Steinberg Backbone - Drum Re-synthesizer

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Is anyone using this on windows 10? I still can't get the layer presets to load. It's says I don't have a license for them. Normal presets (which load the layer presets) work fine.

Re-synthesizing a sitar accent in Steinberg Backbone, some descriptions are embedded in the video.

https://youtu.be/zi3OtdfCeIY

almost bought it until I found out that you can't make drum kits (like playing full drum kit) and play them live! How the hell is it possible in drum machine? Only one shots... ((( Its neither synth nor drum machine!
Hope they will update it soon

tim.benetonn wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 6:09 pm almost bought it until I found out that you can't make drum kits (like playing full drum kit) and play them live! How the hell is it possible in drum machine? Only one shots... ((( Its neither synth nor drum machine!
They have Groove Agent and HALion for drumkits, Backbone is a very capable one shot-machine.

focusrite wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:30 am Is anyone using this on windows 10? I still can't get the layer presets to load. It's says I don't have a license for them. Normal presets (which load the layer presets) work fine.
Strange as it may sound, it might be a problem with your e-licenser software. Update it to the latest version. Assuming you are using the latest version of the plugin.

If that still does not help, you might need to delete the old soft e-licenser file (somewhere in ProgramData/Syncrosoft) and then need to get new activation codes. There is an FAQ on how to do that, so please make sure you understand that before deleting the soft e-licenser file.

Saying this based on my experience with Padshop 2 and Retrologue 2. I am also on Windows 10. I am using the soft e-licenser, no dongle.

All this might not be needed, but just in case nothing is helping, you can try these things. :)

I might buy this, currently on sale 🤔

Yeah, but it is still quite expensive.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Sampleconstruct wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 7:23 pm
tim.benetonn wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 6:09 pm almost bought it until I found out that you can't make drum kits (like playing full drum kit) and play them live! How the hell is it possible in drum machine? Only one shots... ((( Its neither synth nor drum machine!
They have Groove Agent and HALion for drumkits, Backbone is a very capable one shot-machine.
I love my Groove Agent!! Best discovery since sliced bread .. (coming from a Maschine guy.)

Backbone looks like a clone of a UVI type product. I guess the market is 808 beat makers.
🌐 Spotify 🔵 Soundcloud 🌀 Soundclick

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

BONES wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 7:59 am Yeah, but it is still quite expensive.
quite right - it looks like they're testing the sales with the 30% first , a while ago Iconica was 50% off.
I dare to say - by the end of 2021 many vst will be 50% off - never gets any better then that.
I would not be surprised if Absolute 5 included some kind of light versions of the big releases
Backbone ( One,LE or stg...). In the end it's all about sales ( low nr of vst sales - better % Sale - sooner). Being patient is a virtue..
MPG X670E CARBON Ryzen 9 7900, 64Gb 6K DDR5 4x2tb Nvmes

Iconica sound kind of cool.
🌐 Spotify 🔵 Soundcloud 🌀 Soundclick

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

Do i right understand that here is unable to modulate Position knob (in Resynth module) thru some internal lfo\envelope ? (Nor Speed fader?)

50 % sale now
Mac Studio
Cubase 13, Ableton Live 12

I should say, pretty difficult choice. Been dig trial last night. Will not criticize its uncertain practical application (since this has already been done before me). But if really perceive him as a kind of one-shot designer, then there really is not enough modulations capability (what I asked about above) to give benefit to such "instant" approach (and justify the price at the same time).
(In my opinion)

Added: >in theory< I agree with the idea of introducing it into the GA engine, it would make much more sense (again, at least in the his current form). Although on the other hand, such a multiplication of this system within one plugin might create a cpu\ram load problem.
Summarizing - for implantation it is too heavy. For separately - pretty limited featurewise.

In general i don't know lol. Even at discount price (which need say, not a cheap too. I think, would be sense to give an additional discount for GA or Halion\Padshop users, especially since this in some sense repeats this engine. ).

I think the re-synthesis engine in Backbone sounds pretty fantastic, it's an advanced version of the spectral oscillator used in Padshop 2.

Ofcourse Resynth section is most interesting part in it. But, how it possible to neglect of modulation of playback position considering most delicious ability of spectral engine, i don't know.
This one little thing would add more variability than almost everything already there. At the same time, being in perfect harmony with the plugin aesthetic. Which, as it were, implies creation "within", without outside \ additional processing. Otherwise (when resorting to automation as well), imo the value of such an idea is near to depreciates considering those plugins that are already available without Backbone.

Return to “Instruments”