The 2600 - does anybody know how to use it - for musical purposes?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have to agree with Synthpunk on this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ae2vYeb3SCI

Sums in 4 minutes what's not to bother to look at - agree fully with his statements.
I wasted 25 minutes on one he sampled, completely useless as sounds goes. Talk, talk, talk for 15 minutes before one sound and then just blips.

There ought to be something other that blips and stuff you can do?
Did anybody find reviews that had experience maybe with original 2600's?

Quite a few at Korg forum were ready to flesh out for the FS version even.

Just that it looks so different than most synths is a bit intriguing, but you want to hear something what it can do. Maybe combine something with Neutron.

Saw that Gear4music had Behringer versions listed as arriving 3 weeks into january. Same for MonoPoly.

Have not seen Pro 800 yet as listed, so further down the road most likely.

Why would one get a 2600, if not to make R2D2 sounds or the 'Primeval Forest' patch? :hihi:

justin3am wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:32 am Why would one get a 2600, if not to make R2D2 sounds or the 'Primeval Forest' patch? :hihi:
+1 ... those are the 'normaled' mono and duophonic defaults, IIRC.
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

Ok, I get it - it's just a StarWars synth - my bad. :D

It would be a better synth if the LEDs in the faders could be switched off.
Keep the illumination for the xmas season.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

BertKoor wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:28 am It would be a better synth if the LEDs in the faders could be switched off.
Keep the illumination for the xmas season.
Well, they can - can be adjusted in level all the the way to off. Was a pot on the back as I recall.

JMJ does, drop him a message occasionally.

What I hear from 95% of people who own modular is random noises noises or cyclic farts.For me that's not music.No chord progression,no melody.

if you learn how to use it, you might change your mind

you can't blame the synth for your lack of knowledge

Any mono synth is quite capable of making great sounds if you're good at your craft. Especially an ARP2600..
INTERFACE: RME ADI-2/4 Pro/Antelope Orion Studio Synergy Core/BAE 1073 MPF Dual/Heritage Audio Successor+SYMPH EQ
SYNTHS: Korg Kronos X 88/Yamaha Montage M8x/Sequential Trigon 6/
Behringer DM12D/Pro-800

You probably should start using it as any other synth - try recreating some common patches to get an idea of its capabilities.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

It's a synth. It has common synth parameters. Use them. :P

It should be borne in mind that the thing has only been available for what, a week, two at most? So, it's a bit premature to be expecting any in-depth walk-through tutorials by anyone who knows what they are doing. There will doubtless be 'courses', and patch example-packs available reasonably soon. Or pick up any of the software clones. and screen-grab the patches, then copy them.

(not that they would be guaranteed to sound even remotely the same, but it's a starting point.)
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

DJ Warmonger wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:37 am You probably should start using it as any other synth - try recreating some common patches to get an idea of its capabilities.
That's what I hoped for too.

Now it's more like
- look, here is a fader
- let's move it

Start with what you know, kind of, ordinary stuff but with this synth.
- then expand

Create some half decent musical sequence at least, but what I saw did not even do that.

Seems for the Arp/Karp there are some that supposedly reflect a cover of famous songs.

Well, I can't be responsible for a rubbish posted on other Youtube channels :shrug:
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”