The future of Geist 2

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Having just gone through the process of getting my FXpansion serial numbers for Cypher2 and Strobe2 moved to a new Roli account and purchasing the upgrade from these plugins to Roli Equator 2, I wonder what is in the cards for Geist 2? There was an upgrade not all that long ago, but will it ever move to Roli?

I like the program. It doesn’t seem to fit with the Seaboard MPE thing, but what about Blocks? I confess to being a bit of a groove box addict, especially in hardware.
------------------------------------------
Gribs

I doubt it because Roli just came out with their own groove box of sorts that works with MPE. I expect Geist 2 to be a discontinued product soon

vertibration wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:49 pm I doubt it because Roli just came out with their own groove box of sorts that works with MPE. I expect Geist 2 to be a discontinued product soon
Oh, I see it is part of Roli Studio. I didn’t catch that. It seems sort of basic compared with Geist 2 and Groove Agent. I guess we will see.
------------------------------------------
Gribs

I also dont see Strobe 2 or Cypher 2 last much longer either. Seems like Roli has a certain UI they prefer, and likely we will see Equator as the flagship, and maybe they will do a pro version of their Roli drums to include features from Geist.

I really like Geist 2, but I have slowly been giving up on it. It's future feels too uncertain to invest too much time in it. Fantastic piece of software though

pdxindy wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:13 pm I really like Geist 2, but I have slowly been giving up on it. It's future feels too uncertain to invest too much time in it. Fantastic piece of software though
What are you replacing it with?
For me Geist is a beast featurewise (can't think about anything modern that can touch it) but I can't stand the GUI colors, no matter the skin.

- Mario

It's a shame about Geist 2 as it's a drum powerhouse. Ableton's drum racks are a good substitute, however.

I am keeping an eye on Groove Agent as well.

mabian wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:20 pm
pdxindy wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:13 pm I really like Geist 2, but I have slowly been giving up on it. It's future feels too uncertain to invest too much time in it. Fantastic piece of software though
What are you replacing it with?
For me Geist is a beast featurewise (can't think about anything modern that can touch it) but I can't stand the GUI colors, no matter the skin.

- Mario
I like the GUI... So far I am not replacing it with anything. For me it is the clear best groovebox available today. Sampling is really fast, sounds great and has the depth of functionality to not run into dead-ends. When I make my own kits they sound really good and coherent as a kit with minimal effort. I value that a lot.

I use Bitwig and Logic. Logics new Drum Designer along with the new Sequencer would be a suitable replacement for me. However, I'm mostly using Bitwig at the moment so doing drums in Bitwig. Been purposefully not using Geist to see if I can be happy without it.

On iOS I like Drambo as a modular groovebox. I'd use Drambo as Geist replacement if there were a VST version.

The thing with fxpansion/roli...

Having excellent software has never been a factor when it comes to cancelling a product. If it doesn’t fit in the seaboard paradigm...it’s gone. It’s all about peddling the hardware. Geist might be saved by Blocks, but that’s about it.

Yup.

Nothing like Geist, I fear for its future...
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

You can make your own skins for Geist, just have to mess with the code.

As far as its future, its just a sad situation for FXpansion products. Angus is the VP of engineering, research and technology at Roli now. He helped develop Equator 2, so his ideas for synths are still there.

I think their little mpe drum thing is ok, but not great, and no where near the level of Geist 1, or 2.

I dont know, its a possibility something might come of a drum machine for Roli, but I just dont know

Is it stated somewhere that they’ve stopped developing it?

Or is it KVR scaremongering...

It was updated this year.

Someone from FXpansion could easily jump in here to quell any fears.
They didn't when they dropped VST-RTAS, Maul, Bloom, Etch etc...I would certainly advise against buying it until there's some clarity.

simmo75 wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:02 pm Is it stated somewhere that they’ve stopped developing it?

"What embecile composed this list :/"

Brittlestem wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:26 pm Someone from FXpansion could easily jump in here to quell any fears.
They didn't when they dropped VST-RTAS, Maul, Bloom, Etch etc...I would certainly advise against buying it until there's some clarity.

simmo75 wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:02 pm Is it stated somewhere that they’ve stopped developing it?

So scaremongering then... even though the last update was this year.

I'm well aware about the other discontinued products and would listen if it came from FX, but I wouldn't warn people away from an excellent product because of your opinion, when it has no factual evidence at all.

I agree that FX should step in and clarify.

So sad... Best sounding soft synths (analog model) as of today imo and best groovebox. Everything they have done is top.

Return to “Instruments”