Dune: mostly just EDM?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
New Horizons - Dune 3 Presets Universal - Dune 3 Presets

Saw a demo of Dune 3, sounds nice, looks like a lot of features...but seems very or almost entirely oriented to EDM. Agree/disagree? I'm not into EDM and have more than enough such sounds elsewhere if I ever need.

why ask in a diff company's forum?

to answer the question, a lot of presets may be aimed at that group (plenty of customers I guess) but no synth is genre specific

New year hangover? doh. Thanks - asking mod to move

Yeah I'm a preset jockey more or less, so that's largely what I was getting at. I think some synths do tend to lend themselves not to an exact genre necessarily, but a more general type of music vs others.

Well, there are commercial "cinematic" and "ambient" banks I've seen, prob more diff styles if you look around.

its capable of any genre really.... what kinda stuff are you after?

i use dune3 all the time (pop music, hiphop, filmwork); it's a great synth, in my top 5. you can use anything in any style of music, that's sort-of the fun of it, to use something on your own terms. dune3 is worth having...

I just bought it. The presets are tailored towards edm I think, but the VA engine is good with nice filters so you can definitely do other stuff. If you're purely presets I'd strat clear if that type of sounds isn't your thing.

mixyguy2 wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:13 pm Saw a demo of Dune 3, sounds nice, looks like a lot of features...but seems very or almost entirely oriented to EDM.
What does that even mean? Do you mean the factory sounds?

I don't think developers develop their synths thinking "Um... yeah... I do this and that now to make the synth attractive for EDM producers...". It's rather the presentation (sound demos etc.) which caters to a potential customer base.

a versatile synth like dune, can be used in any style really (except maybe symphonic before any idiots chime in. feckers).

there may well be a greater number of edm related presets available, but sadly that's because they sell well, so everybody and their pet chinchilla make them, which helps perpetuate the myth that a synth is for edm.

if you rely heavily on presets, then you have to look around, but as anx says, there are others available :)

There are Ambient and Cinematic banks available as well.

https://www.synapse-audio.com/products.html

chk071 wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:28 pm
mixyguy2 wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:13 pm Saw a demo of Dune 3, sounds nice, looks like a lot of features...but seems very or almost entirely oriented to EDM.
What does that even mean? Do you mean the factory sounds?
tbf to the guy, ive seen err.. "sound designers" :cough cough: say things like "this is an edm synth for sure..."
or even "will i be able to make suitable patches for trance?"
usually offering a synth as an example of the sounds they wish to make "like sylenth is a trance synth"

2 things, sylenth is many things.
and if you already know sylenth can do what you wish, why not just use sylenth?? grrr.

vurt wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:28 pm there may well be a greater number of edm related presets available, but sadly that's because they sell well, so everybody and their pet chinchilla make them, which helps perpetuate the myth that a synth is for edm.
That's the point, I think.

Actually, I always thought Dune is much better at soundscapes and pads than for EDM sounds. It can do those too, but, I much prefer other synths for that. I know this will earn me some thumbs down again, because, yo! It's the Chuck Norris of synths! :lol:

It's a quite complex synth 3 shared lfos, 4 unipolar msegs, and 2 parallel fx lists.

On top of that 8 layers with 2 WT/VA/FM oscs, a trivial VA osc, noise source, a mixer, ring mod, 2 adsrs and two filters with simple fx and variable topologies (no feedback).

It does what the user wants it to do. If I had all my others synths removed and be left with only Dune3 I'd do fine, even though I'd miss a comb filter.

I use it for obscure sounds effects like an alien forest or so :)

Return to “Instruments”