Newfangled Audio Pendulate (and Generate coming soon...)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Generate Pendulate

DGillespie wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:49 pm Hi BeeDog,

We've been through this a lot over the years, both with Newfangled Audio and Eventide. The problem is that Program Files\Steinberg doesn't exist for people who don't have Cubase installed. We could create it, but that's confusing for the majority of plug-in users who don't use Cubase. We've actually experimented with using a PATH variable at Eventide, but it created problems for users who set it incorrectly the first time and weren't able to change it. I wish there was a standard Windows VST2 plug-ins directory as much as you do (probably more), but in the absence of one we've found that it's best to do what is easiest for novice users and explicitly ask users to set it on install. I realize that puts more burden on people who know what the deal is, but it makes life much easier for newer users. This will all finally sort itself out once we're all on VST3.

Dan
there is a another standard vst2 plugin directory, used by many brands. i use both (why?? some take one, some take the other..), no prob.

Program Files\VstPlugins

(next to: Program Files\Steinberg\vstplugins (windows file system isn't case sensitive..))

I think Pendulate and Generate have been some of the new synth highlights for me this year.
I made a track using only sounds from them in this track (except for drums). The video is made from the visualizations generated by those sounds.

https://youtu.be/QW3gisjJj1E

lemmike wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:40 am The video is made from the visualizations generated by those sounds.
very well done!

:tu:

I am having a difficult time figuring out what these synths add to the tone pallet.

Everything I am hearing, while it sounds good, sounds like “wub-wub” stuff.
------------------------------------------
Gribs

Gribs wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:55 pm I am having a difficult time figuring out what these synths add to the tone pallet.

from working with them or sound examples?

it is not always wub-wub stuff... it is how you program it, what works for your music. i like to work with generate as closest to the different stuff you can get out of it, you always can mimic almost everything, a kick, a lead, with even generate.

but generate you buy, or pendulate is free, you use for its special character, in my case..

the following example isn't that experimental, but not wub-wub (perhaps a bit, it is wub-wub thing... no it isn't, it is a quite different synth then the mainstream synths, or even the more experimental ones, it is an experimental synth, but very accessible). 1 instance. no post-processing.

https://soundcloud.com/user-873737123/g ... me-travels

muki wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:34 pm
lemmike wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:40 am The video is made from the visualizations generated by those sounds.
very well done!

:tu:
Thanks! :) It did take some effort with all the screen captures, cropping, audio sync and editing. But I'm quite pleased with how it turned out.

WasteLand wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:02 pm
Gribs wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:55 pm I am having a difficult time figuring out what these synths add to the tone pallet.

from working with them or sound examples?

it is not always wub-wub stuff... it is how you program it, what works for your music. i like to work with generate as closest to the different stuff you can get out of it, you always can mimic almost everything, a kick, a lead, with even generate.

but generate you buy, or pendulate is free, you use for its special character, in my case..

the following example isn't that experimental, but not wub-wub (perhaps a bit, it is wub-wub thing... no it isn't, it is a quite different synth then the mainstream synths, or even the more experimental ones, it is an experimental synth, but very accessible). 1 instance. no post-processing.

https://soundcloud.com/user-873737123/g ... me-travels
That was fantastic! Wow. Okay, I am going to grab pendulate and try it out a bit. I somehow missed that it is free.

Edit: Geez I am dumb. I didn't realize how "Buchla-esque" this thing is. How embarrassing. Okay, the chaotic oscillators are a cool twist on the complex oscillator idea. Sheesh... I don't have Buchla but I do have an Endorphin.es Shuttle Sytem... and Aalto, and the Easel model in Arturia Collection V.
------------------------------------------
Gribs

Next week there'll be a free update to Generate (and Pendulate) with a bunch of new features, including a new Generator type called Helix. Helix is based on spirals and creates a harmonically rich sound that can fade smoothly to noisy chaos at the extremes. Generate 1.2 coming soon... :party:

martinjuenke wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:39 pm Next week there'll be a free update to Generate (and Pendulate) with a bunch of new features, including a new Generator type called Helix. Helix is based on spirals and creates a harmonically rich sound that can fade smoothly to noisy chaos at the extremes. Generate 1.2 coming soon... :party:
Great !

Thanks for the heads up. I'm glad they keep on improving Generate and Pendulate features.

Looking forward to the 1.2 update next week. :tu:

martinjuenke wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:39 pm Next week there'll be a free update to Generate (and Pendulate) with a bunch of new features, including a new Generator type called Helix. Helix is based on spirals and creates a harmonically rich sound that can fade smoothly to noisy chaos at the extremes. Generate 1.2 coming soon... :party:
:party:

Generate is one of the most inspiring (because being unique and unconventional) synths currently. :love: :phones: :tu:

martinjuenke wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:04 pm Generate is one of the most inspiring (because being unique and unconventional) synths currently. :love: :phones: :tu:
agreed! and with MPE, wow!

Awesome. Looking forward to it. I just started getting up the nerve to roll my own with this thing. What a blast.
Tangled roots perplex her ways.

I'm already seeing Generate 1.2.0 in my Eventide account. Here are the release notes:

Version 1.2.0
  • New Helix generator mode is based on spirals, creating a bright chaotic sound.
  • New Crescent generator mode is a bright with a clean clear tone.
  • New Magma generator mode is smooth and warm, with a clear vintage tone, and is useful for making very playable sounds.
  • Added support for new tunings via MTS-ESP.
  • Added master pitch modulation to the Pitch Bend knob.
  • Put the Generator Interval Parameter on a full sized knob and made it a modulation destination.
  • Added modulation to the LFOs, Envelopes, and S+H module.
  • Added a LOOP mode to the Envelopes, turning them into LFOs.
  • Added a modulatable Output Level control to the LFOs and Sample and Hold modules. Also added a Bipolar switch allowing them to be bipolar outputs.

telecharge wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:22 am
  • Added modulation to the LFOs, Envelopes, and S+H module.
  • Added a LOOP mode to the Envelopes, turning them into LFOs.
  • Added a modulatable Output Level control to the LFOs and Sample and Hold modules. Also added a Bipolar switch allowing them to be bipolar outputs.
:love:

Huge update overall :o

Return to “Instruments”