What limiter do you use, if any?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have consistently gotten the best results from Toneboosters Barricade 4. It's pretty transparent, and can achieve a respectable amount of squashing.
I'm starting to question my use of limiters, though. They tend to make me lazy during mixing, like "oh, I'll just push everything into the limiter at the end". My next project (maybe a remix), I want to avoid a limiter altogether, and see how that goes.

May I throw another One in here,
which surely deserves more Love. #imho
https://lvcaudio.com/plugins/limited-z
The art of knowing is knowing what to ignore.

TB Barricade 4 ....
No auto tune...

Studio One limiter, I think... not even sure right now (as I often switched between TB Barricade CM and the included Studio One limiter). Always load a template with it on the master channel.

ariston wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:23 am I have consistently gotten the best results from Toneboosters Barricade 4. It's pretty transparent, and can achieve a respectable amount of squashing.
I'm starting to question my use of limiters, though. They tend to make me lazy during mixing, like "oh, I'll just push everything into the limiter at the end". My next project (maybe a remix), I want to avoid a limiter altogether, and see how that goes.
You can use the limiter to hit a certain LUFS level only, and not rely on it to achieve a sound.

I use limiters just since a short time ago, so my experience is limited. Nevertheless:

-Standard clipping protection: Ableton Stock Limiter
-Effect limiting to richen sound/get some distortion: Uhe Presswerk in limiter mode
-Getting maximal loudness: Newfangled Elevate

If these would not be enough for my needs, I would regard going to DMG Limitless. But ATM I don‘t need it.

L1 on sub groups (sparingly) and L2 on the stereo bus
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

Usually LoudMax, sometimes in combination with GClip.

Double post - Black Friday Stress Disorder :lol:

Actually, you don't need a limiter to limit audio like a limiter does if you understand how basic gain structure works. ;) That type of thing can take years for some people to understand though and not every piece of software or hardware is capable. I'll give you a hint: You need at least two things with the gain set correctly. Sounds easy, right ? Good luck !

I think I get it. So basically instead of one thing we need two things, right?

I use T-Racks Stealth Limiter to eliminate clipping from inter-sample peaks. I would never use a loudness maximizer or limiting as an effect.

A limiter should be utilitarian only. You can’t hear a difference when Stealth Limiter is on, but the clip LEDs stop lighting up on the master buss.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

Voxengo Elephant here. I’ve had this little gem for a long time. It does everything I need a limiter to do and it gives great results. I’ve used it for many masters and releases. It can push the volume to ridiculous levels without any artefacts.
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

ScrLk wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:31 pm
ariston wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:23 am I have consistently gotten the best results from Toneboosters Barricade 4. It's pretty transparent, and can achieve a respectable amount of squashing.
You can use the limiter to hit a certain LUFS level only, and not rely on it to achieve a sound.
This is good advice.

I personally tend to not use a limiter except as a simple overshoot catcher on the main bus, UP UNTIL THE POINT i've finished the song and ironed out those overshoots, at which point i will export the mixed song (sans limiter), open it up in a new project file, and--barring a couple adjustments with Nova and SlickEQ M, i will only be using Limiter 6, to get it up to decent loudness. I tend to mix to around -18 or -20 lufs and then when i'm limiting i boost it up to around -12 to -14

Last edited by jp008 on Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”