One Synth Challenge #142: Vital by Matt Tytel (Jasinski Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Vital

You're all gonna laugh at my track when you hear it xD But that's what i'm intending :P

ELEX wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:26 pm

@] Peter:H [ : The text-to-wavetable function is definitely allowed. All factory wavetables are allowed AFAIK, but I think Exponent mentioned a two-frame maximum for imported wavetables. But lots of opportunities to make one's own in the ( quite extensive ) built-in table editor.
Oh no, i've used more than that!

The reason of the 2 frame(cycle) for imported wavetables is that you should not use the WT functionality as a type of "sampler", in order to playback recorded sounds etc. As in all the OSC's so far, the use of any built in sampler (ie sampler and/or Wavetable) has been discouraged!

e.g. you can't just grab a decent kick sample, chuck it in the WT or sampler, and then use that to create your kicks. Same for instruments, you need to use the built in wavetable editor (or import a 2 cycle waveform) to make your own WT's, or move to pure synthesis methods for making your sounds.

The "exception" here seems to be the use of the built in TTWT function, which does allow you to create phrases if required. Of course, tuning them and making them sound more natural/singing is harder than a pure sample of speech/singing!

Hope this helps clear things up a little

dB

WOW @Photonic, that is a very nice piano patch! Kudos to you! :hail:

I foresee 40 piano tracks submitted now :hihi:

Thank you Z!

I hope this patch works better for others than for me. I tried now for several hours to match the tuning of PM-sounds to the rest, but without success. It is to despair! :evil:
Now I tried some drum sounds instead and failed too. Couldn't get out some sound I like. I think this synth in not compatible to my brain :cry:
Slowly I loose interest in Vital. Maybe a break of some days will help.

Good luck to all!
soundcloud.com/photonic-1

photonic wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:11 pm Now I tried some drum sounds instead and failed too. Couldn't get out some sound I like. I think this synth in not compatible to my brain
One thing I just learned (like 5 minutes ago) is the SMOOTH setting on the LFO. For some reason I was overlooking it. I almost never would want it, but it defaults to .005 seconds which makes using the MSEG result in some strange and unexpected behavior. Maybe that is causing some pain for you? For example, if you switch to keytracked LFO to try to use it as an FM oscillator, you will not get normal results without setting smooth to 0.

I'll certainly make myself a default preset with this turned off. I would suggest to Matt to think about defaulting this setting to 0. :wink:

... and speaking of defaults, I know Serum does the same thing, but why not default the oscillators to Basic Shapes instead of just a saw wave? It seems like that would save a lot of clicks to get quite a lot of sounds?

Nonetheless, I'm loving this synth. Such a great job, Matt! :tu:

doctorbob wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:32 pm The reason of the 2 frame(cycle) for imported wavetables is that you should not use the WT functionality as a type of "sampler", in order to playback recorded sounds etc. As in all the OSC's so far, the use of any built in sampler (ie sampler and/or Wavetable) has been discouraged!

e.g. you can't just grab a decent kick sample, chuck it in the WT or sampler, and then use that to create your kicks. Same for instruments, you need to use the built in wavetable editor (or import a 2 cycle waveform) to make your own WT's, or move to pure synthesis methods for making your sounds.

The "exception" here seems to be the use of the built in TTWT function, which does allow you to create phrases if required. Of course, tuning them and making them sound more natural/singing is harder than a pure sample of speech/singing!

Hope this helps clear things up a little

dB
Gotcha, I'd just used some user's Wavetables that were shared on the vital forum :D

this is definitely a cool synth, i’m getting some strange cpu hog on some compressor settings, although i have been automating some of the lines in the multiband, strange it cannot be assigned to lfo, i guess it’s not a normal thing ;)
So far i haven’t touched the included WT, just plain old Saw,sine,triangle etc

If people are struggling with cpu load, there is always the option to bypass effects, sometimes free up cpu usage.

as an additional question, when bouncing to stems, can the effects be left in place, & then additional added.
I’ve never used stems in a OsC so would save my cpu and allow a easier way to mix wav files.
also i could increase oversampling instead of draft & have a go at 96hz :D
Man is least himself when he talks in the first person. Give him a mask, and he'll show you his true face

Eauson wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:01 pm... an additional question, when bouncing to stems, can the effects be left in place, & then additional added.
I hope to represent this the best way: you're free to bounce phrases and add any additional effects. Basically: you are not allowed to bounce for purposes of getting consistent sounds (e.g. a free-running oscillator in a synth will lead to inconsistent kicks and other percussive sounds). You are, however allowed to bounce for purposes of saving CPU, so if you bounce an entire phrase, like 4 bars or more, it's unlikely you're going to be doing so to work around free running oscillators, but instead just doing so to save CPU, which would be perfectly fine. Hope that makes sense (and explains the rules a bit).

I was waiting for this synth since first time I heard about it and was very pleased to hear it finally came out! :wheee: I bow to you, Matt Tytel! :hail: :hail: Such a masterpiece. Do you guys think the release of Vital will have impact on synths (like Serum) prices?

@zprime, thanks for the answer
so basically i can bounce down a track stem and mix it :D
i’ll have a play, makes the whole thing a lot simpler ;)
Man is least himself when he talks in the first person. Give him a mask, and he'll show you his true face

MrKarolus wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:00 pmDo you guys think the release of Vital will have impact on synths (like Serum) prices?
That's a really good question! My 2 cents is that: most companies are greedy and this will do nothing to change the current status quo of overpriced software (I say this, because I believe when compared to hardware, software devalues much more quickly, and when you look at prices of hardware vs. software, there isn't a huge disparity -- e.g. $400 for omnisphere vs $600 for a low end Korg workstation?) Surely there is development cost, but that's true for both HW and SW, and SW has a nearly free subsequent "manufacturing" cost. But similarly, things can be priced fairly and making them cheaper just won't be a sustainable business model (e.g. Valhalla plugins). Truly, my fear is that when free software gets to be so good that people begin to use it instead of paying for software, it has the potential to make the industry stagnate because no one can spend time developing new things... I'm very curious to hear other opinions, though!
Last edited by z.prime on Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Is there global/master pan knob in Vital? Can't seem to find it :help:

MrKarolus wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:49 pm Is there global/master pan knob in Vital? Can't seem to find it :help:
Does not appear so, but you could of course assign a macro to all the oscillator pan controls.

MrKarolus wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:00 pm I was waiting for this synth since first time I heard about it and was very pleased to hear it finally came out! :wheee: I bow to you, Matt Tytel! :hail: :hail: Such a masterpiece. Do you guys think the release of Vital will have impact on synths (like Serum) prices?
If it doesn't effect their prices it will surely effect their sales :wink:

Return to “Instruments”