One-Synth-Challenge: General discussion thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

ELEX wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:01 pm That makes perfect sense, comrade :wink: Must say, Vital looks very promising, indeed. One can't but love audio-rate modulation, can one ?
Absolutely :tu: Although, since this is wavetable synth, most likely we are waiting for some restrictions... as well as the limitations of the free version. But I hope it doesn't feel stripped down as HY-Poly Free :D
However, I probably won't have time to figure it out well enough in December (a lot of work), and I don't post (any more) :hihi: unfinished tracks, so I asked would the other challengers like to have fun with their favorite toys before the holidays? :party:

IV! wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:06 pm ...most likely we are waiting for some restrictions... as well as the limitations of the free version.
Restrictions 'R Us, here at OSC, right ? :wink:
IV! wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:06 pm But I hope it doesn't feel stripped down as HY-Poly Free :D ...
My main gripe with that one actually were the lo-res LFOs. I'll take stripped down quality over lo-res quantity any time. Hope you do find the time to enter a track again. :pray:

ELEX wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:38 pm
IV! wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:06 pm ...most likely we are waiting for some restrictions... as well as the limitations of the free version.
Restrictions 'R Us, here at OSC, right ? :wink:
IV! wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:06 pm But I hope it doesn't feel stripped down as HY-Poly Free :D ...
My main gripe with that one actually were the lo-res LFOs. I'll take stripped down quality over lo-res quantity any time. Hope you do find the time to enter a track again. :pray:
Absolutely again! :lol:

Whatever we choose, I will try!) The previous few months I started tracks, but I couldn't finish them :( ...therefore, more and more creative energy is accumulated 8)

Hi everybody! I want to know of any freeware fx that have randomising and or probability features. Shall i just leave this here (it would be for OSC) or should i post a dedicated thread in the effects forum?

I'll begin with: HY-MPS2(free)

Regarding limitations with Vital: the sample generator is much like Serum's noise generator which has been allowed so long as the only samples used are the ones that come with the synth by default.
The wavetable oscillators, as usual, if samples are to be used, limit only to two frames, otherwise, wavetables made in the editor are fair game, much like with Phase Plant.
Text To Wavetable is a bit of a conundrum for me - with Vital Basic and Plus, the only restrictions are that you get limited uses of TTWT per day. I can see that being a slight issue for some, but you can always just wait until another day before making more wavetables with that. I see no reason to outright ban it for OSC personally.
It's very tasty, I swear!

IV! wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:06 pm
ELEX wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:01 pm That makes perfect sense, comrade :wink: Must say, Vital looks very promising, indeed. One can't but love audio-rate modulation, can one ?
Absolutely :tu: Although, since this is wavetable synth, most likely we are waiting for some restrictions... as well as the limitations of the free version. But I hope it doesn't feel stripped down as HY-Poly Free :D
However, I probably won't have time to figure it out well enough in December (a lot of work), and I don't post (any more) :hihi: unfinished tracks, so I asked would the other challengers like to have fun with their favorite toys before the holidays? :party:
Vital itself is completely free. There are no restrictions put on what the synth can do whatsoever. With the paid versions what you're paying for are extra presets, priority support, and unlimited TTWT, though i've been beta testing it for a bit now and TTWT never really came in too handy.

Hope this clears things up! :D

Vital beta tester here, there is nothing different between the free and paid versions of vital as far as the synth engine
Paid versions only add presets and give you more text to wavetable requests.
text to wavetable converts your text into speech, then vocodes that and puts it into the wavetable
that is the only limitation
Check out my website for synth/software articles reviews and presets http://databroth.com (new review every monday)

I also do experimental sound design and demos of plugins (no talking) on my youtube: https://www.youtube.com/databroth

Another vote for Vital. I'll explore this synth next month anyway 😁

Has there ever been an OSC where we use a DAW synth?

Double Tap wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:34 pm Has there ever been an OSC where we use a DAW synth?
Recently there was such a proposal, but not all DAWs have built-in synthesizers. For example, I can't think of anything with Cakewalk, and someone named at least one more...

Double Tap wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:34 pm Has there ever been an OSC where we use a DAW synth?
When an "Any one synth" round comes up, its permited to use a DAW instrument if I remember correctly.
I think someone made a track with Live's Operator in the past.

I think Vital will be the next Serum, maybe it would be interesting for a track to be made with it only.
Or maybe Nils K1v, we haven’t done that yet. It also seems like it could be great for the challenge considering the interesting modulation functions.
Many paid and free VSTs as well as Kontakt libraries. As well as HW synths/drum machine and acoustic instruments.

K1v is a rompler, it wouldn't be allowed
It's very tasty, I swear!

IV! wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:37 pm
Recently there was such a proposal, but not all DAWs have built-in synthesizers. For example, I can't think of anything with Cakewalk, and someone named at least one more...
Ah, yes that's a good point.
J.Ruegg wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:42 pm When an "Any one synth" round comes up, its permited to use a DAW instrument if I remember correctly.
I think someone made a track with Live's Operator in the past.
I was thinking that although I'm itching to use Vital in an OSC, December is usually a pretty full month so I was wondering what alternatives there might be.

zerofox97 wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:49 pm Regarding limitations with Vital: the sample generator is much like Serum's noise generator which has been allowed so long as the only samples used are the ones that come with the synth by default.
This seems reasonable. I know the paid versions include more wavetables. Do they also include more samples?
The wavetable oscillators, as usual, if samples are to be used, limit only to two frames, otherwise, wavetables made in the editor are fair game, much like with Phase Plant.
Huh. Perhaps I misunderstood the restrictions during the Phase Plant OSC. I only used 2 frames even with my hand-drawn wavetables. Oh, well. :P There wasn't really much I wanted to use more than that for in that round, anyway.
Text To Wavetable is a bit of a conundrum for me - with Vital Basic and Plus, the only restrictions are that you get limited uses of TTWT per day. I can see that being a slight issue for some, but you can always just wait until another day before making more wavetables with that. I see no reason to outright ban it for OSC personally.
Since it's one of the synth's more unique features, it would be somewhat disappointing to ban it. Given that the TTWT output is synthesized by a service tied to the synth, it doesn't seem against the spirit to allow it. I could see this going either way, though.
Celebrating 50 years of pants with frogs in them

Return to “Instruments”