How many of you use Studio One 5's Show Page?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion

Are you using Show Page?

I use it!
4%
I checked it out, but it's not for me
26%
Never even bothered to see what it's all about...
70%

Total votes: 92

RELATED
PRODUCTS

One of the headlines of Studio One v5 was "Show Page", i.e. a feature that would help you build, execute and control a live performance. I remember it received a pretty lukewarm reception on release, as people rather expected a "traditional" (hehe :) ) clip launcher instead. Also Presonus doesn't seem to believe in it a lot, since it's only mentioned in last, 7th row of "features unique to Studio One" and I don't recall many videos about it shortly after release.

https://www.presonus.com/products/Studi ... Studio-One

So, who's using it? Is it good? Or has Presonus made a wrong call and dedicated a lot of effort to a pretty niche feature no one wanted?
Last edited by antic604 on Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

IMHO, Live/Bitwig's approach has better workflow. S1's way is somewhat mimicking Mainstage and it's trying to cater more for live band's (acoustic) musicians than electronic musicians (Live/Bitwig).
The problem is that is "half-baked", way underpowered compared to Mainstage and not even close to please Live/Bitwig crowd, so it's a waste of programmer's hours and resources, if you ask me.
I think they should better focus on further improving arranger and scratch pad features than trying to compete with all possible daw's.
Hopefully, V6 will not bring anything major new but instead improve over existing features like adding more Note FX and refining current ones, refining and improving current FX (not just re-skinning) to be on pair with Logic's/Live's quality grade (even Cubase included FX is top notch compared to S1's), and focus on workflow in arranging and mixing with "quality of life" additions and improvements, like looping events by dragging (like Bitwig/Logic loop regions).
The only "major" feature that I personally would like to see in S1 is some kind of "native" modulation system like Bitwig/Live/Logic (somewhat) has. For a start LFO and envelope modulator would be excellent.
Other than that, Presonus, please stop bloating S1 with half-baked features and focus on improving current ones. (and give us more UI color options, damn it :) )

When you say "electronic musicians", what I think you mean is people doing dance music like a DJ. Because I've been an electronic musician for 40 years and what Live and Bitwig have to offer is of less than no use to me.

My initial interest in Studio One was solely because of the Show Page, although before I bought it I had already worked out that it probably wouldn't be of much use to us. However, almost all the bands we've played with over the years would find it perfect for the way they do their shows. For us, though, we still like to play everything live, not bounce it down beforehand. Sure, it probably makes no real difference but it matters to us that as much as possible is generated on stage in real-time.

If you didn't have to pre-render a song to put it into the Show Page, I'd be all over it. As it stands, I'm really, really happy with the way S1 lets you preload a whole set's worth of songs and swap from one to the next in just a few seconds. It means I got what I was after from S1 in a completely different way to the one I expected.
Last edited by BONES on Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:04 am When you say "electronic musicians", what I think you mean is people doing dance music like a DJ. Because I've been an electronic musician for 40 years and what Live and Bitwig have to offer is of less than no use to me.
Yes, you're right. I did mean on "loop-based" electronic musicians (4x4, techno, house, edm crap, dnb etc) :wink:
Did you try Mainstage? I think it was designed for musicians like you.

No, I haven't because I don't really want to have one host for the studio and a different one for the stage. Doing that just means you waste time moving things back and forth all the time. Honestly, Studio One has been a revelation, I have taken to it like a duck to water. It's so easy to use and as full-featured as anyone could want. After around two years with Cubase, I was still going back to Orion for most things but I'd only had S1 for a few months before I was using it for absolutely everything. It has been six months or more since I last opened Orion and that, in itself, utterly amazes me.

All I was looking to do was reduce the time between the end of one song and the start of the next, especially since moving to 64 bit and discovering songs take 10 times longer to load in Orion. And they are so slow in Cubase that I never considered using it live. So to be able to pre-load a whole set into S1 and switch from one to the next in (literally) one second is more than I could have reasonably hoped for.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

I would have preferred something that is more suited to nonlinear music creation than for use in a live show. What I like about Ableton's session view is that it's a great environment for experimenting with ideas before laying down a linear track. Logic did a nice job with their implementation in this regard. FL Studio is also very much designed around this, with their patterns facilitating experimenting with different structures easily. Studio One's show page is squarely aimed at live music, and it's probably well executed for that. But I would have preferred something that took the best of the others for creating music in a non-sequential way.

I just have to ask if it serves any practicality since the world has been turned on it head with the Covid19 pandemic.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

I think that makes it more important than ever, so we are all ready to get out there when live performances resume next year (after the vaccine has been widely distributed).
boark wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:35 amI would have preferred something that is more suited to nonlinear music creation than for use in a live show.
You mean like scratch pads? They are already there. Or you can use the timeline and turn on the option of having the loop follow your current selection - right-click on the loop icon in the transport bar (I changed the hotkey and I can't remember what the original was). Doing that makes it work exactly like a pattern-based workflow. It's a really cool feature I only discovered recently (thank you, Gregor).

BONES wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:04 am
boark wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:35 amI would have preferred something that is more suited to nonlinear music creation than for use in a live show.
You mean like scratch pads? They are already there. Or you can use the timeline and turn on the option of having the loop follow your current selection - right-click on the loop icon in the transport bar (I changed the hotkey and I can't remember what the original was). Doing that makes it work exactly like a pattern-based workflow. It's a really cool feature I only discovered recently (thank you, Gregor).
He means like Ableton session view. So loop based, non-linear arranger. Logic just added their own version of this too and I couldn't agree more with him. It's definitely becoming a necessity. And with Ableton adding more traditional features like audio and midi comping to make up for years of slacking on the linear arranger, Logic really nailing absolutely everything that was missing in the latest 10.5.x releases, Studio One needs to balance itself back out and adopt modern workflows. Studio One also completely lacks proper MIDI and Audio routing which makes entire plugins not work like Arturia Vocoder V.

What's so special about Session View? I sure as hell can't see anything non-linear about it. You can do all that stuff in Studio One in a way that may be different but is no harder to use and probably more powerful overall. If you use scratch pads, arranger tracks and the loop trick I mentioned above, you could easily develop a better, more powerful workflow than that offered by Live's Session View. In fact, I reckon I could set-up a template that was pretty much exactly Session View in Studio One if I wanted to. The main difference would be that the horizontal and vertical axes would be switched. i.e. Your scenes would be vertical, not horizontal.

THE INTRANCER wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:41 am I just have to ask if it serves any practicality since the world has been turned on it head with the Covid19 pandemic.
Obviously. But even if someone usually performs live and for now can't, they'd at least go & try how it works, maybe prepare few sets to be ready, rehearse in their basement, record video or stream on-line, etc.
Music tech enthusiast

BONES wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:56 amIf you use scratch pads, arranger tracks and the loop trick I mentioned above, you could easily develop a better, more powerful workflow than that offered by Live's Session View. In fact, I reckon I could set-up a template that was pretty much exactly Session View in Studio One if I wanted to.
You reckon wrong. You seem to have very surface-level understanding of what clip launchers do :)

I'm not saying you need to know more or that you'd ever need them, but you simply can't replicate their functionality - let alone have a "better" one - in Studio One.
Music tech enthusiast

BONES wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:04 am I think that makes it more important than ever, so we are all ready to get out there when live performances resume next year (after the vaccine has been widely distributed).
Oh so now you watching Gregor now lol.

antic604 wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:06 am
BONES wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:56 amIf you use scratch pads, arranger tracks and the loop trick I mentioned above, you could easily develop a better, more powerful workflow than that offered by Live's Session View. In fact, I reckon I could set-up a template that was pretty much exactly Session View in Studio One if I wanted to.
You reckon wrong. You seem to have very surface-level understanding of what clip launchers do :)

I'm not saying you need to know more or that you'd ever need them, but you simply can't replicate their functionality - let alone have a "better" one - in Studio One.
I don't think he understands the latest modern day features for music creation.

Unless the Show page appeals to more modern music producers/creators it's not going to get much attention. Presonus isn't competing with Cubase or DP but FL/Ableton. Go on youtube, and you will barely find any content on the show page. Matter fact when questions get asked about the show page via the S1 facebook group nobody answers it lol. It's always Ableton related questions when it comes to the show page.

Presonus staff wanted the show page, so let's see with what they wanted equals sales vs what the market demands.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”