d8&brand=Behringer)

VladK wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:35 am I use AMD since Athlon 600 on about 90% of DIY builds. Don't blame AMD. Their CPU and chipsets are good. Motherboard manufacturers who do not follow the reference design can easily screw things up. This is main reason I stopped using ASUS - boatload of useless bells and whistles.
What I read from your complains has nothing to do with Ryzen or X570. Firewire is a known hell for decade. USB 3 standard has too many updates/versions, as a result there are chip implementations based on not final drafts, etc. Same as recent Wifi universe. Too many standards changing too fast cause component incompatibility.
Who's making the most reliable motherboard now? I think I've always had Gigabyte when I've had anything other than OEM.

biscuitdough wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:18 pm
VladK wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:35 am I use AMD since Athlon 600 on about 90% of DIY builds. Don't blame AMD. Their CPU and chipsets are good. Motherboard manufacturers who do not follow the reference design can easily screw things up. This is main reason I stopped using ASUS - boatload of useless bells and whistles.
Who's making the most reliable motherboard now? I think I've always had Gigabyte when I've had anything other than OEM.
I’ve had my Ryzen running on an MSI x470 Gaming Plus for a couple of years now with no issues. I’ve heard pretty good things about MSI in general.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

I currently have Gigabyte under Intel CPU. It's absolute rubbish :D Even restart (withot updates or any changes) can find*** up everything completely. Yesterday apparently restart caused Win10 death but several restarts and somehow everything was fine again...
People are saying that Gigabyte is great but I'll never touch again anything from this company.
Another highly positive vote is for MSI x570 Tomahawk (I was close to buy it) but then I googled it +"issue"... Oh man, literature for years :D
My previous MB was Asus. No problems at all. So today new Asus MB arrived for my new AMD build. Hopefully it will not be complete crap.

I don't know what's going on. Today even stupid pendrive can brick premium MB.

Supermicro Ryzen stuff should be really good once it arrives. Their EPYC boards are really good and groundwork toward this.

I don't know if these have anything to do on the original problem, but in case people have problems.

I bought my first Ryzen system on the summer. Ever since and then, I got audio pop ups and crackles with my firewire Saffire soundcard. I tried everything, and then I found LatecyMon program. It showed me that my Nvidia 3080 was causing huge spikes (very common for Nvidia drivers), which cause audio pop ups. So, I sold it and bought Radeon 6800. Now my latencies are much, much better, no more spikes. However, I still got random pop ups and crackles. Then I found out that first, you need to set your power plan maximum performance and then, if you use firewire interface, you need to use the legacy driver for it. After doing this, no more crackles or audio pop ups, and even the latency is even lower now. It's superb now.

So, if you use Ryzen or Win 10 to make music and you have latency problems.

1. Change your Nvidia card to Radeon. Radeon is much better for music production than Nvidia, you can google it out.
2. Change the power plan in power settings to maximum performance
3. Update your firewire driver to legacy driver.

Links here:

Legacy driver: https://www.startech.com/en-us/faq/fire ... river-swap
LatecyMon: https://www.resplendence.com/latencymon

In generally, I recommend people to try out this Latecymon and see, if you have unwanted spikes and what cause it.

... your Graphics card was causing underruns??

Debutante wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:47 am ... your Graphics card was causing underruns??
Yes. nvlddmkm.sys. Just google out "nvlddmkm.sys latency". It's very, very common problem. Nvidia sucks on audio production.

This is mine, not that bad, I had much worst, but this one was the only screenshot I had left. Already sold my Nvidia card :)

Power and performance settings are audio production 101.

I still subscribe to the view that bleeding edge hardware is only ideal for gaming, and tends to lack software support in other applications. The build I'm looking at is Ryzen 2600 (and RX 580, not that the graphics are a huge part of audio production).

I guess you have to read reviews for the specific model you're looking at. It seems like Gigabyte has some great products and some total dogs, and I doubt they're the only manufacturer that's like that.

pixel85 wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:58 pm
I currently have Gigabyte under Intel CPU. It's absolute rubbish :D Even restart (withot updates or any changes) can find*** up everything completely. Yesterday apparently restart caused Win10 death but several restarts and somehow everything was fine again...
People are saying that Gigabyte is great but I'll never touch again anything from this company.
Another highly positive vote is for MSI x570 Tomahawk (I was close to buy it) but then I googled it +"issue"... Oh man, literature for years :D
My previous MB was Asus. No problems at all. So today new Asus MB arrived for my new AMD build. Hopefully it will not be complete crap.

I don't know what's going on. Today even stupid pendrive can brick premium MB.
Good luck. I only buy Gigabyte motherboards and have never had an issue or bad one, and I keep them running for 5-7 years at least. I do like MSI graphics cards. ASUS gave me trouble and, from what I've read, their quality has declined as their prices have increased.

Sounds like you had bad luck. You can get a bad board from any manufacturer. Hope it turns around!

I understand computer nightmares. AMD gave me one a long time ago and it took at least 10-15 years for me to even possibly consider buying another (I didn't).

keel wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:09 am
Debutante wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:47 am ... your Graphics card was causing underruns??
Yes. nvlddmkm.sys. Just google out "nvlddmkm.sys latency". It's very, very common problem. Nvidia sucks on audio production.

This is mine, not that bad, I had much worst, but this one was the only screenshot I had left. Already sold my Nvidia card :)

Did you use the msi util v2 tool before dumping the card to see if it helped?

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”