Modal Electronics Cobalt8

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey

Modal Electronics has recently announced COBALT8, a new virtual analog Synthesizer that features 34 complex oscillator algorithms, a ladder filter, and more. I decided to go deep into the engine and give you a detailed overview of the raw sound of the oscillator algorithms. Hope it helps :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6vmabPw_sI
Synth Anatomy
http://www.synthanatomy.com
Sound Design and Software / IOS Synthesizer Videochannel

Synth Anatomy
http://www.synthanatomy.com
Sound Design and Software / IOS Synthesizer Videochannel

Voice panning is strong in this one.
is there no way to turn off voice panning?

My Cobalt 8M arrives Monday :)
Ableton Live 11,Push 3/Deepmind 12D, Roland VT4, TR-8S, Roland Fantom 06, Zoom MS-70CDR

I ordered a Cobalt8M today, but not sure when it will arrive. The store where I purchased still has the Cobalt8M on a pre-order status. Nevertheless, I look forward to using it in conjunction with the Argon8M.

Hope its great, guys. I'm really liking my Skulpt, so I imagine the Cobalt8 will be awesome!

Does it generally have step-artefacts when the cutoff frequency is being changed? I'm just asking because in a video there was too much (for me) of this at some point. Does this depend on the patch programming?

MuzikFreq wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:11 pm Voice panning is strong in this one.
is there no way to turn off voice panning?
Panning is controlled by the Width knob, hold shift turn the encoder 0=mono 127 = wide panning.
Ableton Live 11,Push 3/Deepmind 12D, Roland VT4, TR-8S, Roland Fantom 06, Zoom MS-70CDR

twi wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:57 pm Does it generally have step-artefacts when the cutoff frequency is being changed? I'm just asking because in a video there was too much (for me) of this at some point. Does this depend on the patch programming?
Not something I have noticed, but then again, I tend to automate via DAW and doesnt step via DAW, maybe its the encoder resolution.

Goony wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:24 pm My Cobalt 8M arrives Monday :)
So,first thoughts about this Cobalt8?Is it good,worth the money?
I have not been convinced by the audio demos I've heard yet.Something is weird in the sound,something that I don't find my words to describe it,It gives me the impression something is wrong about the filter,the phase;I don't know what.

I’m thinking of getting one of these. Any input from those with experience would be appreciated. I’m not so interested in how analog it sounds, so we don’t need to get into analog/digital comparisons, just the general sound and usability, build and feel. I’m liking the general feature set and oscillator capabilities, from what I’ve seen/heard so far. Thanks...

I was already using the Argon8m : very satisfied about that synth, great sound, build quality and fantastic integration with your DAW.
Because of that great experience with the Argon8m, I also bought the Cobalt8m.
It's a very nice duo to have in your sound arsenal, both rather digital sounding but both with its own character.

PatrickW wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:26 am I was already using the Argon8m : very satisfied about that synth, great sound, build quality and fantastic integration with your DAW.
Because of that great experience with the Argon8m, I also bought the Cobalt8m.
It's a very nice duo to have in your sound arsenal, both rather digital sounding but both with its own character.
Thanks for the info. I bought it and have a month to return it, so it’s a safe purchase. So far I’m pleased with it.

Modal are doing a £50 off voucher deal with certain dealers at the moment on the Cobalt and Argon.

I've been pretty interested in the desktop version of this. I've yet to pull the trigger though it looks fun.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”