Do You Love Your MIDI Controller?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

As far as keys go, I can't recommend any good feeling keybeds, your better off grabbing an older synth,or workstation. The modern midi controllers, are all mostly junk china plastic. This includes expensive ones like the Komplete Kontrol MK2, which I have , but can't recommend over say a used korg,kurzweil,roland or yamaha, I think in most cases, those would trump even the highend china crap.
INTERFACE: RME ADI-2/4 Pro/Antelope Orion Studio Synergy Core/BAE 1073 MPF Dual/Heritage Audio Successor+SYMPH EQ
SYNTHS: Moog Matriarch/Korg Kronos X 88/Yamaha Montage M8x/Sequential Trigon 6/DM12
Behringer DM12D/Pro-800

In order of preference:
Studiologic VMK-188+ (x2)
Studiologic SL88 Studio

Arturia Keylab Essential 88 (Spouse's)
Emu XBoard 61 (x2)
Korg NanoKontrol 2
Korg padKontrol
Korg NanoPad 2

The VMK is my one of choice for feel and playability. (That's why I have two.)

I think that love is perhaps too strong a word to describe the emotions I feel towards my Nektar midi keyboard.
I'm very fond of it and it lives on the computer desk near to my bed.
But would I ever let it slip under my duvet for a quick bit of hanky panky? Never!

dark water wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:24 pm But would I ever let it slip under my duvet for a quick bit of hanky panky? Never!

Gives new meaning to “aftertouch” :hihi:
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7 | TR-8S | MPC One | TD-3 MO

cryophonik wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:35 pm
dark water wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:24 pm But would I ever let it slip under my duvet for a quick bit of hanky panky? Never!
Gives new meaning to “aftertouch” :hihi:
:lol:

i try not to get to deeply involved with anything so bent on control, but i have been known to have the making the sex and the love with all yours, when you're at work :)

I don't.

But there's nothing wrong with *them*.
They just remind me I can't play to save my life :(
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Like many of you, I think 'love' is too strong a word to describe my relationship.. but I had an older Arturia "The Laboratory" that had very sensitive touch, and would let me play her to all hours without complaint. She also brought new meaning to organ play. Ah.. those were the carefree days..

On a serious note.. that "The Laboratory" has exceptional aftertouch / keybed, wooden endcheeks, and held up for a dozen years. I have a Novation SL MKIII now, which is OK - but the keybed is not as great as that "The Laboratory". I've had a half dozen other cheap controllers (M-Audio junk) over the years, too.

No.. I've got a novation launchkey and dont like the keys at all. Knobs and buttons are ok.

I owned an edirol pcr500 and loved it. Keys felt just right. Sadly it was stolen

Im looking at possibly NI s49 or a49. A49 looks better value for money and I'm hoping the keys are like the edirol.
What gets me with the ni s49 is the price. For that kind of money i could pick up an actual synth on ebay

discogsaddict wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:14 am No.. I've got a novation launchkey and dont like the keys at all. Knobs and buttons are ok.

I owned an edirol pcr500 and loved it. Keys felt just right. Sadly it was stolen

Im looking at possibly NI s49 or a49. A49 looks better value for money and I'm hoping the keys are like the edirol.
What gets me with the ni s49 is the price. For that kind of money i could pick up an actual synth on ebay
I agree about the Launchkey, I just sold a 37 mk3 because I couldn't get used to the keybed and I always ended up using the S61 mk2 or the Studiologic SL88 instead. The Ableton integration was cool but I don't use Ableton that much these days.

About s49 vs a49. I would say that the A49 is really good for the price but it won't be a big difference from any other controller (keybed preferences aside). The S-series with the screens and all the extra functionality feels more like a hardware workstation and you can do a lot from the controller especially if you use Maschine.

You also get Komplete SELECT with the S-Series which has a better (cheaper) upgrade path for the rest of the Komplete Series.

Don't expect too much from the Launchkeys... very cheap controllers.

i have several.

Korg NanoKontrol i kind of hate because it's not what i thought it would be. it's a good controller if you need something like that, but i didn't gel with it at all.

Akai LPD8 is something i greatly enjoy using when i have the chanсe, the only problem being that sometimes touch sensitivity of the pads backfires because i try to use them like buttons and end up disappointed.

Line6 FBV MKII has, up until about a year ago, been my workhorse for live guitar playing. it's limited, and its wah button became hard to press over time, but it's well built and has lasted me years.

Nektar Pacer is my current controller for live guitar use, together with a MIDI Lab script that turns it into a beast of a controller. i love this thing, it's really one of the most versatile controllers ever made.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

spacepluk wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:47 am
discogsaddict wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:14 am No.. I've got a novation launchkey and dont like the keys at all. Knobs and buttons are ok.

I agree about the Launchkey, I just sold a 37 mk3 because I couldn't get used to the keybed and I always ended up using the S61 mk2 or the Studiologic SL88 instead. The Ableton integration was cool but I don't use Ableton that much these days.

About s49 vs a49. I would say that the A49 is really good for the price but it won't be a big difference from any other controller (keybed preferences aside). The S-series with the screens and all the extra functionality feels more like a hardware workstation and you can do a lot from the controller especially if you use Maschine.

You also get Komplete SELECT with the S-Series which has a better (cheaper) upgrade path for the rest of the Komplete Series.
Thanks that's good to know. Pretty sure I'm going to get one of them.
I already own komplete ultimate 13 so on one hand its worth getting the s49 but also the bundled software will be useless. Itd be cool if I could get one cheaper with no software or trade it for something else

I'm not sure if you'll feel it much in the top tiers, but you could sell your license and get the upgrade from SELECT.

Burillo wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:20 pmAkai LPD8 is something i greatly enjoy using when i have the chanсe, the only problem being that sometimes touch sensitivity of the pads backfires because i try to use them like buttons and end up disappointed.
As in you have to hit them harder than you expect? If you didn't know there are fixes out there, DIYing bits of tape under the pads or kits to buy (ebay).

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”