Logic Alchemy vs Camel Audio

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm a user of Alchemy from Camel Audio and looking to get an M1 w/ logic and wondering how the synth has evolved since Apple aquired it.

Does it still use sfz files?
Does it still have the wave forms?
Are all the libraries from the Camel Audio library included?

There have been lots of changes in Alchemy over the past few years... you might find the specifics in the changelogs for Logic

It evolved a lot and is mainly much better in every way BUT Apple also removed 2 major features i really miss. Waveform import and even more important for me microtuning.

I'm on Windows (and still use Alchemy). The Logic version did not contain all of the Camel Audio libraries, but as I recall, it did contain many of the same sounds from multiple libraries. I also remember people saying you were able to import the Camel Audio libraries into the Logic version. Though, with it being so many years later, I'd recommend double-checking on the import.

The Logic version reorganised the Camel libraries so I am not sure if all the presets are included. It will play your Camel libraries, but they sound different. I consider them related but different synths.
H E L P
Y O U R
F L O W

Thanks all! Does the logic version still use SFZ files or some other format? Also, does it have drag and drop capabilities for loading samples? Thanks!

Big up the Camels!

A truly ground-breaking synth when it came out.

But Logic seem to have developed it further still (albeit dropping a couple of features).
Shame in some ways that the Camel Audio guys sold out, but also extremely understandable given the big money on offer.

Michael L wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:24 am The Logic version reorganised the Camel libraries so I am not sure if all the presets are included. It will play your Camel libraries, but they sound different. I consider them related but different synths.
All my old libraries are working fine - it will load them as legacy libraries - even third party ones

aMUSEd wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:14 pm
Michael L wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:24 am The Logic version reorganised the Camel libraries so I am not sure if all the presets are included. It will play your Camel libraries, but they sound different. I consider them related but different synths.
All my old libraries are working fine - it will load them as legacy libraries - even third party ones
They do load as legacy, but if you A/B with Camel they sound different.
H E L P
Y O U R
F L O W

Not enough to bother me

dark water wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:29 pm
Shame in some ways that the Camel Audio guys sold out
They didn't 'sell out'. They sold.
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

revvy wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:43 am
I must have dreamt up the lengthy KVR and Gearslutz threads of many shocked / pissed off Camel Audio Alchemy purchasers from a few years ago...

Camel Audio sold out all their Windows users.

For the many millions of pounds they got, I don't blame them.
Last edited by dark water on Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

dark water wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:14 am
revvy wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:43 am
I must have dreamt up the lengthy KVR thread of many shocked / pissed off Alchemy owners from a few years ago...

Clearly not, but their beliefs don't make it so.
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

^^ I edited my post above during the same time as you replied.

Clearly you think that Camel Audio did not sell out their customers who used the Windows version of Alchemy.
Plenty of people disagree with you.

Either way, as put above, I can fully understand why Camel did what they did for the many millions of pounds on offer.

More relevant to this 2020 thread, as I put above, Logic Alchemy seems like a great synth. Shame I can't use it... but it does seem like a great synth that has updated many features since the 2010 Camel Audio version (but it has also dropped a couple of the older synth's features).

"to betray one's cause or associates especially for personal gain"

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sellout

Yeah right.

Peeps feel betrayed that a company gives them x months to sell their stuff in advance of the actual actual shutdown? Yes, it's an opinion but I don't see it that way.

YMMV lol

As a Mac user I lost out too, sold my stuff before I knew that it was even Apple that had bought Camel and moved on, a non-Logic user.

Since bought Logic and you're right, it's still a cool synth and I do wish PC folks could still use it, of course.

Return to “Instruments”