One Synth Challenge #142: Vital by Matt Tytel (Jasinski Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Vital

L-EctroBit wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:21 pm
Spring Goose wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:57 pm The problem is the Mesa3d 20.2.3 that i got from Github doesn't contain a .cmd, so i'm stumped. Most of the You Tube videos aren't in English.
I am not an expert in Mesa3D but I have PM you with some info on what I did to make it work. It is very simple. I hope it helps. :tu:
Thank you very much. I appreciate you taking the time to help me. I'll let you know how i get on. :)

Wow! There is a lot of excitement around this synth. I hope I can make some time to complete an entry. Regardless, I'm looking forward to all the great tracks here!
"I can't listen to the Ninth anymore at all."

I have been summoned.

:borg:

L-EctroBit wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:21 pm
Spring Goose wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:57 pm The problem is the Mesa3d 20.2.3 that i got from Github doesn't contain a .cmd, so i'm stumped. Most of the You Tube videos aren't in English.
I am not an expert in Mesa3D but I have PM you with some info on what I did to make it work. It is very simple. I hope it helps. :tu:
Tried it this morning, but it doesn't work for Bitwig. I don't fancy using a different DAW for the competition, so i guess i'm out this month. Thanks anyway!

Hey BJ and Richard - just wanted to say thanks for allowing commercial plugs this month!
- Steve (OnTrackP)

Spring Goose wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:44 am
L-EctroBit wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:21 pm I am not an expert in Mesa3D but I have PM you with some info on what I did to make it work. It is very simple. I hope it helps. :tu:
Tried it this morning, but it doesn't work for Bitwig. I don't fancy using a different DAW for the competition, so i guess i'm out this month. Thanks anyway!
It's a shame it didn't work for you :( . I use Mesa3D on Windows 10 to be able to use those plugins with opengl problems. But on the same laptop I have a partition with Linux (Ubuntu Studio). It turns out that almost all those plugins with opengl problems on Windows just work fine on Linux without the need of install anything.
I think there are people who use Bitwig on Linux. In Linux many things work better than in Windows and Mac. For example, the midi keyboard-controller that I use has no drivers to work in Windows or Mac, but it has always worked in Linux without install drivers.
Unfortunately I have not been able to use Vital on Linux either. :dog:

L-EctroBit wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:55 pm
Spring Goose wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:44 am
L-EctroBit wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:21 pm I am not an expert in Mesa3D but I have PM you with some info on what I did to make it work. It is very simple. I hope it helps. :tu:
It's a shame it didn't work for you :( . I use Mesa3D on Windows 10 to be able to use those plugins with opengl problems. But on the same laptop I have a partition with Linux (Ubuntu Studio). It turns out that almost all those plugins with opengl problems on Windows just work fine on Linux without the need of install anything.
I think there are people who use Bitwig on Linux. In Linux many things work better than in Windows and Mac. For example, the midi keyboard-controller that I use has no drivers to work in Windows or Mac, but it has always worked in Linux without install drivers.
Unfortunately I have not been able to use Vital on Linux either. :dog:
Linux too technical for me! ;) I did try Ubuntu many moons ago (15 year ago approx) but i couldn't get anything to work. Like i say i'm chancing it making music on this computer which cost £75 and i'm generally doing ok with this computer. I had entries to both Pendulate and Monique. Cheers for advice pal!! :D :D:D

Spring Goose wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:07 pm I did try Ubuntu many moons ago (15 year ago approx) but i couldn't get anything to work.
Things have changed quite a bit in all those years.
Spring Goose wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:07 pm I had entries to both Pendulate and Monique. Cheers for advice pal!! :D :D:D
Good luck with your Monique entry. :tu:

Oh wow, now this looks like a thing of beauty! It sounds super smooth, too, so very polished. GUI is most excellent, too. Now I would have to have the time, the right head space and ...well... get over a bunch of odds, but this one looks just wonderful.
No problems here I could notice at first glance. But then...I only play with the mouse, hahaha... no idea, yet, how well it processes polyphony, haha. :bang:
Anyway, I miss you guys!

Taron wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:40 pm Oh wow, now this looks like a thing of beauty! It sounds super smooth, too, so very polished. GUI is most excellent, too. Now I would have to have the time, the right head space and ...well... get over a bunch of odds, but this one looks just wonderful.
No problems here I could notice at first glance. But then...I only play with the mouse, hahaha... no idea, yet, how well it processes polyphony, haha. :bang:
Anyway, I miss you guys!
Hi, Taron, I miss you and your tracks too! :hug:
Well, the mouse has at least two keys, so in theory you can set up duophonic mode. Perhaps even the key velocity or pitch/mod on the mouse wheel... :o :hihi:
Seriously, I wish you to solve all technical problems! After reading the messages in the topic, I realized that if Vital started on your computer, then this is already a great happiness! It looks like I was lucky not to have any problems with it :phew: (other than CPU usage in the region of 30-100% per instance, but we've been through this before... just put your tracks out of the window and in half an hour at -15°C you pick them up perfectly frozen and not loading the processor), so this time there are no excuses and I'm in the game! :tu:

@ IV!: Regarding CPU usage: Don't forget the oversampling settings on the 'advanced' tab, defaults to 2x , but there's also a draft mode. And when a patch is ready, don't play it with GUI open, that takes way more CPU than the audio processing.

@Taron: Your tracks are always a treat, so please do bring us the joy of a new one :)

I just heard about The One Synth Challenge from the Vital forum and i'm excited to participate this month, and the months following! this will be fun <3

A good day to you all,
Linguae~

ELEX wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:18 am @ IV!: Regarding CPU usage: Don't forget the oversampling settings on the 'advanced' tab, defaults to 2x , but there's also a draft mode. And when a patch is ready, don't play it with GUI open, that takes way more CPU than the audio processing.
Thank you for your valuable tips! Indeed, I have just discovered two interesting things:
1) 50-70% of the CPU load in Cakewalk is occupied by processing the synthesizer interface (I don't know if it is actually processed by the GPU or the CPU, but this is a fact).
2) Vital Standalone works MUCH MORE efficiently than VST in a DAW, even on 8x oversampling. So it looks like I'll be creating presets in the Standalone version, and only writing the track itself in the DAW, which seems pretty convenient for now)

Tucky wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:49 pm I just heard about The One Synth Challenge from the Vital forum and i'm excited to participate this month, and the months following! this will be fun <3
Fantastic, welcome!
Celebrating 50 years of pants with frogs in them

Welcome @Tucky .. be sure to check the rules carefully. The main thing to be aware of is to NOT use modulating FX outside Vital (of if you do, use lightly/sparingly). e.g. OK to use the inbuilt chorus, but NOT OK is use a chorus VST to process the sound coming from the Vital instance.

Looking forward to hearing your submission.

dB

Return to “Instruments”