The future of Geist 2

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I own Live and Logic but Geist still rocks in ways that those DAWS (especially Logic) never will.

Quick access to all my samples and loops in a mega sequencing and actually-sampling drum machine.

And it runs standalone for distraction-free beat/tune-making.

Angus, beloved dev, Geist is still a going concern, amirite?
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

revvy wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:40 pm I own Live and Logic but Geist still rocks in ways that those DAWS (especially Logic) never will.

Quick access to all my samples and loops in a mega sequencing and actually-sampling drum machine.

And it runs standalone for distraction-free beat/tune-making.

Angus, beloved dev, Geist is still a going concern, amirite?
Yeah... Geist is special.

Logic did get much better with the new Drum Designer and Sequencer though.

Kinh wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:16 pm i use uvi drum designer for sequencing beats. how is geist better besides more sounds?
Geist has a lot of crucial features packed into the plugin. Its really incomparable.

vertibration wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:51 pm
Kinh wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:16 pm i use uvi drum designer for sequencing beats. how is geist better besides more sounds?
Geist has a lot of crucial features packed into the plugin. Its really incomparable.
you dont put up a convincing argument "geist is better than ableton because....it is!"

Im yet to hear someone explain to me how geist is superior to drum rack, taking into account all the modular capabilities, m4l and effects + everything else ableton can do as a whole, including automation workflow, etc, etc.

Can't see why anyone apart from a company rep would bother. Try the demo or don't, doesn't really matter.
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

I bought Geist2 in the black friday sales, and am really enjoying it. I'm using Bitwig, and I love how easy it is to sample hihats I make in the Grid and assign them to pads. Perhaps there's already a way I could be doing this in Bitwig, but I doubt it would be as seamless.

Also, I know this is just anecdotal, but everything seems to sound really good and really tight. Perhaps I'm just imagining it.

Of course Ableton and any other DAW can do what Geist can.
Geist is just much quicker in many of these things as it's sole purpose is to be the quickest and most feature rich drum machine on the planet.

Maybe the UVI and Melda thingies are comparable, haven't tried them. But at least Melda often has some “quirks“ because the stuff mostly has so many features, which often aren't that well organized for a seemless workflow

Of course Geist has some quirks too, as it's grid can't do triplets, so you either have to use the shift automation, or use a second of it's eight engines and use a clock divider on that when you program your beats. It of course records triplets flawlessly when you play them in.

Also, the cursor behavior is completely awful when zooming into samples, as it zooms everything but the actual position i intend it too. Might be user error though, but i've been using it for a while.
Compared to Sound Forge, Edison and TAL Sampler it's completely garbage in this regard as far as i'm concerned.

Lastly, the time stretching algorithm, while awesome for general purpose stuff, actually doesn't seem to work as good on drums as some vintage time stretching algorithms as it instantly muffles things. For most stuff it sounds good and it's impressive how far you can stretch things, but for drums i think even GURU had a “better“ one.
Haven't used that in ages though, so i might just imagine things.

Other than that though, it actually is by far the best drum sampling machine i tried.

How much of it's features are truly required for making beats is up to everyone though. Many times even a pretty simple step sequencer will more than do.
And then you have your DAW's MIDI editor for more precise controls where you basically can do everything Geist can. In many cases i think you just won't be as quick when you really want to mangle your beats.
The GAS is always greener on the other side!

revvy wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:30 am Can't see why anyone apart from a company rep would bother. Try the demo or don't, doesn't really matter.
of course it matters you idiot. "it doesn't matter" is a null statement, unless you put "to me" on the end of it but even that wouldn't make sense because clearly it does to you. God knows why.
Last edited by Kinh on Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kinh wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:31 pm
revvy wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:30 am Can't see why anyone apart from a company rep would bother. Try the demo or don't, doesn't really matter.
of course it matters you idiot. "it doesn't matter" is a null statement, unless you put "to me" on the end of it but even that doesn't make sense because clearly it does, to you.
"To anybody but yourself."

I prefer you when you talk in fake jive, you make more sense, for an idiot.

wintoid wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:15 pm I bought Geist2 in the black friday sales, and am really enjoying it. I'm using Bitwig, and I love how easy it is to sample hihats I make in the Grid and assign them to pads. Perhaps there's already a way I could be doing this in Bitwig, but I doubt it would be as seamless.

Also, I know this is just anecdotal, but everything seems to sound really good and really tight. Perhaps I'm just imagining it.
You are not imagining it. I've made lots of kits in Geist and they always sound good and gel together with minimal effort.

And yeah, sampling in Geist is fast and fun.

it sure has great built in effects
The pure play back engine of course is the same as everything else on the market

Kinh wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:00 am
vertibration wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:51 pm
you dont put up a convincing argument "geist is better than ableton because....it is!"

Im yet to hear someone explain to me how geist is superior to drum rack, taking into account all the modular capabilities, m4l and effects + everything else ableton can do as a whole, including automation workflow, etc, etc.
Pretty obvious you havnt done your research on Geist, and come to an educated conclusion about pros and cons vs Ableton Drum racks.

It's also pretty logical that stuff that concentrates on certain aspects (and do that pretty well) are better for specific tasks than more “all rounder stuff“

Of course the same applies to Geist too, and some extremely well done Slicers will be better Slicers than Geist, which does a whole lot more (but not DAW-level whole lot more)
And for single hit sample processing, Battery is imo still a bit better, but it doesn't do Geist's sequencing and modulating thingie at all.

Battery 3 and 4 are a great combo.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

wintoid wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:15 pm I bought Geist2 in the black friday sales, and am really enjoying it. I'm using Bitwig, and I love how easy it is to sample hihats I make in the Grid and assign them to pads. Perhaps there's already a way I could be doing this in Bitwig, but I doubt it would be as seamless.

For $50 (US) it was a great deal.

AFAIK Cypher2 and Strobe2, two excellent plugins, were also on sale. I have licensed those since the first versions in DCAM Synth Squad.
------------------------------------------
Gribs

Return to “Instruments”