Is JUCE an improved version of VSTGUI? [JUCE VS VSTGUI]

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Markus Krause wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:38 am JUCE recently has been bought by Roli. We devs don't know for sure what this means for the future of JUCE
You sure do not know what this means for the future as JUCE was recently bought by PACE. Not Roli.
"Hell is other People" J.P.Sartre

Wrong thread :dog:

arne wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:54 pm
EvilDragon wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:44 amCan't say that Steiny did the same for VSTGUI (because they didn't, and it's filled with bugs that don't get fixed.)
You mentioned this more than once now, can you point me to bug reports you are talking about?

Thanks.
While developing Surge, I know the team has fixed a number of bugs since we fork VSTGUI - those bugs are especially around various transforms and Linux - and we reported some, but not all, and you have merged some, but not all. It does feel like the Linux part of VSTGUI is left basically untested...

I can ask Surge chief maintainer if he wants submit all of our fixes over the holidays to you make sure you have them all, if you want. Would you be willing to merge them? Some of them were quite major (like missing transforms) and some of them minor (like not including button events on various mouse gestures); and a number of them were Linux problems. Let me know.

Sure, either by reporting issues or making pull requests. VSTGUI is open source since a long time. JUCE is a commercial library, it would be bad if they would not be faster in fixing bugs. And by the way regarding support Metal, VSTGUI was first to support the Metal version of CoreGraphics you mentioned in your other post, where you linked to a Juce forum thread. VSTGUI has this support since a few years, exactly since March 2018: https://github.com/steinbergmedia/vstgu ... e58e778287
And Direct2D support on Windows since even longer, while JUCE still has no native hardware accelerated backend on Windows.

I stand corrected regarding Metal (I knew about D2D being there, though).

Yeah arne I sent you the biggest ones (the massive redundant invalidation due to rects) but basically if you set zoom factor away from 1 there were bugs and also the Cairo backend has some path bugs which I’ve just now fixed (again some with zoom factor but some with non integral mode) which have scattered some if Linux here and there to get it working

We have the ones we ran into fixed for surge 18 but once we have the release candidate together I can push them all up to you in issues with a link to our diff and an explanation

Oh I also added a few features. You can do what you want with those of course! But I will share them too

Thanks

I can confirm bugs and glitches with zoom factors different than 1 or 2 - especially on PC. They appear in VSTGUI 4.9 and also older versions.
It affects VST SDK 3.7, 3.7.1 and also older versions

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”